Star Wars: Originals and Prequels

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Star Wars: Originals and Prequels

Post by Jedi007 »

I've seen the OTs first, TESB's my top SW film, but I'm still young when I've seen Episodes 1 to 3, so I have really no problem with the new ones, except both the beginning and the end of this saga has a kiddish feel for me. What do you think of SW?
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I think all of them are purely fun entertainment popcorn films. I never took the films seriously like a lot of nostalgic Star Wars geeks, esspecially the Anti-Prequel Fans. They complain the prequels were too "kiddy" yet the same crap was in the original films (ewoks, jawas, droid comic relief, bad acting), they just filter it out for nostalgia and look at these films as if they are grand epics for serious filmgoers. As Harrison Ford said "Give me a break".

Star Wars - Best of the series; holds well because its the only film you could watch without seeing the rest. 10/10

The Empire Strikes Back - Good sequel, dark and better written. 10/10

Return of the Jedi - Good conclusion to the saga; the special effects are still incredible for today 8/10

The Phantom Menace - A bit too political but has great scenes such as the pod race and ALL the lightsaber duels. 8/10

Attack of the Clones - REALLY bad dialogue in the Anakin/Padme, even for a popcorn film. Has a few gems but is ultimately flawed. 7/10

Revenge of the Sith - Great battles, some better acting, very dark and the ending makes you want to go back to the original and continue the story. ILM really took the f/x up a knotch, it should have gotten an oscar for that category 9/10
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I can't get into the new ones.
Bring back Bond!
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

carl stromberg wrote:I can't get into the new ones.

I got halfway through Attack Of The Clones and couldn't take anymore.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

TESB is my personal favourite closely followed by ANH. The return of the Jedi closed a great trilogy and for me, they are 3 of the greatest films ever made.

The prequels are for a new generation of kids to enjoy. I watched them all and felt they were generally well made. The CGI is overly used and the story a little lame, but it's Star Wars and I just love it.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
paco chaos
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by paco chaos »

I like all of the Star Wars films but some more than others. some of the complaints about the prequels come from people my age who don't seem to realize that we were elmentary school kids when the originals came out, and if they were to have seen originals as adults, they would have dismissed them as childish as well. granted the Phantom Menace is kinda weak, but a great deal of that had to do with the fact that the main character is a little kid, who was not very talented in the acting department.
my rankings of the films:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace
I don't watch Star Wars films for the realism or the relevence to the real world. I watch these films to enjoy a fantasy. escapism at it's best.