Next 'Spider-Man' film will be a gritty, contemporary reboot

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Next 'Spider-Man' film will be a gritty, contemporary reboot

Post by FormerBondFan »

carl stromberg wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Except that Batman did not survive after Batman & Robin.
OK, perhaps Batman was a bad example, since the reboot was necessary - not only was it a dead franchise, but the reboot undid one of the worst creative decisions of Burton's first film; namely making the Joker, rather than some random mugger, the guy who killed Bruce Wayne's parents, thus reducing Batman's psychological motivation to that of simple personal revenge (and giving him no reason to even exist in the subsequent films). But I still stand by my point that it is possible to recast a major role without rebooting a film series.
It would be interesting to see how successful Bourne film without Damon would be. They will probably reboot Bourne too and have a young David Webb on his first mission. :lol:
I prefer a Bourne prequel than a reboot.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

This is another ruination by Amy Pascal.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:This is another ruination by Amy Pascal.
Who's worse now? Babs The B1tch or Amy The @$$hole.
katied

Post by katied »

They're both pretty bad. :down:
Mr. Big
Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Big »

Is it going to be like Smallville?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mr. Big wrote:Is it going to be like Smallville?
Yeah, it'll be called New York :wink:
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

In spite of it being a) a reboot b) dreadful(probably) and getting bad reviews(basically the same review ever time: "why did they do a reboot?" it'll sell tons of tickets.)
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Heard it was going to be called 'The Amazing Spiderman'. Garfield is meant to be a good actor, so I hope it'll be good.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Looks like a DVD viewing for me. I'm sure Andy will do great, but the reboot is too soon.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

A reboot might seem unnecessary to some but if you followed the comic books you'd have a better understanding of why this is being done. The Raimi films took a lot of liberties with the source material. And that overall, the film misses the essential aspect of Spider-Man -- that for all the good he does, he tends to get all the bad breaks. The film tried to do that with the ending, where Peter doesn't get the girl (actually a pretty good ending, IMO) but the difference there is Peter is making a choice (supposedly a noble sacrifice) not to love MJ, as opposed to things not working out due to his heroic life coming between them through no fault of his own.

For example I notice the accusations of turning him emo in this thread. To be fair...

Spider-Man is basically a teen soap opera mixed with superhero tropes and done well. The Raimi films skimmed a lot of stuff. For example, New Yorkers do NOT like Spider-Man. There's a reason Jameson keeps selling papers that brand him as a criminal. Yet in Raimi's films every New Yorker loves Spider-Man.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote: Spider-Man is basically a teen soap opera mixed with superhero tropes and done well. The Raimi films skimmed a lot of stuff. For example, New Yorkers do NOT like Spider-Man. There's a reason Jameson keeps selling papers that brand him as a criminal. Yet in Raimi's films every New Yorker loves Spider-Man.
I think that was a hangover from 9/11. In the first film, they stuck in that line about "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" as a patriotic morale-booter, and after that, they were stuck with it.

Personally, I still don't see the need for a reboot, and having to sit through Spidey's origin story yet again. They could have recast the role and changed the tone of the franchise without rebooting, as the Bond films did for 40 years.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

I love the spiderman movies, and agree it didn't need a reBoot.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:Personally, I still don't see the need for a reboot, and having to sit through Spidey's origin story yet again. They could have recast the role and changed the tone of the franchise without rebooting, as the Bond films did for 40 years.
I would prefer putting the franchise to rest.
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.

Post by Thunderpussy »

I enjoyed the first two, A bit disappointed with the Third, But thought everthing was ok for a fourth, until the fall out. I also hear the Stage show Musical for Spiderman is turning out to be a bit of a Pig !
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
stockslivevan wrote: Spider-Man is basically a teen soap opera mixed with superhero tropes and done well. The Raimi films skimmed a lot of stuff. For example, New Yorkers do NOT like Spider-Man. There's a reason Jameson keeps selling papers that brand him as a criminal. Yet in Raimi's films every New Yorker loves Spider-Man.
I think that was a hangover from 9/11. In the first film, they stuck in that line about "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" as a patriotic morale-booter, and after that, they were stuck with it.
I can understand that. I think this would have been much more suitable for a movie like Superman. I think that's another problem Raimi had. He used the Reeve Superman films as a reference on how to make Spider-Man but that makes him less Spider-Man and more generic superhero.
Personally, I still don't see the need for a reboot, and having to sit through Spidey's origin story yet again. They could have recast the role and changed the tone of the franchise without rebooting, as the Bond films did for 40 years.
Yet there would still be a lot of things they'd have to retcon from the first three if they wanted to tell Spider-Man's story as shown in the comic books. Plus Peter's origin story doesn't have to be the same as in Raimi's.

