Craig's new movie "the Invasion"

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Craig's new movie "the Invasion"

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Craig's new movie the Invasion opens low. #5 BO under the Simpson's movie out for 24 days.

Crappy movie or does it show Dan is not a star yet?
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Movie may not even go to DVD I would bet. Craig is no star;Bond is the star. Kidman and Craig have NO hold on the public.
paco chaos
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by paco chaos »

I would definitely say that in the USA, Daniel Craig is not an A list star. but other than CR, what films has he had that have been big Box Office?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Not to mention Craig isn't even in most of the film, he's only getting second billing because the studios know the film is that bad and will use any kind of marketing gimmick they can get. If Craig was offered the part in this film after signing with Bond, he probably wouldn't have ever accepted it.

And I don't think this is a case of Kidman and Craig not drawing the audience but rather that the film itself looks like crap. I'm a fan of Craig (not to be confused, I am a Bond fan too) yet I'll probably never see this film unless I switch channels and end up on this if there isn't anything else on.

And concerning Bond, can anyone tell me which actor besides Connery drew in audiences for a non-Bond film that made it a success? :P
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Case of a bad movie. Kidman is close to being unmarketable. We rented her last one the interpretor what a waste that was.

They used Craig's name because of Bond but it wasn't a draw in here in the states. Maybe overseas will see a bump. Doubt it, the movie really is bad. :(
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think the reason it isn't doing well, is that there simply isn't the need for another remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The original film and the 1978 remake both get shown on TV regularly, and this version doesn't seem to add anything new.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Box Office Mojo.com

Meanwhile, audiences avoided The Invasion. Originally scheduled for release a year ago, Warner Bros.' reportedly $80 million sci-fi horror emerged with an estimated $6 million at 2,776 sites, a comparable start to the similarly-themed The Astronaut's Wife from August 1999 and The Puppet Masters.

Nicole Kidman in The Invasion
The Invasion is a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers but that branding was minimized. The trailer ends with the words "You won't feel a thing," indicative of how the marketing sapped the thrills and fun from the B-movie premise, which has a mixed past commercially anyway. Adjusted for ticket price inflation, the 1978 version made the equivalent of over $70 million today, but Body Snatchers, barely distributed by Warner Bros. in 1994, equaled less than one percent of that.

"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:I think the reason it isn't doing well, is that there simply isn't the need for another remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The original film and the 1978 remake both get shown on TV regularly, and this version doesn't seem to add anything new.
Precisely. This rendition is the, what 5th Invasion of the Body Snatchers film.

Although I do think there was an attempt to use the James Bond image to save this film.
Personally I want Daniel to have outstanding success outside of 007. That way he will abdicate the throne sooner.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Craig's new flick did worse than I said. When it was all said and done its number 6 behind STARDUST! :lol:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I'm sure an interesting low-budget TV film version could be made with an interesting director.

I'm not sure someone commissioned a bland, high budget remake.
Bring back Bond!
james stock
Lieutenant

Post by james stock »

Not out over here yet but word of mouth and buzz is complete disaster on the cards and another remake of body snatchers! :shock:
paco chaos
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by paco chaos »

does anybody else find it ironic that Craig could end up being typecast as Bond?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

paco chaos wrote:does anybody else find it ironic that Craig could end up being typecast as Bond?
Just what we need, a bored Craig staying in the role for a million years just to pay the bills. Let's hope The Golden Compass is a success worldwide (I can't see a movie based on an avowedly anti-religious novel being a hit in the US, even if they have reportedly toned down those aspects, much to the disgust of the book's fans).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

paco chaos wrote:does anybody else find it ironic that Craig could end up being typecast as Bond?
A real shame if true, because he's far better than the other four (Connery isn't among them). :wink:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Definitely ironic :lol:

The lest like 007, being type cast for movies that are so dissimilar to rest of the franchise they are unidentifiable as "Bond" movies.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

stockslivevan wrote:
A real shame if true, because he's far better than the other four (Connery isn't among them). :wink:
I am sorry. I think you are selling Timothy way too short here.

A besides Connery was already making a good name for himself before 007, not that 007 didn't make him world famous over night. Or was it that he made 007 world famous ;)
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Blowfeld wrote: I am sorry. I think you are selling Timothy way too short here.
Don't get me wrong, I love Dalton. He's third and far seperated from those behind him as far as I am concerned. His Bond just lacked a sense of humor so that's why I have him behind Craig. I would have loved to see him continue the role after LTK. :cry:
Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Gary Seven »

His Bond just lacked a sense of humor so that's why I have him behind Craig.
Craig did not have a sense of humour, IMHO.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Gary Seven wrote:
His Bond just lacked a sense of humor so that's why I have him behind Craig.
Craig did not have a sense of humour, IMHO.
Well I certainly disagree. :wink: