Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

The Foundation Series

Post by Blowfeld »

I am reading the Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov.
Fascinating books! Astounding considering he started writing the stories in his early twentys and continued writing the books over the course of forty years.

The premise centres around Hari Seldon, a mathematician who created a branch of mathematics known as psychohistory, that can predict the future when used on a grand scale.
What sets the stories in motion is Seldon's mathematics reveals to him the imminent demise of the Galactic Empire. The dissolution of the empire will leave the universe in the dark ages for thirty thousand years. Through using his maths principals Seldon plans to greatly reduce the time time of the dark ages between the old empire to the new one. To accomplish this Seldon establishes two centres in key positions on opposite sides of the universe called the Foundation whose only purpose is to fulfil the Seldon strategy.

The books follow the first and second Foundations efforts as they confront certain pivotal crises on the road to establishing the New Galactic Empire.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The Foundation Series

Post by Kristatos »

I read them many years ago, when I was a teenager, but I can't remember anything about them.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:I read them many years ago, when I was a teenager, but I can't remember anything about them.
All part of the Seldon plan for you to buy them again ;)
I read them in school so I though I knew what they were about, as it turns out I didn't remember a thing about them. I remembered the over all plot but forgot the individual plots.

Before this the last Isaac Asimov book I read was I Robot and that was becasue of Doctor Who: Robots of Death. Which lovingly...... How do I say 'lovingly ripped off the premise' and make it sound nice? :D
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:Before this the last Isaac Asimov book I read was I Robot and that was becasue of Doctor Who: Robots of Death. Which lovingly...... How do I say 'lovingly ripped off the premise' and make it sound nice? :D
You don't have to make it sound nice. Even the biggest Doctor Who fan is well aware that the show has always stolen plot ideas from all and sundry. It's what it does with those ideas that makes it special. Give me The Robots of Death over the "official" film version starring Will Smith any day.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

You know I think there was a spin off series base on the Who show. Kaldor City, I think. I know the story was followed up in the BBC PDA Corpse Marker

RTD brought back the Robots of Death look for the 2007 Christmas special

ImageImage