The Matrix Trilogy

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

The Matrix Trilogy

Post by Jedi007 »

I just want to know what do you think of it? Is it really that bad? Cause I guess that people just don't get what it means, and it ended up being hated just because of its very complex plot. For me it was fine, a very strong form of modern poetic literature.
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

"Too complex"? LMAO!!! It was just dull, that's all. :lol: The first film was just fine with the right balance and then the sequels tried to be more than they were and in the end no body really cared about the matrix geek philsophy like the directors believed.

The Matrix - 9/10 (A rip-off of a lot of great sci-fi but d**n interesting and entertaining enough to be given a pass)

The Matrix Reloded - 7/10 (Action sequences are fun, the Neo/Trinity romance is boring, CGI looks worse than in the first despite a giant budget)

The Matrix Revolutions - 3/10 (It's basically just shooting machines and a fight between Neo and Smith, nothing to see here)

Animatrix - 9/10 (Lots of great styles of animation revealing side stories and backround that's both haunting and exhilerating)
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

As a trilogy it's not the greatest, but the Matrix as a stand alone film is excellent.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Skywalker wrote:As a trilogy it's not the greatest, but the Matrix as a stand alone film is excellent.
I agree. To me, the second and third films not only don't add to the original, but actually detract from it.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Too complex?
The Matrix was a comic book come to life, brillaintly transfered to the big screen.
By the second movie they (the producer brothers) were too full of themselves. I mean when you get "philosophers" doing the commentary as an extra for your movies instead of the actors. you've left the boat.

there may be a heaver meaning many people take away, maybe somebody will explain it

The Matrix id give 9/10
Matrix reloaded 3/10
Matrix Revolutions 6/10

Is it just me or did they rip off dune?(among many others)
the end of the second with neo lost was similar to Atreides in a coma with Chani saving him.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:there may be a heaver meaning many people take away, maybe somebody will explain it
As far as I can tell, the meaning is "what if, like, none of this is really real?". Which is a question that any student stoner could think of, and probably has.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

I can remember when I first watched the Matrix. I'd had one too many beers and come the end of the film it suddenly dawned on me that Neo is the 'One'.

The letters N E O hadn't hit me as to it's significance. Whether this was deliberate or an amazing coincidence had me awake for hours that night.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Skywalker wrote:I can remember when I first watched the Matrix. I'd had one too many beers and come the end of the film it suddenly dawned on me that Neo is the 'One'.

The letters N E O hadn't hit me as to it's significance. Whether this was deliberate or an amazing coincidence had me awake for hours that night.

What do you think of the Star Wars prequels? I've seen one and a half of them. Halfway through Attack Of The Clones I honestly couldn't take any more.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

James wrote: What do you think of the Star Wars prequels? I've seen one and a half of them. Halfway through Attack Of The Clones I honestly couldn't take any more.
TPM was and AOTC were steady at best for me. I enjoyed ROTS as it was slightly darker in tone. I think the overuse of CGI ruined the first two films, but I guess the prequels are not for our generation. We had our Star Wars journey, the new ones are for the kids to enjoy the magic of Star Wars..
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Skywalker wrote:
James wrote: What do you think of the Star Wars prequels? I've seen one and a half of them. Halfway through Attack Of The Clones I honestly couldn't take any more.
TPM was and AOTC were steady at best for me. I enjoyed ROTS as it was slightly darker in tone. I think the overuse of CGI ruined the first two films, but I guess the prequels are not for our generation. We had our Star Wars journey, the new ones are for the kids to enjoy the magic of Star Wars..

I hope the new Indiana Jones film is much, much better than the Star Wars prequels.
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

James wrote: I hope the new Indiana Jones film is much, much better than the Star Wars prequels.
Did you know that the Temple of Doom is set before Raiders!

I must admit I enjoy all three, but not to the same degree. I hope the fourth one is at the very least on par with 'The last Crusade'. I can't imagine it will top Raiders.
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Jedi007 »

What if Revolutions wasn't like, as Stocks would have put it, shooting machines, do you think it has a proper ending, Neo making peace with the machines and sacrificing himself?
I hope the new Indiana Jones film is much, much better than the Star Wars prequels

I think the Star Wars prequel falls into the same problem all modern serialized films has. For example Spiderman 3 as well as The Matrix, plot points and issues presented in the first two parts of the film series seems like they were wrapped up immediately just to end it. As for Star Wars, the first two prequels seems they don't mean anything unless you'll to watch all of the films in the series.
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Jedi007 wrote:What if Revolutions wasn't like, as Stocks would have put it, shooting machines, do you think it has a proper ending, Neo making peace with the machines and sacrificing himself?
I think they could have improved the battle with more than just the flying machines coming out of a hole because that was all it was. It could have been more epic, say, different machines snuck in and different groups of soldiers would have to work together to keep their ground. I'm no expert on battle so I'd let someone else come up with some ideas better than Revolutions.

The fight between Neo and Smith was just underwelming. Besides the rain, it just felt like all the other fights we have gone through except more kicks and less emotion. The whole film was just underwelming.

The Matrix was basically a good balance of action and sci-fi like the Terminators were, which is why it was popular. But when the directors tried to make the whole thing turn into some epic trilogy with layers of meaning they lost the point that made the first enjoyable and like what Dr. No said, they became too full of themselves with it.

I think having the second and third film done at the same time all mixed up kind of affected it as well. I would have had them work on the second one completely then move on to the next one. It's better to view what people said of your second film to sort out what worked and what didn't on the third movie.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Kristatos wrote:
Skywalker wrote:As a trilogy it's not the greatest, but the Matrix as a stand alone film is excellent.
I agree. To me, the second and third films not only don't add to the original, but actually detract from it.
Couldn't have said it better myself Kris.
Could've been a good trilogy. Wasn't.
paco chaos
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by paco chaos »

Captain Nash wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Couldn't have said it better myself Kris.
Could've been a good trilogy. Wasn't.
I agree with this as well.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Skywalker wrote:
James wrote: I hope the new Indiana Jones film is much, much better than the Star Wars prequels.
Did you know that the Temple of Doom is set before Raiders!

I must admit I enjoy all three, but not to the same degree. I hope the fourth one is at the very least on par with 'The last Crusade'. I can't imagine it will top Raiders.

Yes, Temple Of Doom is a prequel. The Last Crusade has an excellent mini prequel/origin section at the start with River Phoenix as Indy.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I think it would have been great to have River Phoenix star on the "second trilogy" Lucas and Speilberg came up with that takes place on his earlier adventures.

Sadly, he died and so it turned into a TV show instead.
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

stockslivevan wrote:I think it would have been great to have River Phoenix star on the "second trilogy" Lucas and Speilberg came up with that takes place on his earlier adventures.

Sadly, he died and so it turned into a TV show instead.
A great shame he died early. Would have had a great acting career and I agree that he would have been the perfect Indy replacement as he demonstrated in TLC.