Star Trek

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
katied

Re: Star Trek

Post by katied »

They had not one but TWO big displays for Star Trek at the movie theater. The studio peeps are counting on it being a HUGE hit,even to the point of shoving it down peoples' throats.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

And this was originally supposed to be a Christmas release. I don't think Star Trek has gotten this much marketing since the first film.
katied

Post by katied »

LOL I had a Star Trek dream last night :shock: I was in the new movie!
Harvey Wallbanger
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Harvey Wallbanger »

stockslivevan wrote:
"BOOBIES!!!"
"Make it so!" :lol:

It may be a good movie -in the end it might not be Trek.
Make them serious nudes!

I fear no evil because I walk with evil.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:Really? I hear it's a real dreck. :shock: But I surprised myself by not going to see it, cause I like the X-Men films, aside from The Last Stand. I think what turned me off from the new film was the news of FOX executives tampering with the film, changing sets, designs, scripts all without the director's consent. Then the leaking of it online with bad reviews really didn't help much.

I wonder how BJ is reacting to all this given it has his favorite actor. :lol: But it'll make money anyway. It opened at 30something million, so unless it has a gigantic drop, it looks like it'll sell regardless of being panned by huge numbers.
$87Million estimated for opening weekend. That number might go down, but it has the possibility of actually going up. The target demographic for this one is through the roof. Reviews be damned, word of mouth will decide the future BO take IMO.

What nobody will point out is X2's opening weekend of 85m actually did better business. Headlines tomorrow will be Biggest opening for an X-Men film! No nevermind to Last stand's Memorial Day weekend take.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:I have to say, this movie looks like an abomination. It looks like someone made a space adventure and stamped "Star Trek" as the title. The raving reviews are just astonishing, but then again critics never really got Trek. When someone says "this is what Star Trek should have always been" their heads are in the sand.

If it turns out to have an intellectual quality, I will be very damned surprised. But this looks like it's geared toward the MTV crowd.
I'm not big trek fan, lean moer towards star wars (except for the prequels) but I appreciate what Trek is meant to be . From the clip and reviews it looks more like a Serenity /Start wars knock off. I also don't like recasting the crew, I understand it is necessary for this movie to work but what happens after three movies are up and they have to recast again,. AS I said in another thread We are used to an actor being cast as a Trek character and staying the character. Trek is not like pone where the main lead can be recsat every 3 years. We develop a relationship with the actors on tv then in the movies. I liked that flavor of Trek.

I'll see the new movie as soon as I get the chance. I'll not get my hopes up , but we'll see.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:I also don't like recasting the crew, I understand it is necessary for this movie to work but what happens after three movies are up and they have to recast again,. AS I said in another thread We are used to an actor being cast as a Trek character and staying the character. Trek is not like pone where the main lead can be recsat every 3 years. We develop a relationship with the actors on tv then in the movies. I liked that flavor of Trek.
The recasting of the crew is nothing like recasting of James Bond. It's more like the recasting of Obi-Kenebi for the prequels. If you don't agree with me, I'll understand.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Dr. No wrote:I also don't like recasting the crew, I understand it is necessary for this movie to work but what happens after three movies are up and they have to recast again,. AS I said in another thread We are used to an actor being cast as a Trek character and staying the character. Trek is not like pone where the main lead can be recsat every 3 years. We develop a relationship with the actors on tv then in the movies. I liked that flavor of Trek.
The recasting of the crew is nothing like recasting of James Bond. It's more like the recasting of Obi-Kenebi for the prequels. If you don't agree with me, I'll understand.
Yes I get that. But the obi-wan, wonderfully casting by they way, is different because it was for only 3 more movies and all of the cast was committed to the 3 films. Although Ben and Princess Amadalla were about the only regular cast to be in all three.
In this new reboot what happens in 3 movies, its another recast. I'm not liking the idea because to me it cheapens star trek. All though I am hoping the movie is done well and the cast comes back for 10 more movies. That is if it is done well.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Trek has always been a ongoing ever expanding franchise,a this why I think they're taking the wrong direction. It's just not necessary. All you have to do is establish a good cast, put the best damned writing in TV then bam you got a hit TV show. This is where VOY and ENT fell short and why they're considered the weakest of the franchise.

But Paramount seems to have this mentality that no Trek show without Kirk and Co would ever work again. Wrong dipsh*ts, ENT (bar season four) and Nemesis failed because they flat out sucked and were not worth anyone's time. I hate this Hollywood mentality that they never put a single thought into whether it was the bad quality that drove the fans away or if it just didn't have TOS characters. Given the success with Batman and Bond rebooting, of course money talks. Heck it seems like every studio these days is jumping on the reboot bandwagon as if it's a magic button that could get them more money just because it worked with other films. The new Terminator film at least looks fresh for moving forward to new territory.

When it comes to Star Trek, it's out with the old and in with the new and as long as you keep up with to notch quality, the fans will remain. Afterall, VOY and ENT's premieres had the best ratings of their run, so the fans were totally supporting them, until they realized they sucked.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:Trek has always been a ongoing ever expanding franchise,a this why I think they're taking the wrong direction. It's just not necessary. All you have to do is establish a good cast, put the best damned writing in TV then bam you got a hit TV show. This is where VOY and ENT fell short and why they're considered the weakest of the franchise.

But Paramount seems to have this mentality that no Trek show without Kirk and Co would ever work again. Wrong dipsh*ts, ENT (bar season four) and Nemesis failed because they flat out sucked and were not worth anyone's time. I hate this Hollywood mentality that they never put a single thought into whether it was the bad quality that drove the fans away or if it just didn't have TOS characters. Given the success with Batman and Bond rebooting, of course money talks. Heck it seems like every studio these days is jumping on the reboot bandwagon as if it's a magic button that could get them more money just because it worked with other films. The new Terminator film at least looks fresh for moving forward to new territory.

When it comes to Star Trek, it's out with the old and in with the new and as long as you keep up with to notch quality, the fans will remain. Afterall, VOY and ENT's premieres had the best ratings of their run, so the fans were totally supporting them, until they realized they sucked.
I liked Enterprise's 3rd and 4th seasons. I was hoping for the Romulian wars. Their last show with Riker and Troy was slap to the face.

Paramount stripmined the Trek universe. Enterprise made it interesting to me, but they thought they had to go to extremes to make any kind of traction. Enterprise was a prequel of the fist Star Trek, Voyager was in the Delta Quadrant, Forget how far off DS9 was. They have plenty of room to work with the universe already created. I can see where they might ahve felt hemmed in by the future dogma they set up but that is easy enough to get rid of.

But can we really consider Bond (aka Craig's spy ;)) a "reboot". I know we throw that term around a lot, but is it really a reboot or is it really a new series. I've been wondering a bout that because they aren't going to remake all of the old Fleming stories. Which you'd think a rebooted series would be glad to rehash.

Oh BTW, Nash on that other subject we sort of too over a thread on, I watched Smallville season 7. God what a mixed bag. Soon as I'd feel "they are back!" I be disappointed before the shows ended. Still a lot of potential for season 8
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

If we use that logic, Batman Begins shouldn't be considered a reboot. :P As far as I am concerned, a reboot means restarting the series to square one then moving on doing its own thing. The new Star Trek is obviously doing this given they're doing a lot of really big stuff that would contradict what happened in the original timeline
Spoiler
Vulcan being destroyed for good

As for Bond not redoing the books, I think it's best that way. A second adaption of a movie like Goldfinger would draw too much focus on the comparison between the old and the new. It's better that they avoid that. I would only approve redoing all the books if it meant setting the films in the 50s, completely being accurate to the source material, line for line, ect. If not, don't bother.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Batman begins sets up different story for how he became Batman. Same over all story but introduces the joker in the second movie and doesn't have the joker kill Batman's Mom and Dad, and the Batman creating the joker. Harvey Dent is re-introduced,. I consider it a reboot because it will tell the stories of those characters and battles. I mean DC reset their own comic series a few times now.

True a New Dr. No or FRWL would focus on the comparison between them and the orignial
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

The difference with Bond's villains and Batman's are that Bond's are one-offs (with the exception of Blofeld) while Batman's are recurring characters who you'd expect to see from time to time (remember how audiences were excited by Falcone, Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghol? lol). I think the only villains that can be used are Blofeld (who obviously can't be used given legal circumstances) and other villains who were not given proper treatment such as Mr. Big and Drax. Perhaps they could use completely untouched villains like the Spang brothers (though they should be revamped into something more interesting, frankly I thought they were bland).
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

That's the difference between a reboot and a new series. From what people are saying they are closely copying the blofeld organization in the new series but aren't going to pull the trigger and make it Blofeld. Where batman is going to name names and revisit the bad guys all over again. Bond can't because the fans would probably riot and the reviewers would go nuts comparing the old and new movies.
katied

Post by katied »

Dr. No wrote:That's the difference between a reboot and a new series. From what people are saying they are closely copying the blofeld organization in the new series but aren't going to pull the trigger and make it Blofeld. Where batman is going to name names and revisit the bad guys all over again. Bond can't because the fans would probably riot and the reviewers would go nuts comparing the old and new movies.

I hope they NEVER bring Blofeld back(my feelings about Blofeld are well known :mrgreen: ).
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

:lol: Go watch sports! Subtitle Klingon! :D :D :D :D

Man some of that is on the money
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

"My God Bones. What have I done?"
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:Especially for Stocks:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... _trek_film
Saw that recently, quite amusing.

But hey, I hold Trek to a higher standard than another summer popcorn movie. Again, the best scenario I see out of this is that I enjoy it on the level of Moonraker, not a preferable Bond film by my standards, but still entertaining. Hopefully just like Bond, Trek will find its true spirit again on Television.

Still, those lens flares are insane!

Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

You know I though having a real language to learn for Klingon and camps to learn how to speak it was far out. Then a few years ago a buddy who got in to psychology said that they some times have to learn the fantasy languages. At teh time it was elvish, it was big thanks to LOTR trilogy, I pity any one having to learn that one who didn't want to. Kids would escape so far in to the fantasy world the people trying to help them would need to understand the language being spoken. It sort of surprised me. Guess it shouldn't have