Star Trek

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Star Trek

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/20 ... ogram.html
'Star Trek' DVD and Blu-ray Comes with a Hologram
DateThursday, July 16, 2009 at 4:43PM

Star Trek is one of the biggest hits of the year, and that trend will certainly continue when the J.J. Abrams flick winds up on DVD this November. And to commemorate the event, Star Trek will come complete with a marketing gimmick I can't even fully visualize.

I remember as a kid there were some hologram baseball cards and things like that where if you bent the card just enough and held it at the right angle in the light, you could swear U.L. Washington's toothpick would twirl in his mouth. You may don't remember U.L. He played with a toothpick. Anyway, the Star Trek DVD and Blu-ray is a huge step up from that, offering an interactive holographic tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise right there on the packaging.

I won't attempt to explain it. From Variety:

"With the packaging feature dubbed 'augmented reality,' consumers will be able to hold their disc packaging in front of any standard webcam to unlock an interactive hologram on the computer screen, through which they can tour five cabins on the Enterprise, even shooting enemies from the ship's deck."

According to Paramount's Bob Buschi, you control the hologram by holding the DVD packaging. So if you want to change your view of the ship, move your hand. Apparently, you can take the technology for a test drive at Experience-the-Enterprise.com. You'll need a webcam for that, too.

And if a hologram isn't enough of a geek-out for you, the Blu-ray will contain a feature through which you can get real time updates from space, the final frontier, courtesy of NASA.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Just as long as it is not the Professor Moriarty hologram from The Next Generation. He is utterly bonkers.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I just saw a piece that claimed "Star Trek reboot will still depend on DVD/Blu Ray sales to actually make a profit."

Seriously ? :shock:
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:I just saw a piece that claimed "Star Trek reboot will still depend on DVD/Blu Ray sales to actually make a profit."

Seriously ? :shock:
I suspect a bit of Hollywood accounting going on there. Many people are paid a percentage of the profits, so the studios have armies of people whose job is to cook the books and make films look way less profitable than they actually are.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Is there any chance we will a TNG movie set in the alternative timeline as set up in the recent movie?
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

FormerBondFan wrote:Is there any chance we will a TNG movie set in the alternative timeline as set up in the recent movie?
I think Captain Picard may make an appearance in one of the sequels to Star Trek.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:Is there any chance we will a TNG movie set in the alternative timeline as set up in the recent movie?
Not sure. TNG characters don't have the iconic appeal of the original series characters, and the whole point of the reboot was to appeal beyond the Star Trek fanbase to the wider audience.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:
Not sure. TNG characters don't have the iconic appeal of the original series characters, and the whole point of the reboot was to appeal beyond the Star Trek fanbase to the wider audience.
First Contact is the only TNG film appealed beyond the fanbase.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a17306 ... .html?imdb
Quinto: 'Khan may be in Trek sequel'

Friday, August 21 2009, 5:22pm EDT

By Tim Parks, Entertainment Reporter
Quinto: 'Khan may be in Trek sequel'

Zachary Quinto has hinted that villainous character Khan may appear in the next Star Trek movie.

Screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman had previously revealed that they were scouring through novels based on the original TV series, later adding that "the best idea [for the follow-up] wins, original or old".

The 32-year-old actor, who played Spock in the summer blockbuster, said that the sequel is a priority for the scribes and filmmaker J.J. Abrams.

Quinto told Sci-Fi Wire: "Star Trek is a priority, certainly, but I don't think anybody's in a hurry. Of course, the fans and the studio would love it to come out next summer if it could.

"I think it's going to be much better served by taking time and being clear about the story that they want to tell. Whether or not that involves Khan or Mr [William] Shatner remains to be seen."

Abrams recently confirmed that he is considering Shatner and The Wrath Of Khan character for the update.
I hope they don't bring back Khan. Ricardo Montalban is the ONE AND ONLY Khan. No one else.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/08/p ... r_trek.php
Pine on Future of 'Star Trek'

Posted by ExtraTV Staff on August 22, 2009 11:28 AM

Chris Pine chatted about the potential "Star Trek" sequel and what's next for the rising star!

"Star Trek" has grossed over $380,000,000 worldwide and there are rumors about a sequel. "They want to get stuff going for 2011, so I don't know if that means we'll shoot next year or what, but I haven't heard anything one way or the other," Pine dished to the Los Angeles Times.

