Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by katied »

Just saw Milk tonight. Incredible.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

This Is England on the Sundance Channel On Demand. A good film, but tough to watch. I hope Babs never gets to see it, as she'd probably want to hire Shane Meadows to direct Bond 23.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

This is England is great..Netflixed it a while back and really enjoyed it.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

This Is England? what is it about?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:This Is England? what is it about?
It's a semi-autobiographical film about the director's childhood, when he took up with a gang of skinheads. Even though
Spoiler
it ends with his total rejection of everything they stand for
, it still caused controversy when it was first released for its scenes of a 12-year-old protagonist spouting racist epithets. The film was rated 18 in the UK, meaning that its star wasn't allowed to see it in the cinema!
katied

Post by katied »

I've got Mr. Bean's Holiday,The Nanny Diaries and Shoot 'Em Up from Netflix(haven't watched any of them yet though)
katied

Post by katied »

Went to see Doubt this afternoon.Amazing acting all around.Makes me glad I didn't go to Catholic school :P
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I watched Goldfinger in Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.

Fun movie. Once that i hadn't seen in almost 20 years
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

Watched a German movie called Mostly Martha. It's about a woman who's a chef who is very high strung.Her sister is killed in a car accident and she takes custody of her niece.It's a great film, happy and sad, with lots of cooking(I love to cook so this movie was *perfect* for me!)

There was a remake -No Reservations- with Catherine Zeta Jones and Aaron Eckhart which I *haven't* seen, but reading a description, there was a lot they changed from the original.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Star Trek: Insurrection. It's a nice entry - although the colur purple is quite prominent.
Bring back Bond!
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

carl stromberg wrote:Star Trek: Insurrection. It's a nice entry - although the colur purple is quite prominent.
I know some people may disagree with me, but I think this is the best of the odd-numbered ST films.
Last edited by FormerBondFan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
katied

Post by katied »

Slumdog Millionaire-good stuff.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

FormerBondFan wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:Star Trek: Insurrection. It's a nice entry - although the colur purple is quite prominent.
I know some people may disagree with me, but I think this is the best of the odd-numbered ST films.
I say Search for Spock is one of the best odd numbered flicks. I like Insurrection, though it seemed better suited as a feature length TV episode like DS9's The Way of the Warrior, rather than cinematic.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

stockslivevan wrote:I like Insurrection, though it seemed better suited as a feature length TV episode like DS9's The Way of the Warrior, rather than cinematic.
You could say that again.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Just watched Serenity on TV. I never saw Firefly, so I didn't follow everything that went on, but there was enough good writing in there to remind me how good Joss Whedon used to be. I needed one after watching the first episode of Dollhouse, which was dreadful.
katied

Post by katied »

From what I heard, Dollhouse is close to being cancelled=the ratings were *that* bad :shock:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:From what I heard, Dollhouse is close to being cancelled=the ratings were *that* bad :shock:
Really, after one episode? I thought a lot of people would tune in because of Joss Whedon's name and then there would be a big second week drop-off. I wonder if the "sex sells" marketing campaign, based around lots of pictures of Eliza Duckshoot in various states of undress, wasn't a double-edged sword, driving away more female viewers than it attracted male ones. It was a cause of tension in our house when I had to explain to my wife that I didn't want to watch it so I could lech at naked ladies, I happen to be a fan of Joss Whedon's (previous) work. That was the truth, cross my heart, but it sounds too much like "I only read Playboy for the articles" for comfort.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I saw Serenty in theaters, and I had never seen the TV series. I mostly went because all the reviews were very good to it. I really liked it a lot and was able to follow what was going on. However when I finally saw the TV series it only added my appreciation. You should check out the show Kris, it's only 14 episodes, but the material is good enough to make you feel like you have known these characters for a whole season or two.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:I really liked it a lot and was able to follow what was going on. However when I finally saw the TV series it only added my appreciation.
That's what I figured. I followed most of it, but there were moments where I felt that if I had seen Firefly, I would have had more insight into the characters and backstory.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

As I said, it would basically add appreciation, like a bonus. The film works greatly without needing to watch it, in fact if you notice, the entire universe's characters and settings are all set up for newcomers in the first twenty minutes.

Still it's amazing that a film based on an obscure 3 year old canceled TV show that only lasted 14 episodes and has no stars within the cast, was able to get a green light in Hollywood. It's simply a film that had no reason to be made, as Joss said. And from a greedy studio's point of view, he was right. It made $38 million worldwide compared to Revenge of the Sith's $848 million. At least the former managed to close its universe with heart and character.