Star Trek

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:Enterprise didn't have "Star Trek" in the title for the first two seasons.
But they added it later, and I think all the words or phrases that people will instantly recognise as being associated with Star Trek (Enterprise, The Final Frontier) have already been used. Unless they call the film "Beam Me Up" or "She Canna Take Any More", both of which are crap titles.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I don't know if this would work, but would USS Enterprise be a good title for Star Trek XII? We're still dealing with the younger TOS crew.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/06/12/ ... sary.shtml
Time To Upgrade Star Trek V? Feature May Be Worth Revisiting In Light of 20th Anniversary

By GustavoLeao / 13:54, 12 June 2009 / General Star Trek

With the success of the upgraded CGI effects for the remastered version on The Original Series now airing on DVD and Blu-Ray, why not reconsider upgrading one of most troubled productions in the history of the franchise? This is a re-post of TrekWeb's comprehensive article concerning the lost vision for Star Trek V's effects in celebration of the movie 20th anniversary (Star Trek V was released in the second Friday of June 1989).

Star Trek V The Final Frontier remains to many Trek fans the movie franchise's 'disappointing failure'. But as originnally imagined and filmed by director William Shatner, The Final Frontier was to be one of the most visually exciting Trek movies yet. But the unexpected substandard special effects delivered by the FX company 'Bran Ferren And Associates' and a shrinking budget left many of the most exciting and filmed sequences of the movie unrealized and in the cutting room floor. So this is the case of the original filmed ending, abandoned due to the lack of budget and the unconvicing FX.

Originally, after the discovery that the "Sha Ka Ree alien" is not God, Sybok leaps against him, and both of them dissapear within the shaft of light as fire fills the sky. Kirk orders the Enterprise to fire and the torpedo explodes the 'God Altar' creating a huge crater. As Kirk, Spock and McCoy make a run for it, they begin hearing a horrible shrieking sound, that turns to be numerous living rockmen creatures spewing from the torpedo crater (when the final cost of the rockman costume was calculated, the production was limited to a single creature, and when the single creature did not look convincing on film, it was cut from the film completely - see an image of the test footage for the Rockman creature above).

Once the trio are inside the Copernicus shuttlecraft, Spock is unable to take off as the rockmen have arrived and torn apart the thruster units. Cut to the Enterprise, as Mr. Scotty beams Spock and McCoy on board, but when he activates the transporter for Kirk, he beams aboard a rockman who has grabbed the captain's communicator. Freaking, Scotty pick ups a hand phaser and destroys the creature, but by doing so, he also accidentally destroys the transporter console - there is no way to bring Kirk up. (When the Rockman was cut from the movie, this scene was later re-shot and re-edit in post production to include the attack of the klingons on the Enterprise and the destruction of the transporter by a photon torperdo. Also, the destruction of the shuttle by the rockman and Kirk fight with him was replaced by a badly edited scene of Kirk running from the 'God-head' beams).

Back on the planet, Kirk is being pursued by the rockmen. He fleeclimbs a small mountain and reaches the top. Armed with a hand phaser, he shoots at many creatures as he can, but their number are legion and the phaser fire only makes them hotter and smoking.

Then, the Bird-of-Prey decloacks, the machine gun phaser weapon lowers into frame and fires multiple shots at the rockman and blows it apart. Kirk stares at the ship and begins firing the hand phasers at the vessel, but is transported aboard. The rest of the film plays out as did in the final version, but this was certainly a more exciting finale to such an intense build-up.

"I look at Star Trek V with mixed emotions" screenwriter David Loughery told journalist Edward Gross in 1990. "The FX turned to out to be very disappointing, and this was a movie that we really needed them to put us over the top story-wise. Especially at the climax with the horde of rock gargolyes. You don't ever like to say that because you don't want to think that a movie is dependent on special FX. Certainly, Star Trek is the kind of thing where the FX play less of a role than the characters and the story, but I think that the story we were telling this time, at least at the movie's end, very much needed unique and convincing special FX to make those story points work. Those FX don't quite deliver, and in some cases, it looked a little shoddy and ludicrous".

So, though the 'God Altar' set was constructed as planned, the visual effects that were to take place whitin it to pay off much of what had been set up in the script remained unrealized, due to Bran Ferren's flawed special effects.

With the sucess of Special Editions on DVD and the popularity of the format, plus the success of the reworking and upgrading the FX for the Star Trek The Motion Picture Director's Edition DVD and the TOS remastered episodes, perhaps it's time for Paramount and William Shatner to revisit Star Trek V The Final Frontier and restore many of the film's lost sequences with the use of state-of-the-art CGI effects (which can not only create the legion of rock gargolyes and the fire on Sha Ka Ree's sky, but correct the poorly lit and matted FX sequences, especially Kirk's fall from El Capitan and the Enterprise warp effect and battle scenes) thus giving the troubled production the rewarding place its deserves in the Trek franchise.
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

What are you pick for the best and worst or the new crew?
top 10 1 the best 10 the worst
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Enterprise didn't have "Star Trek" in the title for the first two seasons.
But they added it later
Exactly.