When asked if the whole cast would return, Chris answered, "As far as I know, yeah."

The 28-year-old stud starts shooting the thriller "Unstoppable" this fall. He says, "To be doing a movie with Denzel Washington and Tony Scott is like a kid's dream." Pine adds, "I've watched and been a fan of both of theirs for as long as I can remember."
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/frida ... 84136.html
Friday Five: The Most Entertaining Movies of Summer 2009
By: Erik Davis on August 21, 2009 at 1:33PM Comments (5)

Well, we've just about hit that spot in the month of August when it's time to begin assessing the summer movie season that was. What were the biggest hits and misses? Which films turned out better than you thought they would, or, alternatively, which films turned out worse? There's so much we could go over – from acting performances to best use of special effects, but for this week's Friday Five I'd like to concentrate on which five films turned out to be the most entertaining overall. Here's mine:

1. Star Trek – Kudos to J.J. Abrams and his fanboy crew for transforming what had become a very dull franchise into something new, hip, electric and fun. Their re-vamped version of Star Trek – starring a cast full of hot up-and-coming faces – turned out to be a surprisingly smarter start to a summer season full of big, bold, brain-dead films. Of course the sequel is all we can think about now, but I can't be the only one who's looking forward to another go-round with the Enterprise crew on DVD.
2. Up – Once again Pixar arrived during the summer months to dazzle us with a story so human and so heartwarming that it had audiences tearing up within the first five minutes. Only Pixar would take a chance on an adventurous action movie with a buddy team consisting of a cranky old man and a nosy little boy – but they pulled it off big time, and wound up churning out one of their most entertaining and satisfying movies yet.
3. The Hangover– Every summer movie season needs a dirty, foul-mouthed, R-rated piece of hilarity, and The Hangover was definitely that … times ten. Todd Phillips returned to the big screen with a movie that could've easily been written off as a sequel-of-sorts to his very funny Old School – and the talented combo of Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis was a welcomed departure from the usual comedic standards, helping to propel this sleeper into a spot up top the very short list of this summer's best comedies.
4. Moon – If 2009 will be known for anything, it will be for a much-needed surge of smart, entertaining science fiction movies. Following Star Trek's grand entrance at the beginning of the summer, June brought us a smaller, quieter sci-fi flick about a man stationed on the moon who realizes he's not alone. Sam Rockwell absolutely stole the show, and Duncan Jones (making his directorial debut) immediately became one of two fascinating new directors sure to be entertaining us for years to come.
5. District 9 – The other new director is a guy named Neill Blomkamp, who, along with producing partner Peter Jackson, followed up Moon with this low-budgeted, brainy alien movie that wowed audiences and critics alike to the point where some folks are already talking Oscar nod in at least two categories: Best Screenplay and Best Picture.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote: I hope they don't bring back Khan. Ricardo Montalban is the ONE AND ONLY Khan. No one else.
I hope they don't bring back Shatner either. They didn't include him in the first film (though Old Kirk was in the first draft of the screenplay, along with Old Spock) because they didn't want to contradict the death of Kirk in Generations. They were right.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

They need to bring in something new.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://www.newsinfilm.com/?p=23296
Trek Returns to IMAX, More Screen Size Debate

Published by Jeff Leins on: September 3rd, 2009

Star TrekAs summer comes to an end, one of the biggest releases of the movie season is going back to the largest screens in the business. Paramount Pictures is re-releasing Star Trek at 85 IMAX locations starting tomorrow (September 4).

Trek’s IMAX run in May was cut short after two weeks by Night at the Museum 2, so it’s getting another shot this month before Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs comes to town on September 18. For a list of Trek locations, skim through the list at TrekMovie.com.

However, fans may be hesitant to pick up IMAX tickets after the debate that raged around the time Trek was released. A rant by Aziz Ansari started a backlash against what is being called “Lie-Max” because of the size difference between the characteristic 72 ft. screens and the average-sized digital theaters also being branded as “the IMAX experience.”

Richard Gelfond, the CEO of IMAX, tried to respond but simply angered more consumers by quoting bogus stats and saying, “Look how great we’re doing” as the stock rose to the highest point since August 2000. Then Gelfond claimed only 2% of moviegoers could tell the difference between the two experiences. Ultimately, IMAX stated there were plans to do “something” about the complaints.

