Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

New Hitchhiker's author announced

Post by Blowfeld »

New Hitchhiker's author announced

Children's author Eoin Colfer has been commissioned to write a sixth instalment of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.

Mostly Harmless, the last Hitchhiker book, was written by its creator, the late Douglas Adams, 16 years ago.

Now Adams's widow, Jane Belson, has given her approval to bring back the hapless Arthur Dent in a new book entitled And Another Thing...

Eoin Colfer, 43, is best known for the best-selling Artemis Fowl novels.

He said he was "terrified" by the prospect of creating a new Hitchhiker book almost a quarter of a century after being introduced to what he described as a "slice of satirical genius" in his late teens.

'Pressure'

"My first reaction was semi-outrage that anyone should be allowed to tamper with this incredible series," he said.

"But on reflection I realised that this is a wonderful opportunity to work with characters I have loved since childhood and give them something of my own voice while holding on to the spirit of Douglas Adams.

"I feel more pressure to perform now than I ever have with my own books," he said, adding that he was "determined that this will be the best thing I have ever written".

Jane Belson said: "I am delighted that Eoin Colfer has agreed to continue the Hitchhiker series.

"I love his books and could not think of a better person to transport Arthur, Zaphod and Marvin to pastures new. The project has my full support."

Adams died of heart failure in 2001, aged 49.

Around 16 million copies of his Hitchhiker books, which have been translated into 35 languages, have been sold around the world.

Colfer was a primary school teacher in Ireland before he secured the largest ever advance for a children's novel by an unknown author.

His Artemis Fowl series, about a teenage criminal mastermind who wreaks havoc in this world and the next, went on to sell more than 18 million copies worldwide and a film adaptation is due to go into production next year.

And Another Thing... will be published in October next year.

Find this story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7619828.stm
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: New Hitchhiker's author announced

Post by carl stromberg »

I've never read any of the Hitchhiker books :oops: . I do love the BBC tv series though.
Bring back Bond!
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The movie looks good.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The BBC series is fun.
The 2005 movie was only so-so. Although Zooey Deschanel's Trillian was quite nice.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I don't care much for the idea of someone trying to continue the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker book series.
The Starship Titanic was a different matter as was the The Salmon of Doubt.
ImageImage
katied

Post by katied »

Eh not crazy about someone continuing the Hitchiker's Guide books (see also: Faulks,Sebastian :P )
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I read the original book, years ago now. Didn't enjoy it much. never could see why it was so popular.

I guess if you majored in quantum physics you might enjoy it :?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

katied wrote:Eh not crazy about someone continuing the Hitchiker's Guide books (see also: Faulks,Sebastian :P )
Precisely what I was hoping someone would say!

In my opinion allowing sombody else to continue the series from where Douglas decided to leave it it wrong. Douglas had years to write a continuation of the story and either never got around to it or didn't want to. (His last book Mostly Harmless was published 1992)

I do think he mase some comment about how he would like to leave the Hitchiker's series on a happier note.
Douglas was working on storyline for a third 'Dirk Gently' book. Maybe they are repurposing some of those ideas for a new Hitchiker's book.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:I read the original book, years ago now. Didn't enjoy it much. never could see why it was so popular.

I guess if you majored in quantum physics you might enjoy it :?
Well, humour is a personal thing. If you don't find something funny, there's very little anyone can say to change your mind.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Precisely what I was hoping someone would say!
I'm not a fan of other authors continuing the writing of dead authors..because they do a terrible job :P

Not only that,Colfer isn't much of a writer(his Artemis Fowl books are like a bad mashup of Harry Potter and Lara Croft.But the hero is male.)
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Shock horror.
I actually agree with you on this one katied.
I say leave well alone, it doen't work well. Very difficult to re-capture the style of the original author. No matter what genre you're writing for.