I think the only times it ever really made sense to omit the title of "Star Trek" were for DS9 and VOY, which both had entirely different premises from the rest of the franchise. They still had the title obviously because it's a brand name and Paramount wanted to attract as much viewers with a familiar name.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

How would you make Nemesis better?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:How would you make Nemesis better?
I would not make Nemesis. The bare bones of the story has potential. To get to a decent story would take too much work, better to start fresh.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

stockslivevan wrote:I seriously doubt they will exclude the "Star Trek" title, that's just retarded. It worked for TDK because everyone knows that The Dark Knight = Batman. Star Trek doesn't have something like that.
Even the Batman series stayed close to home. Keeping Batman in the title somewhere. TDK may be the only instance they stray. I hope they feel bold enough to attempt an original title.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Blowfeld wrote:
I would not make Nemesis. The bare bones of the story has potential. To get to a decent story would take too much work, better to start fresh.
The Star Trek Countdown comic adaptation would be better than Nemesis. That's for sure.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Well I'd probably scrap the entire script and start anew. :)
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Trek is still doing in great in the US.
The recent estimate is $118m Overseas, not bad. Some of the earlier estimates I saw I thought it do better for longer in the markets which had good fan bases established, like in a few of the Arab states.
Good news for Paramount is they should have this movie paid for now. Scuttlebutt is they spent $300m producing and promoting it. Officially only $150 million was spent to make it. Just something to remember when were are discussing profitability and advertising cost on something like Quark. Of course Star Treks $351m take and its 300m cost is not taking into account the theaters cut of the BO.

Terminator salvation is finding Salvation overseas where is it preforming much stronger than in the states. Who knows if they can keep it up.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Actually put Nemesis in it. Credo!

FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Trek is still doing in great in the US.
The recent estimate is $118m Overseas, not bad. Some of the earlier estimates I saw I thought it do better for longer in the markets which had good fan bases established, like in a few of the Arab states.
Good news for Paramount is they should have this movie paid for now. Scuttlebutt is they spent $300m producing and promoting it. Officially only $150 million was spent to make it. Just something to remember when were are discussing profitability and advertising cost on something like Quark. Of course Star Treks $351m take and its 300m cost is not taking into account the theaters cut of the BO.
I hope the sequel doesn't end up like the odd-numbered Trek films.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

oscartheman wrote:What are you pick for the best and worst or the new crew?
top 10 1 the best 10 the worst
Are there 10 people I should be ranking?

1. Bones
2. Uhura
3. Scotty
4. Spock
5. Kirk
6.Sulu

10. Chekov
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

FormerBondFan wrote:I hope the sequel doesn't end up like the odd-numbered Trek films.
I hope the sequel doesn't end up like its predecessor.

*ba-dum-ch!*

However with the money it is raking in, I suppose any hope for an actual Star Trek film is dashed against the rocks.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote: I hope the sequel doesn't end up like its predecessor.

*ba-dum-ch!*

However with the money it is raking in, I suppose any hope for an actual Star Trek film is dashed against the rocks.
Now you know how most of us felt after CR.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Code: Select all

Domestic:  	 $246,779,912  	   66.5%
+ Foreign: 	 $124,127,476 	   33.5%
= Worldwide: 	 $370,907,388
I still wonder if their Foreign totals are current. They are showing a few places they didn't before but I wonder how much some markets are off buy or if they are just under my expectations
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:I hope the sequel doesn't end up like the odd-numbered Trek films.
I hope the sequel doesn't end up like its predecessor.

*ba-dum-ch!*

Cheer up stocks me old mate! they are nearly breaking even at this point.
Word is they spent 300m making and promoting the reboot.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:

Code: Select all

Domestic:  	 $246,779,912  	   66.5%
+ Foreign: 	 $124,127,476 	   33.5%
= Worldwide: 	 $370,907,388
I still wonder if their Foreign totals are current. They are showing a few places they didn't before but I wonder how much some markets are off buy or if they are just under my expectations
Look like ST will have more money in the box office than Batman Begins worldwide.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://coronacomingattractions.com/news ... ovember-17
Star Trek beams down on November 17
Posted by Patrick Sauriol on Friday, July 17, 2009

It's all but officially stamped by Paramount Home Video that the newly reimagined Star Trek will arrive on home video come November 17. The movie will be available as a three-disc Blu-ray, a two-disc DVD with loads of extra features and a single-disc film that will include a director's commentary track by J.J. Abrams.

There will also be a gimmicky feature on the cover for the disc. Called "augmented reality," when you hold up the cover to the Star Trek DVD in front of your computer's webcam you will be treated to an interactive hologram-like image on your screen. By turning your hand you will be able to move the image and tour five different rooms onboard the U.S.S. Enterprise, as well as engage enemies in a space battle.

While the arrival date is known, it's less clear what kind of extra material will be on the two-disc and three-disc sets. One of the promised features that the movie's creators alluded to including in the DVD are deleted scenes, such as the birth of Spock, the arrest of Nero by Klingons and a more detailed explanation as to what the time travelling Romulans were up to for the 25 years between the attack on the U.S.S. Kelvin and when the grown-up Kirk meets them.

It's also been hinted that there will be a Starfleet Vessel Simulator that will allow you to look at the Enterprise from a 360-degree angle and a Blu-ray feature that will connect with NASA and allow you to find out what the latest news is from real outer space.