Bond Movie To Be Adapted For Radio

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Toby Stephens to be Bond on radio

Post by carl stromberg »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7380086.stm

007 villain to play Bond on radio

Stephens and Suchet will star in the radio version of Dr No

Actor Toby Stephens, who played villain Gustav Graves in Die Another Day, will play James Bond in the first full radio adaptation of Dr No.

Poirot star David Suchet will play villain Dr No in the Radio 4 adaption, being broadcast on 24 May to mark 100 years since author Ian Fleming's birth.

The station will also air a documentary following Fleming's niece's attempts to find out more about her uncle.

The two programmes are of a season honouring the Bond creator.

In James Bond, The Last Englishman, Professor David Cannadine argues that the Bond novels have played a key role in shaping England's national self-image.

Radio 4 will also re-run Amis, Amis and Bond, featuring writer Martin Amis talking about his father's obsessive interest with Bond and Fleming's writing.

Published in 1958, Dr No was Fleming's sixth Bond novel, and four years later became the first to be made into a film.

It sees Bond sent to Jamaica to investigate the mysterious disappearance of two of his colleagues.

The Radio 4 adaptation's cast also includes Samuel West, John Standing, Martin Jarvis and Peter Capaldi.

Bring back Bond!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Bond Movie To Be Adapted For Radio

Post by Goldeneye »

The first James Bond movie, Dr. No, is being adapted as a radio drama by the BBC, which plans to air it on May 24 to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of Ian Fleming, Bond's creator. Dr. No was Fleming's sixth spy novel, published 50 years ago. Toby Stephens, who played the villain in 2002's 007 flick Die Another Day, will play Bond in the BBC audio drama. David Suchet, who played Hercule Poirot in the Bbc-tv series based on the Agatha Christie detective stories, has been cast as the villain, Dr. No. BBC Radio said that on the same night it also plans to air an audio documentary, James Bond, the Last Englishman, in which David Cannadine, director of the Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, will argue that the Bond novels have played a key role in shaping his country's self-image.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Bond Movie To Be Adapted For Radio

Post by carl stromberg »

I have a copy of this if anyone wants it.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Is it an adaptation of the movie, or of the novel? I know DN was probably one of the more faithful movie adaptations, but there are still significant differences between book and film.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
retrokitty
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, DN, FRWL, TB, CR
Favorite Movies: Withnail & I, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Post by retrokitty »

Kristatos wrote:Is it an adaptation of the movie, or of the novel? I know DN was probably one of the more faithful movie adaptations, but there are still significant differences between book and film.
From the post above, and this link from which I think the post came, it appears to be an adaptation of the movie.

Here's a review.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

retrokitty wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Is it an adaptation of the movie, or of the novel? I know DN was probably one of the more faithful movie adaptations, but there are still significant differences between book and film.
From the post above, and this link from which I think the post came, it appears to be an adaptation of the movie.
But the BBC website says it's adapted from the novel, and I'll always trust a primary over a secondary source.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
retrokitty
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, DN, FRWL, TB, CR
Favorite Movies: Withnail & I, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Post by retrokitty »

Kristatos wrote:
retrokitty wrote:
But the BBC website says it's adapted from the novel, and I'll always trust a primary over a secondary source.
Good find... I'd looked but didn't see that site... Curious about the other reports then. Should anyone have heard it or find a script, please report!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Cool! This would be a good one for the drive home. Can't enjoy anything on the drive in, driving home is different the weight of the day is off and the rest of the world falls away. Unless the kids are in trouble with their Mother. What can I say they are evil :mrgreen:
Anyone find out if it is the book or movie yet?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Re: Toby Stephens to be Bond on radio

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Ironic that the radio Bond would be a better choice for the movie Bond and the other way around.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Ironic that the radio Bond would be a better choice for the movie Bond and the other way around.
The old saying "he has a good face for radio" does apply to Craig. :twisted:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Toby Stephens wasn't that great in DAD.
I Don't think he'll be good as Bond
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Omega wrote:Toby Stephens wasn't that great in DAD.
It's not his fault though.