The Dark Knight

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Re: The Dark Knight

Post by stockslivevan »

I agree with Sweeney on the action being more grounded. It's not realistic, even Bourne and Bond aren't realistic. I think it's a misused word. The type of action used today by Batman, Bourne and Bond is more grounded where after all the ridiculous films with Spider-Man and such, these kind of films seem realistic in comparison, but aren't really. BJ said that these kind of action films might decline which would spell doom for QOS, but given the gigantic success of TDK, I don't think this trend is quite over yet. This is yet another reason why I think Nolan would be perfect for the Craig era given how similar his films are in tone and the fact directing a Bond would be a dream come true for him, enough qualities to make Mike and Babs realize that this is the man who they should work with.

As for the film itself, I've seen it twice already and I am dying to see it again. A lot of people praise Ledger, he deserves it, but I think Bale, Oldman and Eckhart are all great in this film too. After seeing it enough in theaters, waiting for that DVD release is going to feel just as long as waiting for the film to hit theaters. :x
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Nolan's vision certainly fits with recent Batman comics.
You meant The Dark Knight Returns?
I read the comics from the late 70's through to the late 80's, and this style of Gotham certainly fits that. It's one of the reasons why I hated the original 89 Batman so much.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Nolan's vision certainly fits with recent Batman comics.
You meant The Dark Knight Returns?
And the Batman comics that followed it. TDKR set the tone for pretty much every Batman comic of the last 20 years or so, the Burton and Nolan movies (not the Schumacher films, which were a bizarre hybrid of Frank Miller and Lorenzo Semple Jr) and even the animated series.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The animated series in the '90s seemed a little bit more realistic than the Schumacher films.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:The animated series in the '90s seemed a little bit more realistic than the Schumacher films.
And it gave the sense of Gotham City as a hopelessly corrupt mob town with very few honest public servants - a constant theme in Nolan's films, especially TDK - better than either the Burton or Schumacher films.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I wonder if a Batman/Superman crossover movie would ever be made.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

FormerBondFan wrote:I wonder if a Batman/Superman crossover movie would ever be made.
It's hard to say. Brandon Routh said he would be interest in a crossover if Christian Bale was to be a part of it, but I dunno if Bale is interested in doing that.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

When would the reboot series end?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:I wonder if a Batman/Superman crossover movie would ever be made.
It's hard to say. Brandon Routh said he would be interest in a crossover if Christian Bale was to be a part of it, but I dunno if Bale is interested in doing that.
I think Bale said he would, but the disappointing box-office performance of Superman Returns seems to have put the project on the back-burner, if not killed it altogether. Shame.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:When would the reboot series end?
Which reboot series?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:
Which reboot series?
I meant Nolan's Batman series.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Which reboot series?
I meant Nolan's Batman series.
I guess it will end when people stop going to see them, the same as any successful franchise.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:I guess it will end when people stop going to see them, the same as any successful franchise.
I hope Nolan and Bale don't bow out before the series end.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I guess it will end when people stop going to see them, the same as any successful franchise.
I hope Nolan and Bale don't bow out before the series end.
I think Bale's contract is for three movies (which is possibly another obstacle to a Batman/Superman crossover featuring Bale and Routh, as I read somewhere that WB weren't keen on "using up" one of his three on a crossover movie, though as with all internet chatter, it's probably best to take that with a grain of salt until you hear it from a reliable source). I'd also like Bale and Nolan to keep going, but if the Batman franchise continues to be successful, it's possible that someone else may take over. As long as Joel Schumacher and Akiva Goldsman are never, never again allowed anywhere near the Caped Crusader, I'll be happy. I'm sure there are other good actors and directors who could make a quality Batman film. After all the Heat comparisons, how about letting Michael Mann have a crack at one?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:I'd also like Bale and Nolan to keep going, but if the Batman franchise continues to be successful, it's possible that someone else may take over.
These guys are too good to bow out of the franchise.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

WB wants to keep Brandon Routh as Superman, the problem is getting the new film out. The sequel was supposed to start filming in March with a script finished by Nov 07. However, the script was rejected and at the same time the writers strike was still going on so there was obviously no way a new script could be ready by March 08, pushing back the release date from Summer 2009 to 2010.

There actually was a Superman vs Batman film in development but this was before Christian Bale or Brandon Routh were even in the running. Since then there hasn't been any news on the development of such a crossover, except for the comment about Routh being interested in working with Bale, but that's all that is.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I would love to see the crossover movie being made.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:As long as Joel Schumacher and Akiva Goldsman are never, never again allowed anywhere near the Caped Crusader, I'll be happy.
:cheers:
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

There is talk of another Superman film but without Bryan Singer. I quite enjoyed SR although I seemed to be in the minority. I think people felt it didn't have enough action or spectacle ultimately.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

James wrote:There is talk of another Superman film but without Bryan Singer. I quite enjoyed SR although I seemed to be in the minority. I think people felt it didn't have enough action or spectacle ultimately.
Pretty much. From the last reports I heard, Bryan Singer is returning purly because WB still has faith in him because of his other working being successful, although they're more cautious. So right now he's apparently working with new writers on the script. Beyond that, everyone else is just waiting to see what happens. Brandon Routh confirmed that he's locked on for a sequel and Kevin Spacey says he'll return but expects to play more as a secondary villain ala Ian McKellen in X-Men 2. However, because SR didn't do so successful there are other writers submitting their work in hopes of doing a reboot.