The Mummy 3

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

The Mummy 3

Post by FormerBondFan »

Is anyone here taking any chances of seeing The Mummy 3 this summer?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The Mummy 3

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:Is anyone here taking any chances of seeing The Mummy 3 this summer?
Ugh. Not me.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I don't mind the movie taking place in China, but what really bothers me is Maria Bello as Evy.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I didn't want to like the Mummy moives. Gotta admit they are fun. Didn't they already have a part 3? The Scorpion King (SUCKED) ?

Maria Bello as Evy? Whats Rachel Weisz doing that shes too busy..OR is she too good for it now?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:I didn't want to like the Mummy moives. Gotta admit they are fun. Didn't they already have a part 3? The Scorpion King (SUCKED) ?

Maria Bello as Evy? Whats Rachel Weisz doing that shes too busy..OR is she too good for it now?
The Scorpion King is a spinoff prequel so it's not part 3.

About Rachel not returning as Evy, it's either because she didn't like the script, her busy schedule, or perhaps both.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Yes. you're right. Sorry.

I remember seeing the DVD packing and thought it was a trilogy.
We enjoyed the Mummies 1&2, and will definitely give Mummy 3 a try.

I do hope they leave Imotep dead this time. ;)
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The 3rd mummy takes place in China so Imhotep's not returning, and Jet Li's the main villain this time.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

This movie will suck.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

So much for "You have to see it before you judge it." ;)

M3 has the potential for being good, M1&2 deliver an entertaining romp, where as teh scorpion king sucked. Scorpion king 2, no way. Mummy 3 has a shot.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote:Mummy 3 has a shot.
With Rob Cohen directing, I highly doubt it.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:
Rob Cohen has a better record with action movies than some others I can name, oh say like Marc Forster ;)
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:
Rob Cohen has a better record with action movies than some others I can name, oh say like Marc Forster ;)
So what? You could have said the same for Christopher Nolan in 2004, by that point who was known for psychological dramas before stepping in to direct Batman Begins. Just because Rob Cohen made a couple of cheap Hollywood action flicks doesn't make him more qualified.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Uwe Boll would have been worse. I haven't seen any of his movies, but I know there's a lot of negative things about him from moviegoers.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I'm glad Sommers isn't directing again. The first Mummy was fun, and Van Helsing is a guilty pleasure (as Barry Norman said of Anaconda, "it's one of those films which is so preposterously awful that you can't help liking it"), but The Mummy Returns was just horrible.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I didn't say Rob Cohen was my choice. All I said was he has a history of making successful action movies. If the script for Mummy 3 is a turd no director on earth could shine it up enough.
While I may not like some of Choen's films, 2 of his movies were successful enough to launch franchises. If the franchise failed later that neither here nor there..

But it is hypocritical for the fanboys who claim "you can't judge it until you see it" dismiss Mummy 3 because of the series or the director.
I guess they'll be very understating when people who didn't like Craig or CR abstain from Bond 22.

Marc Forster would be my choice for "Silver Chair" Or "The Horse and His Boy", a action adventure like bond is new to him.
Christopher Nolan had some violent thrillers under his belt before Batman. And when he retold batman he didn't strip what made batman away, he embraced it then made it bigger and better. Look at the utility belt, the Batmobile, the new Batcycle.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

But it is hypocritical for the fanboys who claim "you can't judge it until you see it" dismiss Mummy 3 because of the series or the director.
How so? I've already seen Cohen's work and I've been very unimpressed. Should I just put blind faith in him for making giant leap as a quality director? That'll be the day. If a director should be praised for launching a franchise, I guess the same applies to the guy who directed American Ninja.

No Marc Forster film may have made over a $100 million, but they won more praise than Cohen could hope for for his films.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Cohen proved he can make a blockbusters, blockbuster that make enough the studio trip over themselves to make another. I'm not saying he's great director, but neither is Michale Bay. Cohen has his fans and if he were directing Bond many hacking him now would sing a different tune.

Campbell has baggage for being hack. So if someone saw Zorro 2 and thought "dear christ this is the guy directing CR", they can skip watching it?

Not only hypocritical, but also prophetic.
Big BO numbers do not make a movie good, but will help another made even if the first one was crap.
Plenty of people dismiss a movie series because of the director or based on the last experience watching it. Based on your disdain for the Mummy movies you should be able to understand how some of us feel about CR.

Finding Neverland did do over $100 million ;) it also didn't cost $200 million to make.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

My mistake, I peeked at the domestics. :lol:

As for Campbell, he has his moments. Zorro 2 and remaking the Birds are certainly not one of his moments. I did have optimism for him because of experience with Bond with GoldenEye. But he isn't the best for the job, remaking The Birds instead of doing Bond 22 says a lot. :lol:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The Birds? As in Hitchcock !!??? :shock: Good god why?

As much as I like GE I couldn't give Campbell my top nod for Bond director. GE had some moments where it just stopped, lingered, then moved on again. CR much the same. The best stuff in CR wasn't directed by Campbell it was the second unit guy, I forget his name... Crap.. Sorry buddy, this was your one big chance at fame and now it's gone. :D
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:The best stuff in CR wasn't directed by Campbell it was the second unit guy, I forget his name... Crap.. Sorry buddy, this was your one big chance at fame and now it's gone. :D
Bruce Moriarty?