The Last Movie You Watched

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

The Last Movie You Watched

Post by stockslivevan »

Alien³ (2003 Assembly Cut)

Just bought it. I'm liking the honesty from crew members on the docs. A lot of studios would edit everyones opinions unless they're backpatting crap. Wish David Fincher edited the film himself for the 2003 cut, but it's good enough with the 30 mins of restored footage. :)

I give it an 8/10
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I Am Legend

There's a Bond connection in that Vic Armstrong was the second unit director. I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but afterwards, when I started to think about it, the plot holes and silly bits became more apparent. Still, 6/10.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I Am Legend
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Stardust. Mrs. Dr No loved it!
While I wouldn't wildly recommend this, but if you like the Princes Birde, you might like this one.
It's fun fantasy if you don't think too hard on it or mind seeing De Niro in a dress.

6/10
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Commando

Yet another movie in the 80s that was making the Moore films look like a joke. Okay, Commando is OTT but it handles it real well and Arnold is believable as a tough guy with a lot of charisma who can deliver one-liners with ease.

*Holds a thug over a cliff*
Arnold: "Hey Sully, remember when I said I'd kill you last?"
Sully: "That's right, you did!"
Arnold: "I LIED."
*drops Sully*
Sully: "AHHHHHH!!!"
*Arnold walks back to the car*
Girl: "Hey, what did you do with Sully?"
Arnold: "I let him go."

:lol: Totally reminds me of early Connery to be honest. Just good delivery.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:Commando

Yet another movie in the 80s that was making the Moore films look like a joke. Okay, Commando is OTT but it handles it real well and Arnold is believable as a tough guy with a lot of charisma who can deliver one-liners with ease.
Did you watch it on TV? I saw it on one of the movie channels a week or two back.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:Commando

Did you watch it on TV? I saw it on one of the movie channels a week or two back.
Nope. DVD. There was $20 box set containing Commando, Predator, and True Lies.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I love Commando.

I'm not sure you can compare a Roger Moore Bond film to a typical violent 1980's action film. There would have been a few eyebrows raised if Sir Roger made an 18 certificate Bond in 1986, and had a scene massacring villians with a selection of garden tools!
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:I love Commando.

I'm not sure you can compare a Roger Moore Bond film to a typical violent 1980's action film. There would have been a few eyebrows raised if Sir Roger made an 18 certificate Bond in 1986, and had a scene massacring villians with a selection of garden tools!
I think he meant that the combination of violent death and one-liners was influenced by Bond. I'd say that was a fairly uncontroversial statement. Arnie certainly sounds more comfortable delivering a one-line gag than the florid speeches that John Milius gave him in Conan the Barbarian ("Vot is best in life? To crush your enemies, see zem driffen before you und to hear der lamentation off zeir vimmin").
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

You're a funny man, Kristatos, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last. :wink:
Bring back Bond!
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I mean I find Commando a good alternative to A View to a Kill. I don't mean Bond should become R rated and have Roger Moore covered in body oil flexing as he shoots out a bullet, that would be a joke, and disgusting. :lol: The Bond films in the 60s with Connery have an edge and the series lost that edge by the 80s by keeping Moore as Bond. Another reason why the series started to decline in ticket sales is probably because a lot of people were getting tired of Moore films. If you put together the action icons of the 80s, Moore would stick out like a sore thumb.

If Cubby had gone with Timothy Dalton at the start of the 80s, the Bond interest in the public would have been kept balanced and his Bond would have easily stood next to his competitors when it comes to being dangerous and cool, instead of being balked at.

But Cubby was 7 years too late and by the time Dalton entered, people already embraced action heroes like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis. Bond lost its popularity and people wouldn't realize what they missed until it was gone.

A lost opportunity:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:If Cubby had gone with Timothy Dalton at the start of the 80s, the Bond interest in the public would have been kept balanced and his Bond would have easily stood next to his competitors when it comes to being dangerous and cool, instead of being balked at.

But Cubby was 7 years too late and by the time Dalton entered, people already embraced action heroes like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis. Bond lost its popularity and people wouldn't realize what they missed until it was gone.
Without knowing all the ins and outs of EON history, I suspect that Cubby's problem was that he didn't have the heart to fire anyone, and so Sir Rog was allowed to stay in the role as long as he wanted. FYEO was intended for a new Bond, I believe.

Having said that, hindsight is always 20/20, and Sir Rog had just scored a huge hit with Moonraker, so I can't altogether blame Cubby for not wanting to take a risk with a new actor. FYEO's back-to-basics approach was already a big enough risk as it was.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Go, Johnny, Go! (1959)
Get Yourself a College Girl (1964)

Rock n' roll musical romps. Bad acting, I mean BAD. But the performances on the musical sections are good. The music videos of their day.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Blood Simple (1984)

What a lovely tea party.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Alistair McClean's Night Watch with Pierce Brosnan as UN Special Agent Mike Graham. Wonderful.

Maybe I should not have said that in public.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Big Trouble in Little China on TV, which I have to confess is something of a guilty pleasure for me. I know you're not supposed to like it, but I find it endearingly goofy rather than just plain stupid like most people do.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Manhattan (1979)

I'm not into romantic comedies, but I really liked this one a lot. Instantly one of my favorites.
katied

Post by katied »

This is England. Good stuff.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by carl stromberg »

Escape to Victory. "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off". Hang on, that's the wrong film.....

Bring back Bond!
katied

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by katied »

Elizabeth:The Golden Age