The Rictus of Death

commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

The Rictus of Death

Post by commander0077again »

"The rictus of death ...." Fleming used this to great effect in his books, and I've always assumed it was an original. But this week I read Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep for the first time, and Chandler uses the term once. This was published in 1939 or so. While the term may have been in use by other authors, it's very likely that Fleming read Chandler. I'm pleasantly surprised by Chandler's mastery -- so I will start reading his other novels. He created a new world, much like Fleming did. On the subject of TBS, I enjoyed Humphrey Bogart's take. Will have to see it again, since it doesn't match the book's plot.
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: The Rictus of Death

Post by carl stromberg »

I'm reading some Phil mysteries again too. I have the first four books in an omnibus. I think Ian Fleming was influenced by Raymond Chandler. They were similar and both wrote pulp adventures (of high quality) quite late in life. They were good friends in real life too. And their heroes both had the same diet: strong black coffee, eggs and spirits. :wink:
Bring back Bond!