Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: Henry Cavill

Post by Dr. No »

I do see Cavill in the role. For a time I thought Butler would be a good match, later roles I think he lacked the suave needed to be a good Bond. Someone like Jackman looks good in tux and can pull of the rougth and tough part of it. Recent up and coming actors seem limited to either suit or farmware not a balance . Craig gets in a thousand dollar suit and look out of place, Connery gets in one and he could say what? this old thing? and be believable.

Reevaluating the possible actors from what they were in and how they dress off the set, too many don't pass the test. Worthington was hired and going through SAS training when Craig got the job, he be a nightmare to get to look the part. Even when his handlers do dress him up for an awards show he has no idea what he is wearing. Butler has the charisma but not the over all look. Cavill is the best I've seen so far. Stocks like a guy from Inglorious bas***ds, I am not familiar enough with him to say. So maybe we have 2 contenders but I really like Cavill, if he were named today for Bond 23 or 24 I would be happy.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

As I said on another thread,the hardcore fans are too busy obsessing over specific actors they think would be good in the role. They rarely will tolerate any deviation from discussion of that person. :?
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

katied wrote:As I said on another thread,the hardcore fans are too busy obsessing over specific actors they think would be good in the role. They rarely will tolerate any deviation from discussion of that person. :?
Can you show us some examples of this?
Or elaborate on which actors you mean?
The trouble when trying to guess who will play the role, and who actually wins the role are two different things.
No-one, thought Dalton or Craig were in the running. Brosnan was certainly the favourite before he got the role. So maybe Eon have an actor in mind who's not been mentioned by the fans. Maybe someone who appeals in the look department more than Craig, and has the so called Bond look.
But we don't have to worry about that for a while. :wink:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

The funny thing is quite a few people are convinced that Worthington was the last man standing against Craig... but he wasn't. From what I've been told, he started arms training as soon as he knew he had a chance, not because he was hired. He had zero familiarity with weapons. Henry, well, he's had ACTUAL arms training in boarding school. So clearly, didn't need to do any to be ready. And Henry was the last man standing vs Craig. That much I DO know for sure. Campbell wanted him for the role, and was convinced he would do CR with Cavill, then found himself with Craig. Clearly, the whole rookie angle would have made perfect sense with Cavill.

The other interesting thing is that Cavill isn't being mentioned by the press at ALL right now as the successor of Craig. Well-informed blog people mention him, but not the general press. Which is interesting since they always tend to keep it "hush" when someone is actually in the running. So who knows... All I know is I think he'd be great in the role, and he sure has the enthusiasm and passion for it, alongisde with obviously looks and charisma. I really hope Brosnan/Dalton history repeats itself (not picked the first time around because too young, then picked later).
Cavill is the best I've seen so far. Stocks like a guy from Inglorious bas***ds, I am not familiar enough with him to say. So maybe we have 2 contenders but I really like Cavill, if he were named today for Bond 23 or 24 I would be happy.
You mean Tom Hardy? He's been signed for the Batman franchise, so he's pretty much out. I honestly don't think he fits either the looks or the style part nearly as much as Cavill does. I think he looks as unnatural in a tux as Worthington does, if not more. I would like Butler but he's too famous now, and also too old. I think Hardy is honestly a poor version of Butler. I wouldn't cry if he was cast, I just think there have to be far better fits out there, and Henry Cavill for me is the no.1 choice.
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Ale wrote:The funny thing is quite a few people are convinced that Worthington was the last man standing against Craig... but he wasn't.
I read an interview where he said he was hired, but then got a follow-up call saying that Craig had been given the role instead. I wish I could find a link to the interview, but it was a long time ago.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

I think Dr. No meant Michael Fassbender. FAR from my first choice,and I'll leave it at that, :twisted:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

katied wrote:I think Dr. No meant Michael Fassbender. FAR from my first choice,and I'll leave it at that, :twisted:
The Craig lookalike? Thankfully he was cast in the Batman franchise, so there's less of a chance he is considered. I mean, as I said I wouldn't cry if they cast someone like Tom Hardy, but I believe there are far better picks out there, and Henry Cavill sure is one of them, for me the best one.

