Gerard Butler

Discussion Of Possible Bond Actors
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Gerard Butler

Post by The Sweeney »

Having watched him this weekend in the superb Guy Ritchie film RocknRolla, I thought perhaps he could have been a good Bond.

FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Gerard Butler

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Sweeney wrote:Having watched him this weekend in the superb Guy Ritchie film RocknRolla, I thought perhaps he could have been a good Bond.

Classic choice.
katied

Post by katied »

Butler would be OK.Getting a little too well known perhaps,but he'd work.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I only know him from 300, so I tend to think of him as Brian Blessed's little brother. Not heard of RocknRolla, I'll have to check it out.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Let's get Craig out, and get Butler in with Q, Moneypenney..... :cheers:

He is an obvious choice. I think Barbara has some reason for disliking him. Before the casting of Craig, when looks were important, I'd see Butler in something and thinlk he was perfect for Bond. Although he is a better actor thatn the likes of Adrian Paul.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

Yeah..with Babs running EON there is no way a *suitable* Bond will be hired for the job.When it comes time to choose a new Bond she'll be sitting there going "NEXT!!" while she's auditioning new actors and then just hire whoever SHE thinks should be Bond. Lord but her taste in actors is terrible :?
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Interestingly, Butler was in TND.
ID
Lieutenant

Post by ID »

Guy Ritchie has made a good film? :shock:

We have an old Butler thread here which is quite interesting to look back at; http://www.danielcraigisnotbond.com/for ... f=12&t=110

And here is an endlessly fascinating article about Butler & James Bond: http://www.alternative007.co.uk/54.htm
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

ID wrote:And here is an endlessly fascinating article about Butler & James Bond: http://www.alternative007.co.uk/54.htm
LOL at the "I 'ate you, Butler" line.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:
ID wrote:And here is an endlessly fascinating article about Butler & James Bond: http://www.alternative007.co.uk/54.htm
LOL at the "I 'ate you, Butler" line.
I watched a program on On The Buses last night. Bob Grant, who played Jack Harper, was a classical actor but could not find work after On The Buses ended and suffered from depression. Harry H. Corbett was also a serious actor, but was typecast as Harold Steptoe. I wonder if Daniel Craig is worried about being typecast as James Bond?
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

Yes.Craig does a lot of "arty" movies when he's not Bond.Unfortunately, as I said on another thread, they're pretty much flops.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

katied wrote:Yes.Craig does a lot of "arty" movies when he's not Bond.Unfortunately, as I said on another thread, they're pretty much flops.
The Golden Compass looks pretty good.
katied

Post by katied »

Yeah, The Golden Compass was better than I thought it was going to be.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Butler could and would be a contender as a possible replacement for Daniel Craig.
The only problem is that with Craigs popularity in the role, it's going to be a long time before he needs replacing.
Making Butler most likely to old by then. :wink:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

It would be odd if they cast him as Bond, given he made an appearance in Tomorrow Never Dies, obscure or not, would be a first in the series to have a Bond actor who already had a role in a Bond film! :shock:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:It would be odd if they cast him as Bond, given he made an appearance in Tomorrow Never Dies, obscure or not, would be a first in the series to have a Bond actor who already had a role in a Bond film! :shock:
It was such a small role that I doubt it matters. The fact that Charles Grey played Dikko Henderson in YOLT didn't stop him playing Blofeld a mere two films later, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of actors playing multiple roles in the Bondverse. How many roles has Shane Rimmer played in Bond films?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:It would be odd if they cast him as Bond, given he made an appearance in Tomorrow Never Dies, obscure or not, would be a first in the series to have a Bond actor who already had a role in a Bond film! :shock:
It was such a small role that I doubt it matters. The fact that Charles Grey played Dikko Henderson in YOLT didn't stop him playing Blofeld a mere two films later, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of actors playing multiple roles in the Bondverse. How many roles has Shane Rimmer played in Bond films?
There's also Maud Adams and Joe Don Baker.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
Except they didn't play big roles like James Bond. I don't think it could fully prevent him from taking the role, but it would be kinda amusing and I'm sure even the press would find themselves surprised to see that Butler very very early in his career was in a Bond film, obscure or not.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
I don't think TND would exclude him. He was barely on screen and I don't think his character had a name.

If he had played 0006 or M's right and man he should be excluded from the old Bond series, in a 'reboot' I fail to see how it would matter.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

In the end credits of TND, Butler was credited as a leading seaman of the Devonshire.