Star Trek

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Star Trek

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:You gotta love this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/
An untitled sequel isn't all that surprising. I hope it does well enough to merit it. But I hope more that Trek hasn't been gutted for the sake of dollars. Paramount sold out and squeezed out every diem they could before Trek ground to a crawl. Too bad they canceled Enterprise just as it was getting good.

You know what, there is something to this then, they really did run out of ideas for Trek. Enterprise was prequel, that tied in nicely to the original Trek, and the new movie is prequel, but not one that will tie in neatly to teh original
The young casts are on contract for 3 movies.
katied

Post by katied »

Dr. No wrote:
katied wrote:According to IMDB it's rated PG 13 for "sci fi action and violence and birf sexual content".
Then No I guess the kids can't see it until I see ti frist.

I will see it before it hits DVD.

It depends on how old the kids are-some kids can handle stuff like that-but sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry, so better to see the movie before the kids do.If I had a dollar for every time I've seen kids-little kids-at movies that are imappropriate for them-I would be rich.

The best was when I saw South Park-Bigger,Longer,Uncut. Within several minutes of the movie starting,several parents(there were several parents with kids there!) got up and walked out,thankfully.I can picture the conversations those parents were having with their kids in the car on the way home. :lol: :lol:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

katied wrote:
Dr. No wrote:
katied wrote:According to IMDB it's rated PG 13 for "sci fi action and violence and birf sexual content".
Then No I guess the kids can't see it until I see ti frist.

I will see it before it hits DVD.

It depends on how old the kids are-some kids can handle stuff like that-but sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry, so better to see the movie before the kids do.If I had a dollar for every time I've seen kids-little kids-at movies that are imappropriate for them-I would be rich.

The best was when I saw South Park-Bigger,Longer,Uncut. Within several minutes of the movie starting,several parents(there were several parents with kids there!) got up and walked out,thankfully.I can picture the conversations those parents were having with their kids in the car on the way home. :lol: :lol:
It depends on how Pg13 a Pg13 movies is, the potters we are more or less OK with.

Often enough a PG13 is a mildly violet PG movie.

South park movie, jesus! That was rated R.the opening song of "uncle f**ker" would be a big clue that it was not Oliver And Company they bought tickets too :lol:

I think the parents saw it was a cartoon and thought it would be allright. Clearly they never saw South Park on comedy central.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

I think the parents saw it was a cartoon and thought it would be allright. Clearly they never saw South Park on comedy central.
Cartoon does not always = good for kids though.Some of the ones for kids actually have quite scary elements to them. I'm sure when I see Star Trek(and I will)there will be some parent there with their toddler who screams through the entire movie.I don't know what's worse:That,or people who talk on their phones during a movie[/soapbox]
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The BBFC website now has information for parents up. I've put it in spoiler tags, since some of it could considered to be spoilers.
Spoiler
STAR TREK is a science-fiction action adventure film about a starfleet battling a vicious and vengeful enemy. It was passed '12A' for moderate violence and threat.

At '12A', BBFC 'Violence' Guidelines state that 'Violence must not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood'. There are a number of violent fight scenes which include heavy blows to the head and body that are amplified by realistic sound effects, sight of a man stamping on another man's fingers as he clings on to a high ledge and another man being run through with a sword where the impact is not shown but there is a brief shot of the blade emerging from his chest. Both positively and negatively presented characters often resolve conflict situations through violence. So for all these reasons the violence in this film is not permissible at 'PG', although the blows themselves are often masked from view.

There are also occasional scenes of threat that feature a significant degree of menace. These include some prolonged and intense scenes that include the destruction of a spaceship and the death of the lead character's father at the beginning of the film; a man strapped down and threatened with a slug that he is told will attach itself to his brain stem which we see being held over his open mouth before the scene cuts away as his legs begin to thrash as well as prolonged sight of one of the heroic characters being chased by two monstrous creatures. These scenes are too prolonged and intense to be permissible at 'PG' but as the scenes end before showing any violent detail they were allowable at '12A'.

STAR TREK also contains infrequent gory moments when a man's bloodied face is shown after he has been beaten up or when the tip of a sword emerges from a man's chest after he has been stabbed in the back. These are allowable at '12'A, particularly as the blood on the tip of the sword is green rather than red, which lends the scene a fantastical aspect. The film contains some moderate sex references including a jokey retort delivered by a young woman to a would-be suitor in which she suggests that he is likely to be the sort of person who would have sex with farm animals, as well as brief sight of a clothed man and woman kissing and cuddling on a bed. There is sight of a boy driving a car at high speed and narrowly escaping serious injury when he leaps from the vehicle. The film contains some moderate and mild language.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

IMO it varies from kid to kid and what they've been exposed to.My 11-year-old nephew has seen all of the Star Wars movies,and some of those(especially the newer ones) are quite violent.