:shock: Kristatos, the guy went so far as to say he was hired? :shock: I know for a fact that isn't true since I have first-hand reports on Cavill being the last one standing vs Craig, directly from the CR set :twisted:
"Are we on coms?"
Mulli
New Recruit

Post by Mulli »

Henry Cavill would be perfect as a rookie James Bond.
The question is, can they reboot the reboot?
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

Mulli wrote:Henry Cavill would be perfect as a rookie James Bond.
Well... they can just pretend it never existed, much like they did with Dalton when Brosnan took over.
"Are we on coms?"
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Ale wrote:
Well... they can just pretend it never existed, much like they did with Dalton when Brosnan took over.
Bond 24 (or 23 if DC retires) = the new Bond 21
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Ale wrote:
Bond 24 (or 23 if DC retires) = the new Bond 21
For sure, and especially with Cavill as Bond. He is going to be at Wondercon the first week of April and they will present "Immortals" , the movie he's the lead in, which is going to be released on Nov. 11 this year. I am sure we will have a good example there of how things could be for us now and WILL hopefully be for us in the future. As in, having a charming, well-spoken and very committed actor in the role of James Bond. Pierce was great at that, Craig is beyond terrible at it. Cavill has that natural charm that Brosnan had too, and he is such a class-act. The only other one I can see at this point is Clive Standen, per buffybond's suggestion. I'm still watching Robin Hood, only got around to two episodes, but so far so good. Will open a thread for the guy as soon as I'm done (I don't think I will change my mind about him being a good suggestion!) :D

Obviously... Cavill is perfection IMO. But, it's good to have at least one alternative I believe in!
"Are we on coms?"
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

Henry was Martin Campbell's choice back in 05, F#CK YOU BABS!
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

John Hamm looks so Bond like here. :cig: I know he's American and 50 already but still... I posted since my first though when I saw the picture was "James Bond."

Now on who would be a good Bond..not one actor comes to my mind really to be that good of a choice but I would give Cavill a chance. He is the only actor that I might could imagine as Bond.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Alessandra wrote:
I hate that. They begin GE in 1986, could they have been any less subtle. I think (hope/would prefer), the next actor to pick up from Brosnan, but in the present day. Dammit, if only James Purefoy were 10 years younger.

I know that i am in a minority of one, but I hope to Fleming that Cavill isn't cast as Bond#7. I would be surprised if it happens, what with all the potential franchises he has on his hands (Superman, U.N.C.L.E and the upcoming Stratton).
Countach
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Any Bond movies without DC in it!
RED
DREDD
Iron Man/Avengers/Thor/Capt America
Indiana Jones

Post by Countach »

I think Henry Cavill would be THE James Bond!
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.

Post by ml94 »

Countach wrote:I think Henry Cavill would be THE James Bond!
Yeah, but he is already SUPERMAN.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

ml94 wrote:
And I hope that's what he remains (keeps him well away from Bond).
Countach
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Any Bond movies without DC in it!
RED
DREDD
Iron Man/Avengers/Thor/Capt America
Indiana Jones

Post by Countach »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
ml94 wrote:
At least he is 30 000 times better looking than Craig!
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

From what I saw that Batman v. Superman movie looks like a total crap. And I wasn't thrilled with Man of Steele much either. I could see Cavill in the role but its just that I don't have much hope we'll ever see another Bond movie again. And I wouldn't be suprised if Barbara simply declared she won't cast anyone because Craig is simply irreplacable once Craig finally quits.
ml94
Single O

Post by ml94 »

Countach wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
ml94 wrote:
At least he is 30 000 times better looking than Craig!
AGREED.