Fast forward a few months and nothing has been done to brand the digital theaters in an honest way. The company is basically ignoring “upset clients” and hoping they go away.

Gelfond is busy touching himself to the stock ticker so Brian Bonnick, IMAX’s senior executive vice president of technology, is fielding questions this month from Popular Mechanics.

Here’s what Bonnick said about the difference: “It turns out that in our large theaters, the field of view in the front row seat happens to be the same as in our [smaller] digital theaters, more or less.” He’s referring to the patent IMAX holds that allows them to remove the first four rows of seats and bring the screen closer to the audience, thus making the experience more immersive. Bonnick continues by providing numbers that admittedly are reassuring, but still don’t compare to the gigantic screens IMAX made a name with.

The seats in the Bob Bullock Museum here in Austin are already uncomfortably close to the 72 ft. screen. I can’t imagine how much closer they’re pushing the seats to make the experience comparable. No one wants to watch a movie with their knees touching the screen. Of course, that’s an exaggeration. Would it be better if I used “more or less” at the end of the sentence?

Again, it comes back to branding. IMAX is a savvy, successful company, that much is clear. However, it should distinguish the difference between massive screens and theaters that have been rearranged to charge a premium. Why not do right by the customers contributing to record-breaking returns?
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote: I hope they don't bring back Khan. Ricardo Montalban is the ONE AND ONLY Khan. No one else.
I hope they don't bring back Shatner either. They didn't include him in the first film (though Old Kirk was in the first draft of the screenplay, along with Old Spock) because they didn't want to contradict the death of Kirk in Generations. They were right.
They can probably do anything as it is an alternate universe now!! I'd love to see Shatner again. It should only be a cameo as I don't think it would be wise to give him a central role such as the part Nimoy played in Star Trek.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote: They can probably do anything as it is an alternate universe now!!
But Old Spock came through from the original series universe, where Kirk is still dead. I suppose Shatner could come from the future in the alternate universe.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I don't mind Shatner in the sequel, but Khan needs to be taken out of picture. Better to in something new and fresh.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/11/02/ex ... ek-sequel/

EXCLUSIVE: J.J. Abrams Talks About The Possibility Of Recasting Khan For 'Star Trek' Sequel

Posted 11/2/09 3:00 pm ET by Eric Ditzian in News, Video

J.J. Abrams nailed the recasting of "Star Trek" icons James T. Kirk and Spock for his big screen reboot this past May. The question, "Who in the world could possibly replace William Shatner on the Enterprise flight deck?" was answered with the resounding cry, "Holy crap is Chris Pine good!"

With these casting achievements behind him, Abrams knows he's opened up some creative leeway in terms of replacing characters in the mythology. Could that lead to another go at the franchise's #1 villain, Khan? In a recent interview, Abrams admitted taking on the genetic superfreak would be a challenge, but one no bigger than ushering in new versions of Kirk and Spock.

"I think one of the byproducts of doing this movie was we were able to dispel the obvious and understandable concerns—how can 'Star Trek' possibly exist without those original cast members?" the director explained during a recent interview with MTV's Josh Horowitz. "Now that we are in a parallel existence with what fans of the original series love so much, we could introduce any number of characters, settings, references and situations that the original series introduced. Dealing with Khan would certainly be a challenge, but we had an equal challenge in finding our crew of the Enterprise."

Abrams and his team of writers (Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof) have only just started to discuss story ideas for the sequel. But Abrams promised that in introducing past characters or storylines, the sequel will not become a simple rehashing of old movie or TV episodes.

"While I don’t want to approach the second film as a remake of episodes we’ve seen in the past... nothing is off limits in terms of what we’re discussing," he said. "When Bob Orci and the others who know 'Trek' so well, the fun of working with them is they know this universe so deeply they’re the ones who are always considering what it means to deal with the stuff in the past, so it’ll be exciting."

How do you think Khan should be handled in this new "Star Trek" universe? Do you want to see him in the next sequel? In any subsequent follow-ups? Would you rather see him left out all together?
I hope JJ bring in something new than recast the iconic role of Khan. Ricardo Montalban is the ONE AND ONLY Khan.
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

The Klingons should have a big role in the follow up.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

What do you think of Marilyn Manson as a Klingon?