"The Ages of Bond" - charater developement in the novels

Fiction and Nonfiction Book Discussions and Reviews
nanolark
New Recruit

"The Ages of Bond" - charater developement in the novels

Post by nanolark »

I’d like to say official “Hello” to the elders of the forum and ask a few questions :)
Lately I came across this article http://literary007.com/2014/07/26/the-t ... ames-bond/
It started to fascinate me how Bond’s image gradually changed within Fleming’s books. What’s more, other authors added new elements on their own, thus ultimately changing the original persona. Do you see similar stages in the non-Fleming-written books? And with which of the stages would you match SOLO? ( if at all)
BTW have you ever seen articles or book chapter on the similar topic? Apart from the fact that the number of books about the novel-Bond is rather limited, there is even less materials about the development/change of the main character – something as analytical as Eco’s article about the narration.
all best,
nano
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: "The Ages of Bond" - charater developement in the novels

Post by Kristatos »

Welcome to the forum, nano :cheers:

I haven't read enough of the continuation novels to really comment, but hopefully others will have some thoughts.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

nanolark wrote:I’d like to say official “Hello” to the elders of the forum and ask a few questions :)
Lately I came across this article http://literary007.com/2014/07/26/the-t ... ames-bond/
It started to fascinate me how Bond’s image gradually changed within Fleming’s books. What’s more, other authors added new elements on their own, thus ultimately changing the original persona. Do you see similar stages in the non-Fleming-written books? And with which of the stages would you match SOLO? ( if at all)
BTW have you ever seen articles or book chapter on the similar topic? Apart from the fact that the number of books about the novel-Bond is rather limited, there is even less materials about the development/change of the main character – something as analytical as Eco’s article about the narration.
all best,
nano
Welcome!
We have Gardner and Benson fans here if we can catch their attention I'm sure they have a wealth of knowledge to share.
I have not read SOLO yet, in fact it is the only 007 nook published I did not buy day one in years. Not a comment on the book just my attitude towards the franchises.

I do agree with the articles premise of a shifting Bond in Ian's mind. Some of it I believe had to do with writing partnerships and later with the movies.

My impression from some of Raymond's books I read not too long ago. His fist story I though he was desperately trying to channel Ian, but more or less by High Time to Kill had settled in to a character closer to the movies.

Probably in the minority, I enjoyed Carte Blanche. To me it was closer to a proper modern reboot than EON managed. I would liked to have seen where Deaver would take his Bond, however the cliffhanger making it more personal with his parents death I thought would be a mistake. I do think Ian would recognizance Deave's 007.

Devil May Care Less said about that the better.

What are your thoughts on this Nano?

I'll look through my books I may have something with more detail about the character and the books. Have your heard of The James Bond Bedside Companion By Raymond Benson? Probably a good place to start.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
nanolark
New Recruit

Post by nanolark »

Firstly, thank you both for your comments.
Dear Blowfeld, let me put it this way, I couldn't agree more with every aspect of your comment, especially Devil May Care.
In general, I like the idea of Bond as a changing hero and the final shape of Fleming's original series almost like a Bildungsroman.
When it comes to SOLO, since you haven't read it i'll try not to spoil it.
I would say that Bond is somewhere between being a human and the 'suffering' stage. On the one hand, one may read about the elaborate description of meals, places etc. Bond is as always witty and deadly charming. On the other hand, it's probably just me, but I feel like he's tired and tripping up most of the time.
I've already read Benson's JB Companion, since that was, literary, the only book in the library focused on the analysis of the series.
I'm trying to find digital versions of for instance Amis's The James Bond Dossier, T. Bennett's The Bond Phenomenon: Theorising a Popular Hero or The Official Companion to Ian Fleming’s Creation by Chancellor. I understand that it may be naive but i'll keep on looking. Are there any online sources, about which i apparently don't know, that have scans or just plain text of such books? I've found fragments through google books but since these are only fragments, it's sometimes difficult to read just the scattered pieces of author's thoughts.