"Bourne" franchise come to resemble the James Bond series?

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

"Bourne" franchise come to resemble the James Bond series?

Post by Blowfeld »

Matt Damon Leaves Door Open To 'Bourne' Franchise Return, Greengrass Prepared To Help With Reboot

Posted 3/1/10 3:00 pm ET by Eric Ditzian in News, Video

The overall word coming out over the weekend from the widely attended junket for Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass' "Green Zone" seemed to be that the actor and the director had definitively said goodbye to the "Bourne" franchise. But when MTV News spoke with them, both men signaled that their involvement with the series has not completely ended: Damon held out the chance that he could return to "Bourne" territory and Greengrass is committed to assisting with the creation of a rebooted "Bourne" flick with another actor in the title role.

"We see a very clear way that they could go [with the story] that wouldn't interfere with the series that we have and that might give it a chance to have a life right now and if we come back and did another one, even after that without us," he said.

The "very clear way" seems to involve rebooting the franchise with a new actor, whose character takes on Bourne's literal identity — the name given to a uniquely positioned government operative. Handled with such a storytelling technique, the franchise could then easily welcome Damon — and Greengrass — back into the fold in the future.

Of course, it seems that Greengrass hasn't entirely left the fold at this point. The director has already offered his assistance to Universal in reworking "Bourne." "I just felt I need to go do different things, which is not unusual in franchises," he explained. "Studios understand that and Universal was incredibly understanding when I explained it. I said, 'If there's anything I can do to help, just give me a call.'"

"They're still figuring out what they're doing," Greengrass continued. "But I'm going to continue to make movies for Universal. I'm going to continue to make movies with Matt hopefully. They'll undoubtedly continue to make 'Bourne' movies. So it's all good news."
And this
LONDON - Matt Damon is thinking of quitting the Bourne action franchise and says Russell Crowe or Denzel Washington should step into his shoes if the brand is to continue.

The 39-year-old Damon is in talks to reprise the role of Jason Bourne for the fourth time, but the actor is hesitant to play the part after helmer Paul Greengrass announced his departure from the spy series in 2009.

“If Paul Greengrass does it and we have something to say, definitely,” the Daily Express quoted Damon, as telling the New York Daily News.

But Damon believes his time as Bourne is about to come to an end.

He said: “I think the way to extend the franchise is to create a ‘Bourne identity’ that different actors can take on. I could pass the identity to Russell Crowe or Denzel Washington or Ryan osling.” (ANI)
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: "Bourne" franchise come to resemble the James Bond series?

Post by FormerBondFan »

There is only one Jason Bourne, and that's Matt Damon.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Matt doesn't agree with you FBF. I do see the irony in the franchise that inspired the reboot running out of steam at the same time the 007 reboot gets off track and stuck.

I think Matt is being too flippant and a little to callous towards the mythology started in his own movies. Bond worked because every actor up until recently was supposed to be the same 007, some my argue that every new actor was a reboot but the series stressed that each was supposed to be the same man with the same history. I am not sure Bourne can work replacing the actors like tires at a pit-stop.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Bourne needs to stay at its own merits, not to be like Bond.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Are they suggesting that Bourne follows the "codename Bond" theory where a different person is using a name?
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

Blowfeld wrote:Matt doesn't agree with you FBF. I do see the irony in the franchise that inspired the reboot running out of steam at the same time the 007 reboot gets off track and stuck.

I think Matt is being too flippant and a little to callous towards the mythology started in his own movies. Bond worked because every actor up until recently was supposed to be the same 007, some my argue that every new actor was a reboot but the series stressed that each was supposed to be the same man with the same history. I am not sure Bourne can work replacing the actors like tires at a pit-stop.
Matt Daaaaaamon :lol: also seems to parrot everything Greengrasshole tells him(remember his comments about the Bond franchise?)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote: Matt Daaaaaamon :lol: also seems to parrot everything Greengrasshole tells him(remember his comments about the Bond franchise?)
Well of course he does. The studio makes sure that anyone involved with any franchise movie stays on-message. Unless they're Gemma Arterton.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig