Last book you read

Fiction and Nonfiction Book Discussions and Reviews
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Re: Last book you read

Post by kater23 »

Finally finished the 5th Game Of Thrones book. Lots of fun, but waaay to many loose ends with what's going on with characters!
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Just started Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

Just completed two novellas by Amelie Nothamb: Tokyo Fiance and Hygiene and the Assassin . Hygiene was her first book, written at age 25; it's a strange, fun read about a Nobel laureate who has two months to live, and the first journalists find that he's a crazed Bond villain (type): horribly obese, hairless, foul-mannered but fun to listen to. Tokyo has an interesting take on romantic love, which should interest Bond fans, plus behind the scenes in Japan. The author was born there, but grew up in Belgium. Her blurbs describe her as "controversial." Recommended for the suave repartee.
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I read the Harry Dresden series earlier this year.
Also the Flavia de Luce series a certain overrated bond 23 director bought the television rights for.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

The Kite Runner which is about a privileged boy in Afghanistan, (when the war enters the scene, he escapes to Fremont, California) his incredibly loyal best friend Hassan who is his servant, and yet he doesn't think of him as his best friend when other people are around. He betrays his best friend and so cuts him from his life for decades. Decades later, Hassan still forgives him. His bigger than life father; a bully who is more than your usual bully. Highly highly recommended; we see the Taliban as the super bums they are, horrific acts and scenes of great nobility. This has been made into a film (haven't seen it) by Dramworks, but doubt if the film can approach the book.

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Silence Of The Lambs-for some reason I've got a craving for liver, fava beans and chianti now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
errika
New Recruit

Post by errika »

The last book that I have read is 'The Vampire Diaries'. Its about love and revenge. A supernatural drama, horror, fantasy and romance. Love between a teenage girl and 163 year old vampire and revenge of an older bother against his younger brother for the sake of turning him into a vampire against his will.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Field Marshal Alanbrooke's WWII diary. It was such hard work for him and the British working with those incompetent Americans. :lol: (only joking!)
Bring back Bond!
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

The new Bridget Jones book. It's got kinda so-so reviews, but I like it. :cheers:
commander0077again
Commander

"Tokyo Suckerpunch' which may not be a laff aminute, but at least every five minutes. It's about an American journalist for "Youth in Asia" mag, he's sort of a cross between film noire and martial arts hero, since he picks up moves by attending tournaments, in this case a tournament in Japan for disabled kids. Yes, he treats that subject respectfully. He has geisha-itis, so when he sees the most beautiful girl he's ever seen stagger into a bar, he knows she's a great geisha! This is of course a sort of strange Bonded world, the Japan of yakuzas who can be your best bud, etc. I give it a medium three stars out of five, worth the read, it also has a mystical twist ....

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
commander0077again
Commander

"Fortress of Solitude" about half way thru, and it's a good read... about two best friends in Brookline, one white, one black, their love of comics and a ring that gives super powers ... I hear it's a semi-autobiography.

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

A collection of Flannery O'Connor's short stories- "Southern Gothic" is the best way to describe them.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Reading Sabre Tooth by Peter O'Donnell. Going great so far.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Rereading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Poodle Springs. Re-reading it. Love it.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

I have a couple of books I always reread: The Golden Compass is one, and Slaughterhouse Five another.
commander0077again
Commander

Technically this isn't the last book read, but close, since I've been reading several books at a time. But The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, his first novel featuring Philip Marlowe. Well, I'm now a Marlowe fan so have just read another two adventures, The High Window and Little Sister. I've also watched TBS with Humphrey Bogart. (See my comments under 'last movie watched.' ) So was nicely surprised to hear that Fleming sent a copy of LALD to Chandler, and they formed a mutual admiration society. Chandler is famous for the quote, "Bond is the man every man wants to be, and the man every woman wants to bed." He said he loved LALD. I think that Fleming was much influenced by Chandler, and Felix Leiter comes across as sort of a Marlowe-character. In contrasting their two heroes, Fleming said that Marlowe was a hero with honor, but that Bond was not intended to be a hero, just a blunt object who shoots his way out of situations. Many, if not most Bond fans don't agree. For all his flaws Bond did have heroic qualities, he did have honor and character.

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

commander0077again wrote:Technically this isn't the last book read, but close, since I've been reading several books at a time. But The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, his first novel featuring Philip Marlowe. Well, I'm now a Marlowe fan so have just read another two adventures, The High Window and Little Sister. I've also watched TBS with Humphrey Bogart. (See my comments under 'last movie watched.' ) So was nicely surprised to hear that Fleming sent a copy of LALD to Chandler, and they formed a mutual admiration society. Chandler is famous for the quote, "Bond is the man every man wants to be, and the man every woman wants to bed." He said he loved LALD. I think that Fleming was much influenced by Chandler, and Felix Leiter comes across as sort of a Marlowe-character. In contrasting their two heroes, Fleming said that Marlowe was a hero with honor, but that Bond was not intended to be a hero, just a blunt object who shoots his way out of situations. Many, if not most Bond fans don't agree. For all his flaws Bond did have heroic qualities, he did have honor and character.
Marlowe is a knight! Bond is a hero too and always does the right things on his missions.
Bring back Bond!
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Rereading Life Of Pi.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

kater23 wrote:Rereading Life Of Pi.
Is it any better than the movie?
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer