Are you a fan of Fleming's "The Spy who Loved Me"?

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Are you a fan of Fleming's "The Spy who Loved Me"?

Post by carl stromberg »

What do you think of the time Ian Fleming went mad and decided to do something new....?
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

I personally think this is a very good novel. Part one - `Me' does tend to trail off somewhat in parts, but the tension and build up during Part two - `Them' is very good, and by Part 3 - `Him', its a real show-stopping moment. The hero arrives in the nick of time, and I think Bond's grand entrance alone makes up for the lack of a typical Fleming plot.

But there again, what do I know. My reputation is not thought of very highly around here.....
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I don't blame him for trying something different. People were a bit snooty about Fleming's novels and he was a bit bored with the same formula and his character - similar to Herge and Tintin.
Commander 0077
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Commander 0077 »

The Sweeney wrote:I personally think this is a very good novel. Part one - `Me' does tend to trail off somewhat in parts, but the tension and build up during Part two - `Them' is very good, and by Part 3 - `Him', its a real show-stopping moment. The hero arrives in the nick of time, and I think Bond's grand entrance alone makes up for the lack of a typical Fleming plot.

But there again, what do I know. My reputation is not thought of very highly around here.....
No, you're wrong Sweeney. I, for one, would certainly miss your comments and input.

As for the novel:
There's plenty to like about it. Fleming is a good writer even when Bond doesn't appear. And when he does, we see a rather nice guy; in fact a very nice guy. So noble that he warns Viv at the end not to fall for him. The policeman at the end tells her the same. "You may be tempted to think of him as some sort of hero, but don't make that mistake." (paraphrase). (And btw, at first glance in the door, Viv assumes that Bond is 'one of them' but shortly she is summing him up as handsome with kind eyes. All through the novels, after CR, Bond is portrayed as a guy with a good heart, who doesn't relish killing. Dr. No calls him "A stupid policeman" who just does whatever he's ordered -- but we know better.)
The thugs are also fun to watch. Typical "Diamonds Are Forever" type hoods. Fleming is always Fun to read -- and much of that is because Bond is sort of a serious Mr. Bean (where did that come from?) -- just suaving through life.
You move very well for a dead man, Mr Bond
Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!
2 007
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I am currently reading all the books one by one in chronological order. After Thunderball, should I skip TSWLM and save it for later or read it anyway before OHMSS?
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

stockslivevan wrote:I am currently reading all the books one by one in chronological order. After Thunderball, should I skip TSWLM and save it for later or read it anyway before OHMSS?
Read it - and add on Colonel Sun at the end for fun!
Bring back Bond!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Are you a fan of Fleming's "The Spy who Loved Me"?

Post by Blowfeld »

I read this one again recently it was hard to get involved with at first. Normaly Ian's books catch in the beginning and hold me in rapt attention.
I know he forbade it but I couldn't help but wonder how a skilled story teller would make a movie of it . There are so many good tension points.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

I've only read TSWLM once years ago,IMHO it worth a read but it's hard going. If I was ever to read it again I'd only read the last third, which is very good.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Another one that I haven't read since I was a teenager. My local library has a copy of Titan books' collection of the newspaper strip - which apparently differs from both the book AND the movie. I'm debating whether I should read it before re-reading the novel.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Roger Devereau
Lieutenant

Post by Roger Devereau »

Kristatos wrote:Another one that I haven't read since I was a teenager. My local library has a copy of Titan books' collection of the newspaper strip - which apparently differs from both the book AND the movie. I'm debating whether I should read it before re-reading the novel.
Always read the primary text first!!!
Charles Vine
New Recruit
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No through On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Post by Charles Vine »

Charles Vine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 pm
I consider this book quite good, one of Fleming's best in fact. A swift read and an interesting perspective on Bond. Not a dot wasted.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:Another one that I haven't read since I was a teenager. My local library has a copy of Titan books' collection of the newspaper strip - which apparently differs from both the book AND the movie. I'm debating whether I should read it before re-reading the novel.
I'm always reading the graphic novels in the library too!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Charles Vine wrote:Charles Vine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 pm
I consider this book quite good, one of Fleming's best in fact. A swift read and an interesting perspective on Bond. Not a dot wasted.
I'll have to read this after your review!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Blowfeld » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:20 pm
carl stromberg wrote:
Charles Vine wrote:Charles Vine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 pm
I'll have to read this after your review!
It is a odd book out for Ian. I do not know how to place it with his other books. I am glad you liked it, I think Rosamund's reading the audio book is quite an appropriate choice. I might have to give it a listen althou I prefer holding the book in my hand.