MI Rogue Nation

Percy Jackson 2?

Post by Omega »

http://collider.com/percy-jackson-olymp ... vie/78699/

Fox 2000 Prepping Sequel PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS: THE SEA OF MONSTERS
by Brendan Bettinger Posted:March 1st, 2011 at 7:32 pm

0digg

slice_percy_jackson_olympians_lightning_thief_movie_image_01

Fox 2000 is at work assembling a sequel to last year’s Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief which could start shooting as early as next summer. The studio has signed Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (1408) to adapt the second novel in Rick Riordan’s fantasy series, titled The Sea of Monsters. Lightning Thief director Chris Columbus is not expected to step behind the camera again, but he will remain on board as producer. Logan Lerman will return as Percy Jackson, and 24 Frames suggests the other leads will follow suit. Lerman was supported by Brandon T. Jackson, Alexandra Daddario, Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Steve Coogan, and Rosario Dawson in The Lightning Thief.

Hit the jump for a synopsis for The Sea of Monsters.

the-sea-of-monsters-book-cover

Percy Jackson’s seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get… well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy’s friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family — one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon’s son is an honor or simply a cruel joke. [Amazon]

The Lightning Thief was not spectacularly expensive, but it wasn’t cheap (Box Office Mojo lists a $95 million production budget). Fox turned it into a modest hit: $89 million domestic, $138 million worldwide. Does that merit a sequel? 24 Frames hears the studio is relying on the apparent popularity of the books to sustain interest in the movie adaptations. Wouldn’t be shocked by reports of a reduced budget for The Sea of Monsters.

From a quality standpoint, I thought the first film was awful. But I like the premise of the series, and could jive with a sequel if the execution improves.
Does this mean Pierce will be back?
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Percy Jackson 2?

Post by Kristatos »

Surprised at this - I thought the first one didn't do that well at the box office.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

I never got around to seeing Percy Jackson..I've read the first few books and really enjoyed them. Not sure how they could really do the second book justice.

( The usual joke about "who did they sleep with to get a movie green lighted" applies here.) :mrgreen:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

katied wrote:I never got around to seeing Percy Jackson..I've read the first few books and really enjoyed them. Not sure how they could really do the second book justice.

( The usual joke about "who did they sleep with to get a movie green lighted" applies here.) :mrgreen:
I did see the movie, not a fan. I love the idea of revitalizing Greek myths in a modern setting. The movie I saw was confused rubbish, I was half expecting a Harry Potter like experience. In other words enjoyable rubbish :wink:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
katied

Post by katied »

It was amazing, reading the second book, how much of the Greek mythology stuff I remembered from reading The Odyssey :mrgreen:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Surprised at this - I thought the first one didn't do that well at the box office.
Surprised me too. Unless DVD sales are as good as a Potter I don't think they made any money. The Narnia sequel makes more sense, not by much.
............ :007: