The Last Movie You Watched

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by Kristatos »

Just got back from the cinema. I thoroughly enjoyed it, much better than Into Darkness. In some ways, it felt more like an installment of the original movie franchise than the previous two movies. But I don't think that the purists would like it, the ones who miss the talkiness and heavy-handed moralising of the TV shows.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

The Absolutely Fabulous movie. It was funny but you'll be "hunh?" if you've never seen the show!
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Anyone see Hillary's America yet? :lol: Image
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Just got back from the cinema. I thoroughly enjoyed it, much better than Into Darkness. In some ways, it felt more like an installment of the original movie franchise than the previous two movies. But I don't think that the purists would like it, the ones who miss the talkiness and heavy-handed moralising of the TV shows.
you know I think it was the best they have done so far. I really liked it.

Is there a Treky myth surrounding the franklin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Ps I did appreciate the for Anton in the credits

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:I started watching a Hammer film on Horror in the early evening then stopped as I wanted to check if there had been some cuts. Maybe it is best to watch the ones shown after nine in the evening.
I just watched The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll, with a screenplay by Wolf Mankowitz and music by Monty Norman. The latter surprised me somewhat, as I thought his only non-Bond composer credit was for the Cubby-produced Call Me Bwana. It's a film that divides opinion, as it is a somewhat atypical Hammer horror, and takes considerable liberties with the source material, but I really liked it. If nothing else, it proves once and for all that making a previously dark-haired character blond completely changes that character ;)
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:I started watching a Hammer film on Horror in the early evening then stopped as I wanted to check if there had been some cuts. Maybe it is best to watch the ones shown after nine in the evening.
I just watched The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll, with a screenplay by Wolf Mankowitz and music by Monty Norman. The latter surprised me somewhat, as I thought his only non-Bond composer credit was for the Cubby-produced Call Me Bwana. It's a film that divides opinion, as it is a somewhat atypical Hammer horror, and takes considerable liberties with the source material, but I really liked it. If nothing else, it proves once and for all that making a previously dark-haired character blond completely changes that character ;)
I've never heard of that one!

I was watching Land of the Giants on the Horror Channel and they had a trailer for The Wicker Man which gave away the ending which was a bit odd.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote: I've never heard of that one!
It was a bit controversial because, predating The Nutty Professor (original Jerry Lewis version) by 3 years, it made Mr Hyde handsome and charming. This was a departure from both Robert Louis Stevenson's original novella and the usual Hammer formula. Hammer horror films without a traditional monster tended not to do well at the box office and this was no exception. But I think it was an interesting take on the story that deserved better.
carl stromberg wrote: I was watching Land of the Giants on the Horror Channel and they had a trailer for The Wicker Man which gave away the ending which was a bit odd.
I saw that too. Perhaps they consider that the ending is so well-known that they are not that worried about spoilers.
Jamesdude
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Licence to kill,Live and Let Die, OHMSS, View to a Kill,Tommorow Never Dies

Post by Jamesdude »

The Magnificent Seven, saw it earlier today. Not bad for a remake i like how the new 7 is very diverse compared to the original. Yul Breynner would be proud of Denzel
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Free state of jones

Not a bad movie but it lack a coherent story. Civil war stuff made sense, then it'd jump 100 year into the future where the main characters great great great grandson is on trial I Mississippi for being 1/8 black and marrying a white woman, ok I never knew there were law like that until the 60s, but it takes you out of the movie.
Then the movie kind of drags after the civil war ends, showcases the invention of the klan, suppression of voting rights, down right vote theft . Historical and interesting, but it takes us out of the movie by lingering too long and trying to complete the grandsons story line in 1964, they end up concluding that part of the movie with a on screen synopsis.
It's important to know the history but it didn't help the movie.
Probably will not watch it again, still it was not awful.

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched Lifeforce over the Halloween weekend.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:I watched Lifeforce over the Halloween weekend.
I haven't seen that, but I want to. I understand it's basically a Quatermass film with the serial numbers filed off. Where did you see it? TV, DVD, Netflix or what?
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:I watched Lifeforce over the Halloween weekend.
I haven't seen that, but I want to. I understand it's basically a Quatermass film with the serial numbers filed off. Where did you see it? TV, DVD, Netflix or what?
It was the blu ray version. It is a Quatermass rip off. It's a fun film with a cast that includes Nicholas Ball, Patrick Stewart, Frank Finlay, Aubrey Morris etc And it's Cannon too so it is bound to be a cult classic!
Bring back Bond!
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

Dr. Strange is a fun watch. Cumberland nails the title character in acting and a great plus plus in actually resembling the physical look of the comix. It would really be strange if Babs had been in charge. (sorry for that aside, couldn't help it) :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Just watched Fantastic Beasts the third time. The spinoff is fantastic at its own right, but if I have to choose between this and any of Harry's adventures, I choose the latter. It's like preferring Rings over the Hobbit.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The next film MUST delve more into the Potter people's younger origin stories :!:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Suicide squad (extended cut)
Verdict did not suck

But they could of changed the name to Harley Quinn, she was the star. Yes another DC WB movie that strikes out on the main premise but the kick ass female lead saves the movie.

Major Miscast was Will Smith who was busy playing ,,, will smith instead of deadshot.
Captain boomerang , not sure why he was included or what he was about.

Enchantress, looks like a demon between the sheets literally, but the story never explain much about her and everything about her is supposed to be the plot. Her alter ego sadly reminded me of Denise Richards from TWINE, not in a good way, I never got some of the fawning of her looks in the late 99s and early 00s.

Col. Flag, who cares. Another uninteresting generic Hollywood interpretation of a SOF soldier.

Killer Croc, I really like this character.

Adam Beach was almost unrecognizable as slipknot, which was a waste, he a bit of a local celebrity for making a few Tony Hillerman books into movies on the Navajo res. I couldn't tell you what this character was about or why.

El Diablo was cool, of the male character stories his was better role IMHO.

The plot is thin and main battle belongs in stargate SG1 , however it is fun in a deadpool sort of way.

Batman is supposed to show up in this movie instead we get Batffleck, problem with Affleck as Batman is it's plan as day it's Affleck, meaning it's plain as day Bruce Wayne is Batman to all the world.

Last is the new joker, despite all the hype he does not have that much screen time. Leto is not a inspired choice to play the clown prince, he's trying to play off Ledgers brilliant joker but just reminds us there was a much better joker not that long ago. I get where they want to go with this joker it just not that interesting. It's another masterpiece of villainy ruined by bad casting, lex Luther and the joker are two of the best know fictional villains in the world right up there with Blofeld and each in turn have be ruined by poor story telling and bad casting of pedigreed actors incapable of playing the role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Mechanic resurrection
It's a Jason statham movie so it didn't really suck just was what you'd expect .

Seems like directors have learned he doesn't have to talk, so he didn't for 95% of the movie .

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Omega wrote:Mechanic resurrection
It's a Jason statham movie so it didn't really suck just was what you'd expect .

Seems like directors have learned he doesn't have to talk, so he didn't for 95% of the movie .

He just punches people in the face.

One Christmas movie I watched for the first time was The Christmas Wife. It was made in 1988 and is about a man (played by Jason Robards) who is facing his first Christmas without his wife so hires a woman to be his companion at his lakeside cabin for Christmas. It has a nice atmosphere - slightly melancholy - and has a good twist ending.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Jason Bourne aka the Bourne redundancy.

Verdict it sucks.

Painful to watch and predictable as hell. The attempted spin off with Craig's wife was slightly better.

It had a required people sitting in a board room when the name Jason Bourne comes up somebody says " Jesus Christ!" "What if this gets out!?"

It almost had a edgy plot about the government in bed with the tech industry and wanting back doors into software. But even last august this was moot with the major companies encrypting phones.
Most of the plot is driven by tech and wanabelieve magic track down a perp software was too convenient to be believable.
The CIA able to take control of the power grid in Iceland to shut off one warehouse hackers were using, yeah right. I doubt half their s**t is even modernized, second is hackers / regular Computer addicts have so many back up power sources I doubt they'd be on a grid, let alone one the CIA could get at easily. But this is the first of many logic fails in the movie.

Second I guess is the main bad guy ,the asset ,looks like Andy Serkis's stand in. Which maybe is moor believable a special operative would look average. Dunno.

You know how we make jokes about Craig being a ape looking at Technology, this was Damon in literally every scene a piece of tech was in. They could have hired the puppet from team America . Oh if you are unfortunate enough to watch this movie a scene in the beginning of the movie where Bourne is washing his face and looking in the mirror, deep so reflection here, He is thinking "Oh god! Robin I'm Robin! " ;) just a joke to get you through the rest of the movie.

The original Bourne music scores were re used to full painful effect. It worked for a tense fight scene 12 years ago and was done to death in this one.

It shows how played out Bourne idea is, sad to think eon trashed bond to follow these clowns down a dead end.

Maybe they should reboot Bourne as what he was meant to be a hero hunting terrorist for his government not a Hero terrorized by his government. But this is also what Bond has been reduced to as well.