New Indiana Jones?

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

New Indiana Jones?

Post by FormerBondFan »

Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: New Indiana Jones?

Post by Blowfeld »

Weird. They need to keep him, Indiana in the 1930-40s.
I can't see Cooper as Indy. Althou the article end with the studios have a date and once they go past they are ready to recast for a new trilogy. Sounds like standard Hollywood speak. In other words we have no new ideas so we will recycle something that was brilliant Turing if in to garbage
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Another pathetic reboot? That's what you get from Disney! Yet another dead franchise surfaced! Thanks to the modern day media. Now, I wonder how good the new movie will make Crystal Skull look like.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I suspect this is a way to tell Harrison Ford to hurry up. Takes me back to Bond in the early '80s, when EON would play the same game with Sir Roger.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Indy began and will end with Ford.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:Indy began and will end with Ford.
If Bond could be recast after Connery left, why not Indy?

FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Indy began and will end with Ford.
If Bond could be recast after Connery left, why not Indy?

Indy is WAAAAAYYYYY too iconic to be recast, and it doesn't need to follow the Bond model. Indy is Indy, not Bond himself. But if you want Indy to be recast, then have the movies set before Temple of Doom but after the Young Indy chronicles just to keep in line with the franchise's continuity.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

They shoulda recast before Chrystal skull not that it matter to that pos. the most annoying thing was Indys son mutt.

Rebooting is dangerous IMO Indy is Ford although I could imagine a younger Nathan Fillion pulling it off. I wouldn't reboot I'd make missing adventures from the games and books with a younger actor. I love fords Indy but even I admit he was getting over the hill and the son spin off sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Blowfeld wrote:Weird. They need to keep him, Indiana in the 1930-40s.
If you want Indy without Ford, have the movies featuring the character in his 20s to early 30s. No need to follow the James Bond model. Better to have prequels than straight-up sequels without Ford.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Of course, Ford will always be the definitive Indy, just as Connery will always be the definitive Bond. But Indy is too good a character to be permanently tied to one actor, unless technology improves to the point where they can adopt James Cameron's idea whereby Harrison is motion captured and he signs a contract allowing his image used in perpetuity. But we're not there yet. There would still be too much "uncanny valley" (think CGI Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy).
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Not to step on too many toes there have been at least 4 actors to play Jones not counting Ford. One in Last Crusaded, 3 in the young Indiana Jones Adventures . The worst was a 90 year old one eye Jones who stop by the gas station to tell the youngins how when he was their age he fought the Kaiser.
I don't remember see the old Jones in the shows on netflix maybe they removed him.

IMO The problem with Jones is George Lucas .Ford and Steven Spielberg would make new movie tomorrow if they had the script. Rebooting I don't think would work not if they wanted to remake the original trilogy.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Rebooting anything is like murdering a franchise. Can't those pathetic youngsters come up with anything new?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

John P. Drake wrote:Rebooting anything is like murdering a franchise. Can't those pathetic youngsters come up with anything new?
I was thinking more of the (pre-Craig) Bond model, where they recast without rebooting. I agree with FBF that Indy works better in a 1930s setting, though. I didn't hate Crystal Skull as much as most people, but Indy in the '50s felt kind of wrong.

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:
John P. Drake wrote:Rebooting anything is like murdering a franchise. Can't those pathetic youngsters come up with anything new?
I was thinking more of the (pre-Craig) Bond model, where they recast without rebooting. I agree with FBF that Indy works better in a 1930s setting, though. I didn't hate Crystal Skull as much as most people, but Indy in the '50s felt kind of wrong.

Well, obviously they're not going to make Bradley Cooper look like 70 years old, are they? It's not a reboot ONLY if they go back the pre-Raiders of Lost Ark era, it might work. But, if they have to ignore the original chronology then it's a murder. I don't hate Crystal Skull THAT much either, but it's more of a guilty pleasure, to be honest. You cannot dislike Cate Blanchett as a Soviet spy in a tight outfit, with rogue persona, now can you? But, Shia LaBeouf was deffo wrong for the role!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

John P. Drake wrote: Well, obviously they're not going to make Bradley Cooper look like 70 years old, are they? It's not a reboot ONLY if they go back the pre-Raiders of Lost Ark era, it might work. But, if they have to ignore the original chronology then it's a murder. I don't hate Crystal Skull THAT much either, but it's more of a guilty pleasure, to be honest. You cannot dislike Cate Blanchett as a Soviet spy in a tight outfit, with rogue persona, now can you? But, Shia LaBeouf was deffo wrong for the role!
There isn't really a whole lot of continuity in the films, though. It's not hard to imagine that Indy had a whole bunch of other adventures round about the time of the first three films.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:
John P. Drake wrote: Well, obviously they're not going to make Bradley Cooper look like 70 years old, are they? It's not a reboot ONLY if they go back the pre-Raiders of Lost Ark era, it might work. But, if they have to ignore the original chronology then it's a murder. I don't hate Crystal Skull THAT much either, but it's more of a guilty pleasure, to be honest. You cannot dislike Cate Blanchett as a Soviet spy in a tight outfit, with rogue persona, now can you? But, Shia LaBeouf was deffo wrong for the role!
There isn't really a whole lot of continuity in the films, though. It's not hard to imagine that Indy had a whole bunch of other adventures round about the time of the first three films.
Can't argue with that. But, who knows?
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote: agree with FBF that Indy works better in a 1930s setting, though.
If you want Indy to set in the 30s again, then have the movies set before Temple of Doom. Having the new movies taking place in-between any of the 4 films without Ford makes no sense. This isn't sci-fi or a superhero/comic book realm where there are multiple universes. Again, this is not Bond which can be modernized. Rebooting or making straight-up sequels or interquels without Ford will not do justice to the franchise. Better to make the 4th Star Wars Trilogy without Hamill, Fisher and Ford than a new straight-up Indy sequel or interquel without Ford, and Star Wars can live on without Luke, Leia and Han as there's always descendants of Luke and Leia to carry on the franchise.
Jamesdude
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Licence to kill,Live and Let Die, OHMSS, View to a Kill,Tommorow Never Dies

Post by Jamesdude »

They could always do what they did in Tron Legacy with Jeff Bridges, all Ford would have to do is provide the voice and face movements for the CGI replica of his 80's era head.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Jamesdude wrote:They could always do what they did in Tron Legacy with Jeff Bridges, all Ford would have to do is provide the voice and face movements for the CGI replica of his 80's era head.
I mentioned that upthread. As I said, the technology would have to improve quite a bit for that to be a viable option. The CGI Bridges looked awful.

FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If not Ford, there's always pre-Temple of Doom prequels where a different actor can play Indy from his 20s, serving as a transition from Sean Patrick Flannery to Ford.