OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Joaquin Phoenix

Post by James »

Assuming the accent was ok, do you think Joaquin could play Bond?

"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Joaquin Phoenix

Post by Kristatos »

He's a good actor, but his bendy gob might be a distraction.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Good actor but too famous.
katied

Post by katied »

Too famous and(IMO) not really the right look.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Good actor, just a few problems for me.
1. He's American. So is instantly out. Sorry to my American friends, but Bond is British.
2. He doesn't have the Bond look.
3. He's to short. According to imdb 5'8" or 1.74m
I would say he'd make a good potential villain, but his turn in Gladiator might rule him out for that one. Wouldn't be upset if he were to take on a villains role though.
Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Gary Seven »

I thought he would be an interesting Bond, but was put off when I looked on IMDB and saw he was a little short.

He would make an engaging villlian.

By the way, I don't think Bond candidates can be rejected for not having the Bond look after Daniel Craig has played the role.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Gary Seven wrote:By the way, I don't think Bond candidates can be rejected for not having the Bond look after Daniel Craig has played the role.
Not by EON, maybe, but if we on this forum reject Craig for not having a Bond look, we can certainly do the same to other candidates.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

I think old Joaquin has a better look than Craig and is more charismatic but 5'8 is too short to be Bond.

Even though if he did land the role Eon would soon have him listed as 5'11 everywhere. :P
katied

Post by katied »

I can see him as a villain. Not Bond material, but he's got a certain appeal. He did a good job playing Johnny Cash in I Walk The Line
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

James wrote:I think old Joaquin has a better look than Craig and is more charismatic
That's not exactly setting the bar very high.
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

[quote="James"]Assuming the accent was ok, do you think Joaquin could play Bond?

I think there are better alternatives out there. I think Christian Bale may well be tempted in the future, especially if Christopher Nolan is hired as director. Those 2 together could make something special and I personally wouldn't mind them doing a new Bond begins.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Skywalker wrote:I think Christian Bale may well be tempted in the future, especially if Christopher Nolan is hired as director. Those 2 together could make something special and I personally wouldn't mind them doing a new Bond begins.
It would be nice if Bale does the work as Bond sometime in the future, but he's too well-known this time around. If Bale's too well-known, he might as well do a rogue Bond movie with Nolan directing it.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Skywalker wrote:I think Christian Bale may well be tempted in the future, especially if Christopher Nolan is hired as director. Those 2 together could make something special and I personally wouldn't mind them doing a new Bond begins.
It would be nice if Bale does the work as Bond sometime in the future, but he's too well-known this time around. If Bale's too well-known, he might as well do a rogue Bond movie with Nolan directing it.

What does it matter that Christian Bale is so well known?
Does that automatically rule him out of playing Bond?
Roger Moore was very well known when he became the third Bond in the early seventies, and of all the actors who tested for GE, Pierce Brosnan was probably the most well known of the lot.
As a successor to Daniel Craigm, I'd love to see Bale become the seventh Bond. I'd be more than happy for DC to make two or three more (I know many of you will disagree with me, and that this is an anti Craig site. But this is my opinion)then by that time Bale could take on the role. That is of course if he wanted to. Clive Owen has often been a fan favourite, but has spoken to the press about how he didn't want the Bond role. Surely there can be nothing worse than forcing an actor to play a part they dislike. Look at Connery's performance in YOLT.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Captain Nash wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:

What does it matter that Christian Bale is so well known?
Does that automatically rule him out of playing Bond?
Roger Moore was very well known when he became the third Bond in the early seventies, and of all the actors who tested for GE, Pierce Brosnan was probably the most well known of the lot.
Except they weren't full fledged movie stars like Christian Bale starring in big franchises like BATMAN and TERMINATOR before getting the role. Believe me, I would LOVE to have Bale as Bond sometime in the future, but it just won't happen. EON likes to have the Bond name being bigger than the actor. It's a strategy they've been using for each actor and its always paid off. Why fix what ain't broke? Now that THE DARK KNIGHT is already one one of the biggest films of the decade, it seems unlikely EON will go for Bale unless they decide to dump that strategy they've been using for 44 years. Heck if you think about it, they had their chance to approach him in 2005 but instead they went with relatively unknown actors instead.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Except they weren't full fledged movie stars like Christian Bale starring in big franchises like BATMAN and TERMINATOR before getting the role.
That's true. Roger was a television star.