Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Post by Kristatos »

Potter is now the third biggest grossing film of all time worldwide (unadjusted for inflation), beaten only by Avatar and Titanic, and the biggest grossing film of the year worldwide. In the US, it's still beaten by Transformers 3 in the 2011 chart, but it's only $2 million behind, so it should catch up within the next couple of days.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

I think cpt America will do well outside the U.S, He's fighting the NAZIs after all, their always good villains. Red skull looks great in the black Nazi trench coat, A hero is only as Good as the Villain he has to defeat, Please take note Bond producers. Can you Imagine HYDRA, trying to increas water prices in Bolivia. :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Thunderpussy wrote:I think cpt America will do well outside the U.S, He's fighting the NAZIs after all, their always good villains. Red skull looks great in the black Nazi trench coat, A hero is only as Good as the Villain he has to defeat, Please take note Bond producers. Can you Imagine HYDRA, trying to increas water prices in Bolivia. :lol:
But I think seeing the name Captain America sends out a subliminal messages to non-US audiences saying "this is an American story, and doesn't really relate to me", whereas Harry Potter uses universal archetypes. I don't want to overstate my case, obviously people are going to see Cap all over the world, but domestic gross accounts for something like two-thirds of the film's worldwide box office gross, whereas it's around 35% for Potter.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Potter has now overtaken Transformers to nab the #1 spot in the 2011 US Domestic chart. FBF can relax - it is now officially the biggest movie of the year.