Star Trek

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
katied

Re: Star Trek

Post by katied »

Yeah, he was young looking..It's like, did he have to get a permission slip from his parents to join the Starfleet? :lol:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I saw the movie awhile ago, all I have to say is that it is RETARDED. This movie has zero logic going for it. This is not just because I don't agree with the direction, I mean it's really senseless. There's so many moments that are just obscure, characters are reduced from noble decent hardworking folks to a bunch of "4 teh lulz" kids.

Oh man. There's so much wrong going with this flick. I wish this was more close to a fun Moonraker like movie than a retarded The Spy Who Loved Me like movie.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

stockslivevan wrote:I saw the movie awhile ago, all I have to say is that it is RETARDED. This movie has zero logic going for it. This is not just because I don't agree with the direction, I mean it's really senseless. There's so many moments that are just obscure, characters are reduced from noble decent hardworking folks to a bunch of "4 teh lulz" kids.

Oh man. There's so much wrong going with this flick. I wish this was more close to a fun Moonraker like movie than a retarded The Spy Who Loved Me like movie.
Do you still prefer ST over The Final Frontier?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I prefer The Final Frontier for the character moments. The camp fire scene. Spock and Bones facing their inner pain with Kirk's "the pain is what makes us who we are, if we lose them, we lose ourselves". It's a heavily flawed film, but it's scene like those that elevate the flick for me.

I think the only scene I admire in the new film is during the first 10 minutes with the George Kirk sacrificing his life and the Kelvin to save lives. That's the only scene in the movie where there's a sense of duty, honor and loyalty.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
katied wrote:Actually, he comes by the accent naturally-he was born in Russia and came to the States when he was 6 months old. But the accent? Meh.
It wasn't so much his accent that I had a problem with. It was the fact that he looks about 12 years old.
it wasn't has accent. Although it seemed to be all over the place. it was how he looked and how he acted. It didn't seem to be checkov. The last scene with him running around i can do this!! I can do this !!! it was like my kids at a toyrus :lol:

The guy playing spock was good, but with the real spock right there he didn't seem right. Not wrong either. He was at the biggest disadvantaged with Old Spock sharing the scenes with him and
Spoiler
offering to take his spot in the breeding program
Like i said Bones was the best of the new cast. Kirk was,,, i don't know. I'm not a big Shatner fan but I didn't buy the young kirk as much as i thought I would.

One thing about teh green woman Young Krik was trying to "meld" with. On Enterprise it was revealed that the nature of those slaves girls was different than previously thought. At least I assume it was different. I don't really buy one of them being at star fleet. not yet any way.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

The writers' answer would be "this is an alternate reality", which is basically one big cop out for every inaccurate bit in the film. This new "alternate reality" is supposed to be based off the original timeline by a certain point. For example no one knew what a Romulan looked like until 2266, which is when the first season takes place (and this movie mostly takes place in 2258, eight years earlier). Yet when Nero goes back in time to 2233, no one seems to bat an eye. In fact they seem already know what Romulans look like.

Abrams claimed he didn't want to be constrained by inaccurate continuity. Going for a complete full reboot would have been the safest way to do that, yet I think he and the writers didn't want to "invalidate" the original timeline and get hardcore fans all angry, so they decided to pull this unnecessary "alternate reality" nonsense as a way to say "hey, the original timeline still exists, we're just in a different reality! yay!".
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Trek zoomed past $200 million mark with out breaking a sweat.

$210m Total domestic and $100m foreign. Although the foreign take count is well behind. It did open at #4 in Japan, for some reason the Japanese really love Angels & Demons.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Trek zoomed past $200 million mark with out breaking a sweat.

$210m Total domestic and $100m foreign. Although the foreign take count is well behind. It did open at #4 in Japan, for some reason the Japanese really love Angels & Demons.
I'm a little surprised at the low international take. I have read conflicting things about international release dates, with IMDb's list differing from Box Office Mojo's, but both of them now show India as the only major territory left to open. I thought Star Trek was an internationally recognised name (in contrast to Doctor Who, which only really has cult appeal outside the UK).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Star Trek did beat Batman Begins here in the US as the highest grossing reboot according to Box Office Mojo.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Kristatos wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:Trek zoomed past $200 million mark with out breaking a sweat.

I'm a little surprised at the low international take. I have read conflicting things about international release dates, with IMDb's list differing from Box Office Mojo's, but both of them now show India as the only major territory left to open. I thought Star Trek was an internationally recognised name (in contrast to Doctor Who, which only really has cult appeal outside the UK).
These days everything goes through China. It can be an easy $30m.

I saw a report on Trek 2 weeks in. Counting in all of the variables, foreign markets and so forth. If it is still in my inbox I'll repost some of the findings. One of the assumptions was the Japan would be a bellwether for the Asian market.

Problem trying to read the foreign market is they are slow in feeding back. Rare exceptions are the ones we can watch in real time.

BTW Star Trek could be very popular there, if the Chinese Space Agency's logo is anything to go by

Looks familiar don't it.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Basically;

Code: Select all

Star Trek in underpreforming in: France,Korea,Italy,Spain,Brazil
Doing as well as most Blockbusters in: UK,Germany,New Zealand,Russia,USA,Australia
I think Star Trek could end up with $250-300m foreign BO. A tad generous to some but I think it has the legs to do it.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Perhaps John Cho should have gone to his native South Korea to promote ST.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

trek is doing very good domestically, foreign looks bit weak. but keep in mind most of those numbers a lagging in their count and at least one country is completely missing from BO MOJOs tally

Code: Select all

Domestic:  	 $222,712,175  	
+ Foreign: 	 $111,960,224 	   33.5%
= Worldwide: 	 $334,672,399 	 
Last edited by Mazer Rackham on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mazer Rackham wrote:trek is doing very good domestically, foreign looks bit weak. but keep in mind most of those numbers a lagging in their count and at least one completely country is missing fro BO MOJOs tally
Bear in mind that BOM's international total is not simply the sum of their country totals, and is updated weekly, whereas the country totals are updated as and when.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Kristatos wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:trek is doing very good domestically, foreign looks bit weak. but keep in mind most of those numbers a lagging in their count and at least one completely country is missing fro BO MOJOs tally
Bear in mind that BOM's international total is not simply the sum of their country totals, and is updated weekly, whereas the country totals are updated as and when.
I think they are still behind on the Foreign BO on this one. But I'd have to see their numbers to know for sure. I was assuming if a country wasn't listed they weren't expecting totals from it or counting it. Either way paramount is very happy, they were only hoping for 150m from this movie foreign.

It was funny when Sony had press release about how well Quark was doing, BO Mojo and a lot of others took them at their and changed the numbers to reflect it. A few days later they had to change them back when they found out Sony had massaged the numbers and they were counting all the markets and while they made it sound like the total was foreign total only.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Speaking of the sequel, should it exclude "Star Trek" from the title? It's just like TDK, the first Batman movie without "Batman" in the title.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:Speaking of the sequel, should it exclude "Star Trek" from the title? It's just like TDK, the first Batman movie without "Batman" in the title.
It could happen, however I doubt it.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was originally The Wrath of Khan. Star Trek II was tacked on around the time of Star Trek III. Star Trek: Enterprise was Enterprise for the first few series.

SS Botany Bay or Mirror, Mirror could be used. I doubt it would be without sticking Star Trek on the tin's label. Star Trek never developed the versatility naming sequels 007 and Star Wars did.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Abrams said that the titles of the future films will not includes numerals like the TOS films did but rather subtitles. Since ST is a reboot, I thought the sequels would be best to exclude "Star Trek" in the title. But if it does happen, would the sequels attract less audience than ST?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I seriously doubt they will exclude the "Star Trek" title, that's just retarded. It worked for TDK because everyone knows that The Dark Knight = Batman. Star Trek doesn't have something like that.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Enterprise didn't have "Star Trek" in the title for the first two seasons.