For example in Raimi's film Peter let's a criminal escape (the one who eventually kills his uncle) with the money as his way of getting back at the person who earlier ripped him off, so he has his moment of vengeful satisfaction. However in the original comic Peter is depicted as a total jerk as a result of his new super powers skyrocketing his ego, who is completely apathetic enough to not help catch the robber because he's that self-absorbed, even telling off the cops when they ask why he didn't stop them. I find this dynamic much more interesting and is part of the real core of Spider-Man. It's his apathy that got his uncle killed and this is what really drives him as Spider-Man. That makes the phrase "with great power comes great responsibility" even more stronger. A much more biting dynamic.

I'm hoping this what they are intending with the reboot. Sure it may seem too soon after three films and 10 years after the first Raimi flick but if they want to stick to the source material that much they have to start from scratch. They can't really just change the cast like they would with Bond, that's a whole different story. Bond was able to change actors and tone because most of the stories are pretty much self contained that have little to do with eachother aside from a few brief references to Tracy. That's not how it works with Spider-Man. As I brought up, it's a lot more like a teen soap opera where the story is continuing rather than just being a new adventure of Spider-Man fighting some baddie.

I know a lot of Bond fans on this site are bitter about the Bond reboot and in a way makes you guys feel bitter over the concept of a reboot in general. It is unnecessary for some franchises but in the case of Spider-Man I think it's a necessity unless they really wanted to follow up on Raimi's condensed version of Spider-Man.

So far I like the casting. I think Andrew Garfield will make a much better Peter Parker than Maguire. He's fits more of the type of a really likable nerd, if his performance in THE SOCIAL NETWORK is anything to go by. I also hope they give Peter some wit, that was crucially missing in the Raimi films.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Stockssivian wrote
know a lot of Bond fans on this site are bitter about the Bond reboot and in a way makes you guys feel bitter over the concept of a reboot in general. It is unnecessary for some franchises but in the case of Spider-Man I think it's a necessity unless they really wanted to follow up on Raimi's condensed version of Spider-Man.
I remember that you didn't like the Star Trek reboot.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
Stockssivian wrote
know a lot of Bond fans on this site are bitter about the Bond reboot and in a way makes you guys feel bitter over the concept of a reboot in general. It is unnecessary for some franchises but in the case of Spider-Man I think it's a necessity unless they really wanted to follow up on Raimi's condensed version of Spider-Man.
I remember that you didn't like the Star Trek reboot.
Yes. I wasn't very fond of that flick. But it's not because of it being a reboot (technically it tried to be a continuation AND a reboot at the same time). I think either way would have been fine. It's the way they handled it that I was not crazy about.

But when handled well they work. Battlestar Galactica is one of them. Only reboot issue I had with CR was Judi Dench. Should have been a new actor or actress, but I guess Mike and Babs love her too darn much.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Star Trek has grown on me some, not enough to excuse the crucial elements of the original series it lacks, all I can do is hope they get it right with the second film. Not likely with the polished team making the movies they knew what they were aiming for and hit it. Their target was a younger Star War audience not those weaned on the marrow of true Trek.

I think you are right about Judi in CR, one other thing I think they should have done is gone for the feel the service and M's office had in the early films. Pierce's later films Eon went crazy trying to incorporate all manner of flashy computer electronics in Mi6 unfortunately instead of minimizing this aspect they went wild.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Thunderpussy
Agent

Post by Thunderpussy »

Agree with all about Judi Dench, Keeping her for CR was crazy. But I liked the new Star Trek movie and I'm a Fan brought up on the classic show and films. And yes they did go overboard on the computer stuff, I really couldn't follow M's debrief in the hi-tec office in QOS. icons being pushed all over the computer screen table and walls.That was just showing off "Look how yo to date and modern we're being ", I'd much rather have Bond sitting across a desk from M glancing through a File.