The Last Movie You Watched

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Kristatos »

Godzilla. I liked it a lot. Such a shame it is getting poor word of mouth because modern audiences don't have the patience to allow a slow build-up to the monster's first appearance. Godzilla himself looked great. I liked the way that, for all the CGI trickery, he still moved like a man in a rubber suit. I noticed Andy Serkis's name in the credits as a "motion capture consultant", so I assume they motion-captured a human actor for big G. I also liked the way that it wasn't a reboot or a remake, it directly referenced the events of the 1954 film. 9/10.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Humm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
............ :007:
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

Chocolate starring Jeeja Yanin (pronounced chi cha). I'm giving the star highest stars and the film itself as very high starred. Just saw this on darkray, stumbling upon it by Fate. It's a slam-bang action martial arts fest, and the heroine is an autistic girl who teaches herself to be a deadly fighter by watching movies and live fighters! She has to be the most "awww, you've got to root for her" protagonist of all, along with her chubby friend. (In the original film, she was watching Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films, but legal issues precluded; also, moves that were too reminiscent of Lee or Chan's moves were taken out).
But some background, so you'll appreciate it: This was released in 2008, and the star was in her early 20s, but plays (and looks) a 14 year old in the film. Her dad died when she was a teen, and she started martial art at eleven years, and began to teach to help her mom and family. The film took FOUR YEARS to make. Two years for her to train, plus two years to film! In the outtakes you can see lots of the stuntmen and star being hurt; some being taken to the hospital... really bone breaking stunts, it's doubtful any wirework was used.... so thankfully none of that Crouching Tiger bleep.
The main character is autistic (Yanin studied autistic kids), and she can catch flying objects without thinking.... her mom was once a gangster's moll, but went straight, and fell in love with a guy who has to hide out in Japan for years. Her mom has a serious medical condition, and Zen (the girl) learns that gangsters owe her mom money, so she and her chubby friend go to collect: "Mama, money!" and the gangsters of course thinks she's just a dummy. And then follows some of the finest martial arts action ever, and I would say the best by a girl (although I haven't seen all of the girl martial artists!), but great sequences, plus her character and her acting makes you suspend belief and want her to kick all the bad guy's bleepers, and she does with style. The first big fight is a homage to Bruce Lee's first film in an ice factory, and the second big fight is homage to Jackie Chan .... and the third is in a big dojo that is reminiscent with Lee's Game of Death set. This third big sequence features her with double sticks and the pace is just on the money. The other sequences go on for a bit.
If you like films where one lone good guy (girl) takes on dozens of baddies, this is the one! Jason Stathem, et all would look embarrassing alongside Jeeja Yanin. As one reviewer said, it's a shame she wasn't born in a western country, since she probably won't be noticed by Hollywood. This is a girl who doesn't need CCG / wire work. If there was ever a girl who could have played Bruce Lee's sister, this is the one. Don't see it expecting a great script, of course, although it's passable. See it for the star. My only dream is that she is featured in a film with the Craigstirless and she kicks his etc etc., :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched The Amazing Spider Man 2 in the cinema It was entertaining.. BJMDDS is just to about to have me arrested. :D
Bring back Bond!
Jamesdude
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Licence to kill,Live and Let Die, OHMSS, View to a Kill,Tommorow Never Dies

Post by Jamesdude »

Masters Of The Universe, holy crud this movie is terrible. My brother is a big fan of this movie.

I cant wait till they reboot this with Michael Bay, at least his "toy" movies are good.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Lego movie. Pretty good kids of all ages love it and it's not a bad message. Going to go to how to train your dragon 2 soon.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

