Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Post by Blowfeld »

Went to Avatar instead. Maybe over this weekend
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

Went to see Sherlock Holmes Friday night.All 5 of us went and the verdict was about the same from all.So, So, would
give it about a 2 out of 5 stars. Something about it kept it from being really good.I think it was the personality of Holmes himself that didn't sit right with any of us.Overall, I didnt dislike it but I wouldn't watch it again.The movie that completely AWED me we went and saw last night.Avatar!Holy Crap was it amazing.Have never seen anything like it.The story was good, the acting was good, and the world they created was incredible.A must see and definitely in digital 3D.3D was so impressive I do not know if I would want to see in on DVD or on a small TV screen.Just wouldn't be the same.The digital 3D makes it seem as though you are right there in the middle of all the action.2 big thumbs up from everyone, young and old.
katied

Post by katied »

Def. going to see Avatar at some point....I've heard nothing but good reviews from people who have seen it. :up:
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

Go for it.Some say that we know the story from other movies and that is sort of true but the way it is packaged in Avatar is breath taking.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. It's great fun with a memorable villian, a great henchman and great action scenes (i.e like the pre-Craig Bond films). It's a slightly different take on Sherlock Holmes; but there have been so many different takes on Sherlock Holmes.

Downey is different from the usual Holmes look (but he looks more like Holmes than Richard Roxburgh who played Holmes in the Hound of The Baskervilles) but was great in a slightly different interpretation.
Bring back Bond!
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

That Sherlock Holmes film is much more what Bond should be like. Fun.
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

007 wrote:That Sherlock Holmes film is much more what Bond should be like. Fun.
It was fun and more like a classic Bondish adventure.

What I do not understand is the strange shift in directorial style midway throu.
First few fights Holmes is doing a blow by blow in his mind before the fight actually begins, then suddenly it is no longer used.

One part I particularly liked was Holmes in the restaurant closing his eyes to stop the flood of information. Irene Adler worked much to my surprise, and worked so much better than Ms Ava Green's Vesper. The Sherlock - Irene relationship seemed to matter and influence the course of the story, unlike Daniel and Ava's in Royale. The sinister shadowy figure of the Professor, the villain behind the villain, a technique botched in Royale actually worked to very good effect here.

If they do make sequel they need to drop the homosexual take Robert Downey has on the Watson - Holmes relationship.

I look forward to seeing what Steven Moffat does with a modern take on Holmes, I agree with his take (from a Radio interview) on the drug use and his relationship with the opposite sex. However I am not sure Holmes is a character that can be taken out of his late 19th early 20th century setting.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Interesting titbit this is not Jude first experience in Sherlock Holmes, in the 2009 movie he stars as Dr Watson in the Jeremy Brett series he played a young man in one of the mysteries.

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes: Shoscombe Old Place (1991) TV episode .... Joe Barnes