Carte Blanche review

Fiction and Nonfiction Book Discussions and Reviews
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Carte Blanche review

Post by The Sweeney »

Just read Carte Blanche, and although it is a d**n sight better than Devil May Care (not such a difficult feat) this novel still lacks the Fleming touch. Deaver does at least try to emulate Fleming's style, and for most part does a fairly decent attempt, Some nice twists throughout, and the villain is fairly creepy, The reboot idea is not too bad either,

However, the chapter structure was all wrong - numbered chapters with no titles, too short and way too many of them. The novel seemed to be in such a hurry, and didn't allow itself to prolong at a leisurely pace like the Fleming books, and because of this it felt closer to the films than the novels. Also, Deaver never really gets under Bond's skin.

No one can truly emulate the books because it was Fleming's thoughts, opinions and vision alone. This became all too apparent when reading Carte Blanche.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Carte Blanche review

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote: No one can truly emulate the books because it was Fleming's thoughts, opinions and vision alone. This became all too apparent when reading Carte Blanche.
What do you think of Colonel Sun, Sweeney? I still have yet to read it, but it's next on my list once I've finished re-reading Fleming (just the rest of YOLT and TMWTGG to go now, though it's not that long since the last time I read the latter).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
The Sweeney wrote: No one can truly emulate the books because it was Fleming's thoughts, opinions and vision alone. This became all too apparent when reading Carte Blanche.
What do you think of Colonel Sun, Sweeney? I still have yet to read it, but it's next on my list once I've finished re-reading Fleming (just the rest of YOLT and TMWTGG to go now, though it's not that long since the last time I read the latter).
I think Amis came closest to Fleming with Colonel Sun, helped by the fact it was written around the same time Fleming wrote the novels. It's actually not that bad, and I would like to see a film adaptation of this book, as its the only worthy Bond novel outside of Fleming's that deserves a film adaptation, IMO.

Go for it Kris. I think you'll like it, especially on the back of reading YOLT and TMWTGG (Colonel Sun follows on from where TMWTGG finishes).

In fact, its been a few years since I've read it myself, so I think I should pick it up again soon to give it another go.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Sweeney wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
I think Amis came closest to Fleming with Colonel Sun, helped by the fact it was written around the same time Fleming wrote the novels. It's actually not that bad, and I would like to see a film adaptation of this book, as its the only worthy Bond novel outside of Fleming's that deserves a film adaptation, IMO.

Go for it Kris. I think you'll like it, especially on the back of reading YOLT and TMWTGG (Colonel Sun follows on from where TMWTGG finishes).

In fact, its been a few years since I've read it myself, so I think I should pick it up again soon to give it another go.
I might have a go as well.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Sweeney wrote:Just read Carte Blanche, and although it is a d**n sight better than Devil May Care (not such a difficult feat) this novel still lacks the Fleming touch. Deaver does at least try to emulate Fleming's style, and for most part does a fairly decent attempt, Some nice twists throughout, and the villain is fairly creepy, The reboot idea is not too bad either,

However, the chapter structure was all wrong - numbered chapters with no titles, too short and way too many of them. The novel seemed to be in such a hurry, and didn't allow itself to prolong at a leisurely pace like the Fleming books, and because of this it felt closer to the films than the novels. Also, Deaver never really gets under Bond's skin.

No one can truly emulate the books because it was Fleming's thoughts, opinions and vision alone. This became all too apparent when reading Carte Blanche.
Ian was James, everyone else are imposters playing a guessing game. Deaver I think has successfully created his Bond and is under His 007's skin if he can write a few more like this I think he'll be a smash.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Blowfeld wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:Just read Carte Blanche, and although it is a d**n sight better than Devil May Care (not such a difficult feat) this novel still lacks the Fleming touch. Deaver does at least try to emulate Fleming's style, and for most part does a fairly decent attempt, Some nice twists throughout, and the villain is fairly creepy, The reboot idea is not too bad either,

Ian was James, everyone else are imposters playing a guessing game. Deaver I think has successfully created his Bond and is under His 007's skin if he can write a few more like this I think he'll be a smash.
Did you read Carte Blanche, Blowfeld? I take it you enjoyed it then?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Sweeney wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:

Did you read Carte Blanche, Blowfeld? I take it you enjoyed it then?
With some qualifications yes. It was one of the best 007 books of recent memory.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Blowfeld wrote: With some qualifications yes. It was one of the best 007 books of recent memory.
I quite liked what Deaver did with updating Bond into present time, but wasn't too keen on all the stuff with Bond's parents. I don't think Fleming would have approved of that.
Also, Bond as a character needed to be fleshed out more, I thought.

But I really enjoyed many of the twists, my favourite part when Bond is tailing the villain to the airport in the UK. I thought that was nicely done.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The Sweeney wrote:
Blowfeld wrote: With some qualifications yes. It was one of the best 007 books of recent memory.
I quite liked what Deaver did with updating Bond into present time, but wasn't too keen on all the stuff with Bond's parents. I don't think Fleming would have approved of that.
Also, Bond as a character needed to be fleshed out more, I thought.

But I really enjoyed many of the twists, my favourite part when Bond is tailing the villain to the airport in the UK. I thought that was nicely done.
I agree completely. His parents should rest in peace, it is a mistake to try to add more meaning to their death and to have 007 obsessing over it.

The only thing Ian's 007 obsessed over was the death of Tracy, even that was short lived.

I do believe Deaver captured James appreciation and respect of women. It is not Ian Fleming's 007........ It is Jeffrey Deaver's. While being different in a strange way it is more respectful than the Movies series was. Even though in Deaver's reboot gave every consideration to the classic movie series ending in 2002.