Imagination is dead

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Imagination is dead

Post by Kristatos »

Here are lists of 75 reboots/remakes and 86 sequels currently in the works. Go see Inception if you haven't already done so. Let Hollywood know that WE WANT ORIGINAL MOVIES!
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Re: Imagination is dead

Post by katied »

Most of those, save for Let The Right One In and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are movies that I will NOT see.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Some sequels are good, Dark Knight naming one. The lack of new original movies is a disturbing trend. When a movie like Inception good but overrated to a degree beat out the rehashed competition for 3 weeks it's a good message to everyone involved making movies. I'm glad I added to Inception besting the weekend.
............ :007:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Some of the movies such as Ghostbusters, Highlander and Police Academy sound fine. Others, such as remaking Overboard, are scraping the barrel.

Also, Dudley Moore is Arthur.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Some of the movies such as Ghostbusters, Highlander and Police Academy sound fine. Others, such as remaking Overboard, are scraping the barrel.
Actually, I'd rather see a remake of a film that wasn't much good the first time, in the hope that this time, they'll get it right. The same goes for The Black Hole, a film that had some interesting ideas, but was poorly executed. Maybe, just maybe, the remake will be better.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Some of the movies such as Ghostbusters, Highlander and Police Academy sound fine. Others, such as remaking Overboard, are scraping the barrel.
Actually, I'd rather see a remake of a film that wasn't much good the first time, in the hope that this time, they'll get it right. The same goes for The Black Hole, a film that had some interesting ideas, but was poorly executed. Maybe, just maybe, the remake will be better.
What are your favourite remakes? John Carpenter's The Thing, The Invasion of The Body Snatchers with Mr Spock and The Thomas Crown Affair spring to mind. Although Invasion probably des not count as a remake as it come from a novel.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote: What are your favourite remakes? John Carpenter's The Thing, The Invasion of The Body Snatchers with Mr Spock and The Thomas Crown Affair spring to mind. Although Invasion probably des not count as a remake as it come from a novel.
So did The Thing. I'd say The Fugitive was a good example of a first-rate film based on a rather dull TV series.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Kristatos wrote:Here are lists of 75 reboots/remakes and 86 sequels currently in the works. Go see Inception if you haven't already done so. Let Hollywood know that WE WANT ORIGINAL MOVIES!
The more people who add their voice to this the faster it will happen. It already is the growing public consensus but the studios are too stuck in their mentality to take the first step.
Original scripts are out there by the dozen but the studios are too comfortable/scared to take the risks. Some are going to bomb that's always the risk and the risk ought to be worth it.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

They Live is being remade. :roll:
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

I liked Let Me In..it actually improved upon the original somewhat.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I saw the remake of Karate kid....
Why. Jakie chan is ok I actually watched it because of him, he wasn't as good as Mr Miyagi, Miyagi had a better story. most of story is the same as the original but none of it was as good. Some better action sequences maybe. Why remake this i have to assume it is because they have no ideas in hollywood, maybe MGM and Barbara broccoli aren't so far out of the norm for hollywood.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

A UFO film could be good:

http://io9.com/5280982/ufo-creator-gerr ... vie Remake

We recently reported that super-producer Robert Evans is teaming up with British network ITV to bring the seventies cult classic UFO to the big screen. Gerry Anderson, the show's creator, has now commented on the news with surprising optimism.

In an interview with Den of Geek, Anderson acknowledged he had been contacted by the new film's American producers and that he has high hopes this will lead to him having a role in the film's production:

"I got a call from somebody in America. It was very kind actually - they phoned to say, 'Gerry, listen, there's an announcement going out now [about the new movie] and we didn't want it to come as a shock to you', which was a kind move. As a result of that I had a long chat with them. It wouldn't help me to blow this up bigger than it is, but I have a feeling that I might end up being a consultant on the movie."

This marks something of a change from the last time one of Anderson's shows got the Hollywood treatment. The makers of the utterly disastrous 2004 movie Thunderbirds had initially invited Anderson on as a creative consultant, but let him go days later when they decided they already had enough people on the payroll. Anderson has previously described the Thunderbirds movie as "the biggest load of crap I have ever seen in my life", which sounds about right.

Despite this previous bad experience, Anderson is cautiously optimistic that UFO will be different from the mostly awful Hollywood remakes of classic British shows, Thunderbirds very much included:

"Over here there's a rather unfortunate history about remakes; Thunderbirds the film was a disaster, and The Avengers, and so on. But I hope, and I think I probably believe, that this could be the exception."

The UFO movie is currently still in the development stages. The original series is available on DVD and heartily recommended.

[Den of Geek]

[/quote]
Bring back Bond!