Babs' choice for the next 007?

Discussion Of Possible Bond Actors
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Babs' choice for the next 007?

Post by Kristatos »

OK, we know that she wanted Sean Bean for Goldeneye and hand-picked Craig herself, so it's clear that she has a "type" as far as Bond actors go. We've had our share of silliness in the Craig lookalike thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any serious suggestions of actors in the Bean/Craig mould who might be serious contenders to take over as Bond when Daniel Craig leaves. I can't really think of anyone at the moment.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

Mrs Skywalker often watches Emmerdale. :roll:

There is an actor who plays 'Scott' Ben Freeman who could be a choice in the future. I think he is contesting a rape allegation at the moment which might not do his chances a world of good.

Here are a few pics.

“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

Rupert Penry Jones is blonde. He might be a darkhorse next time.

"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I think Sean Bean would have been a better Bond than Brosnan. He has much more screen presence that made GoldenEye a bit more interesting than the next four films. Now if Dalton had stayed and we had Dalton and Bean duke it out, imagine the awesome chemistry. I never saw much chemistry between Brosnan and Bean.

Brosnan was only chosen because he was a more safe choice and they wanted to bring back Bond to the movie so they'll go with a popular (especially in the US) choice rather than the right choice. Look what happened when they did the opposite in 2006 as opposed to choosing a popular candidate, it paid off!
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

John Drake wrote:Rupert Penry Jones is blonde. He might be a darkhorse next time.

He reminds me of Paul Bettany.

“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Skywalker wrote:He reminds me of Paul Bettany.
Hmmm, Bettany as Bond? I could actually imagine Babs going for that.
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Jedi007 »

stockslivevan wrote:I think Sean Bean would have been a better Bond than Brosnan. He has much more screen presence that made GoldenEye a bit more interesting than the next four films. Now if Dalton had stayed and we had Dalton and Bean duke it out, imagine the awesome chemistry. I never saw much chemistry between Brosnan and Bean.

Brosnan was only chosen because he was a more safe choice and they wanted to bring back Bond to the movie so they'll go with a popular (especially in the US) choice rather than the right choice. Look what happened when they did the opposite in 2006 as opposed to choosing a popular candidate, it paid off!
It looks like you're saying Brosnan is not the right choice in the 90's. Who do you think approved the scripts of un-serious - yet exciting action films that made up Brosnan's era?
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:Brosnan was only chosen because he was a more safe choice and they wanted to bring back Bond to the movie so they'll go with a popular (especially in the US) choice rather than the right choice. Look what happened when they did the opposite in 2006 as opposed to choosing a popular candidate, it paid off!
Yes, and choosing Brosnan paid off. If we're going to go by box-office, compare the grosses of Brosnan's films to those of the 80's Bond films. Brosnan was the right Bond at the right time, as was Craig (even though I don't personally like him as Bond). Edit: although perhaps we should wait to at least see Bond 22's box office receipts before declaring Craig to be a consistent box office draw as Bond, like Brosnan was.
Last edited by Kristatos on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Jedi007 wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:I think Sean Bean would have been a better Bond than Brosnan. He has much more screen presence that made GoldenEye a bit more interesting than the next four films. Now if Dalton had stayed and we had Dalton and Bean duke it out, imagine the awesome chemistry. I never saw much chemistry between Brosnan and Bean.

It looks like you're saying Brosnan is not the right choice in the 90's. Who do you think approved the scripts of un-serious - yet exciting action films that made up Brosnan's era?
Mikey and Babs, who do you think? Besides, we could have had a more engaging actor, good scripts or bad. At least Bean proved that in GoldenEye.
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Jedi007 »

stockslivevan wrote:
Jedi007 wrote:

Mikey and Babs, who do you think? Besides, we could have had a more engaging actor, good scripts or bad. At least Bean proved that in GoldenEye.
I don't know in what article I have read this but I do remember that crtics said that Brosnan's presence in his Bond films is what actually save the films. It seems like you're saying that Brosnan wasn't a good actor at all, and that we have to get a good actor as Bond instead of an actor who looks like Bond. I'm not exactly saying that Bond must not played by a good actor, but that's just half of the deal. I would also like to respond in one of your posts here in the forums that Craig is good-looking pre and post-Bond. Being good looking doesn't mean necessarily that you look like Bond. Do you mean that Brad Pitt, or George Clooney, or Brandon Routh can play Bond despite being good looking men? I don't think so.
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Marc Warren?

Zippy

Bring back Bond!
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Jedi007 wrote:I would also like to respond in one of your posts here in the forums that Craig is good-looking pre and post-Bond. Being good looking doesn't mean necessarily that you look like Bond. Do you mean that Brad Pitt, or George Clooney, or Brandon Routh can play Bond despite being good looking men? I don't think so.
You got missed the point I was making. I was stating that Daniel Craig got voted as one of the best looking men BEFORE he was Bond because there was someone said something along the lines "he only got to be on that list because of he's playing Bond".

Frankly, you have to be good looking to an extent for Bond. Bond should look handsome but the actor needs to display that edge which if vital for Bond. Connery, Dalton and Craig have done well, Lazenby didn't have the acting chops to pull it off despite that he trying (I'll give him credit on that) and Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan were total softies.

I think Gene Siskel said it best "Pierce Brosnan looks like he should be James Bond's valet."
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Re: Babs' choice for the next 007?

Post by mcbride007 »

I think that Marc Warren will be chosen. He is just like Daniel. Not very well known and blond and not Bondlike.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

mcbride007 wrote:Image

I think that Marc Warren will be chosen. He is just like Daniel. Not very well known and blond and not Bondlike.
He looks a bit like Quentin Tarantino.
katied

Post by katied »

I don't get the Tarantino comparison. Tarantino is a lot uglier/unkempt looking.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

Kevin McKidd? He's like a more handsome Daniel Craig lookalike.

"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

Mckidd is actually young looking(compared to Craig,anyways. :P)
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

Mckidd was good in Rome but I hope to see the traditional tall, darkly handsome Bond return after Barbara has had her fun jetting around the world with the current imposter.
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
katied

Post by katied »

MkcKidd probably isn't on Babs' radar. She goes for the "more mature" men. :lol:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I'm surprised that Babs has not offered David Caruso the part of Bond.

Where is the Drakester by the way?