Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Anyone else going to Avatar this weekend?
I am psyched for it!
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Avatar

Post by FormerBondFan »

I just saw Avatar. What can I say? IT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Yet another film in my "want to see it but have no money list". Sigh.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Avatar made 73 million dollars so far! :shock:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

I am afraid I'll be let down but it is on my list this holiday season.

$73 million isn't that a little low? Didn't the LA Times or was it the Wall Street Journal predict Avatar would open in the USA at $200 million dollars?
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:I am afraid I'll be let down but it is on my list this holiday season.

$73 million isn't that a little low? Didn't the LA Times or was it the Wall Street Journal predict Avatar would open in the USA at $200 million dollars?
I don't know, but I doubt it. The biggest US opening weekend of all time was The Dark Knight at $158 million, so $200 million seems an unrealistically high target to set.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:I am afraid I'll be let down but it is on my list this holiday season.

I don't know, but I doubt it. The biggest US opening weekend of all time was The Dark Knight at $158 million, so $200 million seems an unrealistically high target to set.
You are right
My mistake. When I found it again they meant $200 million across the globe. Which I think it did. The weather might have kept some people from going.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocom ... ekend.html
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Avatar Opens to Big Returns, But Staying Power is the Key

Posted by Neil Miller (neil@filmschoolrejects.com) on December 21, 2009

This past weekend, James Cameron’s Avatar opened big — not Twilight big, but big nonetheless. And just like Cameron’s last film Titanic, experts predict that it will have staying power, adding quite a few dollars (and maybe a decimal place) to the $232 million that it brought in worldwide in its first three days.

Lets explore…

It’s All About Stamina

If we hearken back to 1997 — the third weekend of December to be exact — we will note that Titanic opened to a simmering $28 million, barely beating out the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies ($25 million) for the weekend win. It went on however, to play in theaters for 41 weeks, adding $572 million dollars in domestic take and becoming the highest grossing film of all-time (unadjusted), a title it still holds today (despite a good run from The Dark Knight).

The question now becomes whether Avatar will do the same. According to The LA Times, the word of mouth is strong, so strong that folks at Fox are predicting that the film could reach $200 million domestically before the turn of the year. According to CinemaScore — a company that performs audience exit polls to gauge word-of-mouth and repeat viewing potential — every demographic gave Avatar an average grade of A, meaning those who didn’t turn out for opening weekend will certainly be getting recommendations from the folks who generated the first $73 million this past weekend.

The 3D and IMAX Phenom

One of the other most encouraging things about Avatar’s opening weekend is how well it performed in 3D and IMAX locations. Its 3D theaters — just over half of its total theater count — brought in a whopping $52 million, or 71% of its total domestic gross. Audiences are also buzzing about 3D, as it is the main draw of the film, as cited by the CinemaScore survey as well as critical consensus (Avatar is at 83% on RottenTomatoes) that says that the film, above all else, is a great technical achievement. The box office numbers suggest that 3D is finally taking off, as expected.

This morning, the IMAX corporation reported record returns on Avatar as well, saying that it took in the largest domestic opening weekend of all-time at $9.5 million. Their press release also said that many IMAX theaters are adding additional shows to meet demand, which is encouraging going into Christmas weekend.

Can Avatar Hit the $1 Billion Mark?

Absolutely, without a doubt. 34k votes on IMDb have the film at an 8.9 out of 10. Critics on MetaCritic have it at 83/100. The movie is good enough, there’s no subjectivity too it anymore. Good enough to gain acclaim, good enough to dazzle audiences, and easily compared to what Titanic was to 1997 — grand scale, demographic-spanning story and buzzworthy technical achievement. That movie made $1.8 billion in 41 weeks. Since then, only three films — Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest and The Dark Knight — have crossed the $1 billion milestone. It will take all of those 41 or so weeks that Titanic took, but Avatar can certainly get there. In the end, it will be up to how far word-of-mouth carries the film. And in this writer’s opinion, it will hinge on next weekend’s take, both domestically and around the world. If Avatar makes it big on Christmas weekend (even if it doesn’t beat Sherlock Holmes), it will be on its way to a billion.

So at this point, we’ll check back in on this discussion on December 28th.

Read more at Film School Rejects: Avatar Opens to Big Returns, But Staying Power is the Key - Film School Rejects http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/a ... z0aNt15agm
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The question is will Sherlock Holmes take the top spot this weekend or be beaten by Avatar.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:The question is will Sherlock Holmes take the top spot this weekend or be beaten by Avatar.
I'm not normally a betting man, but my money would be on Avatar, if I had any money.
katied

Post by katied »

Sherlock Holmes looks good, and probably will make tons of money, but I'd say Avatar too.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

It seems that Avatar has beaten Detective Holmes for the top spot. The question is will it gain the success Titanic had?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:It seems that Avatar has beaten Sherlock for the top spot.
By a pretty sizeable margin too, according to the estimates (though it's always advisable to wait until the actuals come in). If it's any consolation, Sherlock did come in at number 2 in the chart for weekend openings not at number 1, beaten only by The Day After Tomorrow.

As for whether it will have Titanic's legs, we'll have to wait a while to find out. Titanic was in cinemas for over 6 months, IIRC.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:It seems that Avatar has beaten Sherlock for the top spot.
By a pretty sizeable margin too, according to the estimates (though it's always advisable to wait until the actuals come in). If it's any consolation, Sherlock did come in at number 2 in the chart for weekend openings not at number 1, beaten only by The Day After Tomorrow.

As for whether it will have Titanic's legs, we'll have to wait a while to find out. Titanic was in cinemas for over 6 months, IIRC.
Titanic ruled the top spot at the US box office for 15 weeks.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:Titanic ruled the top spot at the US box office for 15 weeks.
There's one good omen, based on the weekend estimates. Avatar's 2nd weekend drop was a mere 2.6%. Titanic dropped over 28% in its 2nd weekend.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Titanic ruled the top spot at the US box office for 15 weeks.
There's one good omen, based on the weekend estimates. Avatar's 2nd weekend drop was a mere 2.6%. Titanic dropped over 28% in its 2nd weekend.
I hope Avatar will sell more tickets this weekend.
katied

Post by katied »

Titanic was in the movie theaters for 6 months?I believe that(as a side note:I have never seen Titanic.) I wouldn't be surprised to see Avatar stay in the theaters for a while, and then a fairly quick DVD release once it's out of theaters.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Avatar is much better than Titanic.
katied

Post by katied »

One of my friends saw Avatar and said it's a must see. :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Kristatos wrote: There's one good omen, based on the weekend estimates. Avatar's 2nd weekend drop was a mere 2.6%. Titanic dropped over 28% in its 2nd weekend.
Now that the actuals have come in, the drop is even smaller - less than 2%. It has also sold around 50% more tickets than Titanic had at this point in its run, so even if it doesn't have quite that film's staying power, it could still outgross it.