(I was asking him if he wanted to see Star Trek and he said no, because he's into Star Wars. :lol: )
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I have to say, this movie looks like an abomination. It looks like someone made a space adventure and stamped "Star Trek" as the title. The raving reviews are just astonishing, but then again critics never really got Trek. When someone says "this is what Star Trek should have always been" their heads are in the sand.

If it turns out to have an intellectual quality, I will be very damned surprised. But this looks like it's geared toward the MTV crowd.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:I have to say, this movie looks like an abomination. It looks like someone made a space adventure and stamped "Star Trek" as the title. The raving reviews are just astonishing, but then again critics never really got Trek. When someone says "this is what Star Trek should have always been" their heads are in the sand.

If it turns out to have an intellectual quality, I will be very damned surprised. But this looks like it's geared toward the MTV crowd.
Well, I'm not part of the MTV crowd and I want to see it. The diminishing box office returns for the previous movies show that the franchise cannot survive appealing to just the hardcore fanbase, they have to pull in the casual viewers as well. I'd put myself in that category, so it's working from my point of view. I can see how the trailers might be offputting to some, they give the impression of another "all style and no substance" SFX-fest, but the reviews and he fact that JJ Abrams is at the helm make me think that there will be some meat to the story. Which is what I care about, not whether it contradicts an epsode of Enterprise. I mean, I kind of hope it doesn't, because I can empathise with how a long time Trek fan might feel if this movie tosses out Trek continuity the way the last two Bond films tossed out Bond continuity. But I won't really be thinking about that when I'm watching the movie.
katied

Post by katied »

The makes of this movies can't have it both ways..they know hardcore Star Trek fans might hate it, but I've heard a lot of talk about how it's a Star Trek movie that even casual fans-people who aren't familiar with it- will like.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:The makes of this movies can't have it both ways..they know hardcore Star Trek fans might hate it, but I've heard a lot of talk about how it's a Star Trek movie that even casual fans-people who aren't familiar with it- will like.
I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make a movie that appeals to both hardcore fans and casual viewers. I think the most popular of the movies, like Wrath of Khan appealed beyond the fanbase.
katied

Post by katied »

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make a movie that appeals to both hardcore fans and casual viewers. I think the most popular of the movies, like Wrath of Khan appealed beyond the fanbase.
It's still going to be divisive, which franchises tend to be. :wink: Then again,*I'm* going to see it,and I'm not a fan at all so there you go!
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:I have to say, this movie looks like an abomination. It looks like someone made a space adventure and stamped "Star Trek" as the title. The raving reviews are just astonishing, but then again critics never really got Trek. When someone says "this is what Star Trek should have always been" their heads are in the sand.

Well, I'm not part of the MTV crowd and I want to see it. The diminishing box office returns for the previous movies show that the franchise cannot survive appealing to just the hardcore fanbase, they have to pull in the casual viewers as well. I'd put myself in that category, so it's working from my point of view. I can see how the trailers might be offputting to some, they give the impression of another "all style and no substance" SFX-fest, but the reviews and he fact that JJ Abrams is at the helm make me think that there will be some meat to the story. Which is what I care about, not whether it contradicts an epsode of Enterprise. I mean, I kind of hope it doesn't, because I can empathise with how a long time Trek fan might feel if this movie tosses out Trek continuity the way the last two Bond films tossed out Bond continuity. But I won't really be thinking about that when I'm watching the movie.
You got me wrong. I could care less about continuity, but I do care about how well the characters are portrayed. As for diminishing box office returns of the previous movies, here's the solution: TV. That's the best possible way to run Star Trek and remain true to the core. That way you don't have try to make a movie that is aimed at a) fans who like Star Trek to be mindless entertainment, b) fans who prefer Star Trek to be excellent thought provoking stories about society, c) non-fans who want to see stuff blow up, d) non-fans who don't even like Star Trek at all.

All under two hours.