commander0077again wrote:Chocolate starring Jeeja Yanin (pronounced chi cha). I'm giving the star highest stars and the film itself as very high starred. Just saw this on darkray, stumbling upon it by Fate. It's a slam-bang action martial arts fest, and the heroine is an autistic girl who teaches herself to be a deadly fighter by watching movies and live fighters! She has to be the most "awww, you've got to root for her" protagonist of all, along with her chubby friend. (In the original film, she was watching Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films, but legal issues precluded; also, moves that were too reminiscent of Lee or Chan's moves were taken out).
But some background, so you'll appreciate it: This was released in 2008, and the star was in her early 20s, but plays (and looks) a 14 year old in the film. Her dad died when she was a teen, and she started martial art at eleven years, and began to teach to help her mom and family. The film took FOUR YEARS to make. Two years for her to train, plus two years to film! In the outtakes you can see lots of the stuntmen and star being hurt; some being taken to the hospital... really bone breaking stunts, it's doubtful any wirework was used.... so thankfully none of that Crouching Tiger bleep.
The main character is autistic (Yanin studied autistic kids), and she can catch flying objects without thinking.... her mom was once a gangster's moll, but went straight, and fell in love with a guy who has to hide out in Japan for years. Her mom has a serious medical condition, and Zen (the girl) learns that gangsters owe her mom money, so she and her chubby friend go to collect: "Mama, money!" and the gangsters of course thinks she's just a dummy. And then follows some of the finest martial arts action ever, and I would say the best by a girl (although I haven't seen all of the girl martial artists!), but great sequences, plus her character and her acting makes you suspend belief and want her to kick all the bad guy's bleepers, and she does with style. The first big fight is a homage to Bruce Lee's first film in an ice factory, and the second big fight is homage to Jackie Chan .... and the third is in a big dojo that is reminiscent with Lee's Game of Death set. This third big sequence features her with double sticks and the pace is just on the money. The other sequences go on for a bit.
If you like films where one lone good guy (girl) takes on dozens of baddies, this is the one! Jason Stathem, et all would look embarrassing alongside Jeeja Yanin. As one reviewer said, it's a shame she wasn't born in a western country, since she probably won't be noticed by Hollywood. This is a girl who doesn't need CCG / wire work. If there was ever a girl who could have played Bruce Lee's sister, this is the one. Don't see it expecting a great script, of course, although it's passable. See it for the star. My only dream is that she is featured in a film with the Craigstirless and she kicks his etc etc., :cake:
?
That was a good film. Yanin was groomed as a replacement to Tony Jaa, but I think she has her own style. Have you seen Raging Phoenix (also starring Yanin)?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

47 Ronin. It was interesting but I have no idea why keanu reeves was in it. It's a better story without him. Maybe if there is an extended cut with more monster fighting his character would make sense.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Went to edge of tomorrow, ground hogs day meets alien invasion. Good but predictable. Oblivion was better.

The showing we went to was almost empty I don't think it will be on the top ten much longer.

Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

I'd forgotten how entertaining this film was. Brosnan certainly had a good time; living in a beautiful paradise, married to Salma Hayek, erm... sharing a bed with Woody Harrelson... :lol:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Monuments men

Craig probably dogged a bad by quitting like he did.

Sort of sucked but was entertaining
How can Clooney take a real WWII story and take all the excitement out if it?

The cast was not bad. But they never felt real as characters I should care about.

The music was too upbeat like a old time comedy, but it's supposed to be a war movie right?

Not a bad movie for the history, but it's no saving private Ryan.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: Not a bad movie for the history, but it's no saving private Ryan.
From what I've read, that's not really the vibe they were going for. It sounds more like Kelly's Heroes than SPR.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote: Not a bad movie for the history, but it's no saving private Ryan.
From what I've read, that's not really the vibe they were going for. It sounds more like Kelly's Heroes than SPR.
hogans Heroes might before accurate.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Watched Colombiana on TV last night. It can be effectively reviewed in just 4 words: typical Luc Besson film. Yes, I know he didn't direct it, but his fingerprints are all over it.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Guardians of the galaxy

Did not suck. ;)

I had my doubts, a tree and talking raccoon would give anyone doubts.
A little bit cliched but it didn't take away from it being a fun space adventure.

Drax the destroyer reminded me of Craig.
Eon is sure to save Craig's head and paint him blue now.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy as well. I enjoy it, but I still prefer Iron Man 3.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Godbye Lenin.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Godbye Lenin.
Is that the one where they have to shield the old communist East German granny from the news that the Berlin Wall has fallen, in case the shock kills her?

OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Kristatos wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Godbye Lenin.
Is that the one where they have to shield the old communist East German granny from the news that the Berlin Wall has fallen, in case the shock kills her?

Yes that is the one! Although it's her son and daughtter who try to protect her. She has a weak heart and is confined to her bed so her children pretend the wall is still there by playing old East German tv programmes and using jars etc of East German food.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

I watched the enjoyable Guadians of the Galaxy too.