Star Trek started as and should remain as a TV franchise, preferably it should air on a channel like Sci-Fi, where the fanbase is as opposed to being put up as the flagship of a major television network hence the failure of Enterprise. Or air a show in syndication, which worked like wonders for TNG and DS9. The best possible scenario out of this new movie would be that it prompts Paramount to hire someone to run a TV show in the exact manner as I described.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:[You got me wrong. I could care less about continuity, but I do care about how well the characters are portrayed. As for diminishing box office returns of the previous movies, here's the solution: TV. That's the best possible way to run Star Trek and remain true to the core. That way you don't have try to make a movie that is aimed at a) fans who like Star Trek to be mindless entertainment, b) fans who prefer Star Trek to be excellent thought provoking stories about society, c) non-fans who want to see stuff blow up, d) non-fans who don't even like Star Trek at all.
And you've got me wrong if you think I just want to see stuff blow up. What I want is a good story that I don't have to know 40 years of Star Trek lore in order to understand.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

From what I've read, there's little story, even good reviews admit it. There's no theme, not subtext, what the film is really about is how the characters got to their place and that there's some bad guy hellbent on revenge. At least this is what CHUD says, which is the only site that I trust when it concerns movies. Overall, it's supposed to be mindless blockbuster entertainment, a good one I should note. However, for me that's simply not enough when it comes to a franchise like this. I wouldn't mind watching Captain Underwear Model and His Space Adventures if I went in for that kind of thing.

And now. A montage of nonsense.

"Captain's Log: Stardate 41704.2 - On our way to Risa, we have encountered an old Earth vessel of some type. However, according to our computer records, there is no information about its purporse, nor its existence. I have sent Commander Riker to lead an away team to uncover the secrets of this mysterious vessel."

"Riker to Enterprise. It turns out that this vessel is of the Federation! From the 23rd century to be precise. It seems its purpose was to jetison information on something called a rebootquel. Looks like we have caught up with it."

"Fascinating. Geordi, could you transmit the information onto the viewscreen?"

"I could try, sir. There's no danger here, so Commander Riker and Data can return. Sir, I'd like to trade positions with Wesley. I think he'll like it down here. Wink Wink."

"Very well. Numbah One, return to this ship with Data and Geordi. Wesley, transmit the information, now!"

"Extraordinary..."

"What is your name?"

"My name is James Tiberious Kirk!"

"Oh s**t!"

"THIS IS SO COOL!"

"GRRRR!!!"

"BOOBIES!!!"

"He's challenging us, Captain!"

"Ready phasers and torpedo banks! MAXIMUM FIRE!"

"VICTORY!"

"Indeed. Ensign, resume course to Risa!"
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Ur going to take chances to see ST, Stocks?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Missing a Trek film in theaters is like missing a Bond film. No way I can do that. I have to see for myself, hopefully it will be a decent movie on its own, even if I really dislike a lot of the things I've heard, read, seen so far.
katied

Post by katied »

stockslivevan wrote:Missing a Trek film in theaters is like missing a Bond film. No way I can do that. I have to see for myself, hopefully it will be a decent movie on its own, even if I really dislike a lot of the things I've heard, read, seen so far.
To each his or her own on missing a Bond film :wink: I'm definitely going to see Star Trek. I surprised myself by REALLY liking Wolverine though so maybe my taste in movies is changing :lol:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Really? I hear it's a real dreck. :shock: But I surprised myself by not going to see it, cause I like the X-Men films, aside from The Last Stand. I think what turned me off from the new film was the news of FOX executives tampering with the film, changing sets, designs, scripts all without the director's consent. Then the leaking of it online with bad reviews really didn't help much.

I wonder how BJ is reacting to all this given it has his favorite actor. :lol: But it'll make money anyway. It opened at 30something million, so unless it has a gigantic drop, it looks like it'll sell regardless of being panned by huge numbers.
katied

Post by katied »

stockslivevan wrote:Really? I hear it's a real dreck. :shock: But I surprised myself by not going to see it, cause I like the X-Men films, aside from The Last Stand. I think what turned me off from the new film was the news of FOX executives tampering with the film, changing sets, designs, scripts all without the director's consent. Then the leaking of it online with bad reviews really didn't help much.

I wonder how BJ is reacting to all this given it has his favorite actor. :lol: But it'll make money anyway. It opened at 30something million, so unless it has a gigantic drop, it looks like it'll sell regardless of being panned by huge numbers.
The swine flu isn't keeping people away from movie theaters :cheers: I knew about some of the problems that the movie had in advance. And I went into it only having seen odds and ends of the previous X Men movies! :shock:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

The first one is a good start, very character driven for a superhero genre film (in fact, I hear this new film totally contradicts what happened here, because Sabertooth has a part here, and he and Wolverine don't even know eachother :lol: ). Second is the best. As for the third, imagine on Thanksgiving, someone is walking into your house then taking a sh*t on the turkey.

But wait, this is the Star Trek thread! :shock: