Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Update: First Predator, Now It's 'Alien' Being Remade

Post by CaptainLewis »

I know I defend (some) remakes, but there are those occasions that cause me to vomit a little in my mouth and then brush my teeth for hours trying to get the taste out. I just got back from spending an hour in the bathroom and no matter how hard I brushed, how much toothpaste I used, or how much mouthwash I swished, the taste just wouldn't go away. Alien is getting the ol' reboot treatment, courtesy of the fine folks at 20th Century Fox. Read on for the skinny.

Update (12:07am, May 28): We just heard from a separate reliable source that Fox is possibly working on an origins story, as opposed to a straight-up remake. Still...

In January we broke the news that Robert Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios would be producing a reboot of Predator for 20th Century Fox. Our regular tipster was proven correct once again as the story was confirmed in April. Our tipster even scooped us on who would be penning the remake, now titled Predators.

So Mr. Anonymous is back again. And being that 20th Century Fox is remaking Predator, it doesn't surprise me at all that Fox is also going back to their catalog for a reboot of Ridley Scott's Alien.

What our tipster informed us is that - opposite the Predator situation - the plan is to stick with the original concept of only one alien on the ship.

Michael Costigan, Ridley Scott and even Tony Scott are all on board to produce and have tapped Carl Rinsch to get beyond the camera and bring a new Ripley to the big screen.

Who is Carl Rinsch? I'm being told he's a commercial/music video director and does work for Scott Free Productions, who is also producing the remake.

In the original, the terror begins when the crew of a spaceship investigates a transmission from a desolate planet, and discovers a life form that is perfectly evolved to annihilate mankind. One by one, each crew member is slain until only Ripley is left, leading to an explosive conclusion that sets the stage for its stunning sequel, Aliens (my favorite film of all-time).

We'll keep you posted on any updates, but that's what we got for you this evening. Remember to take it as rumor until confirmed as many projects change through the course of development.

It's now more clear than ever that re-boots are evil. How can thy remake a masterpiece? I hate Hollywood! :cuss:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Update: First Predator, Now It's 'Alien' Being Remade

Post by FormerBondFan »

Hollywood is running out of ideas these days.
katied

Post by katied »

FormerBondFan wrote:Hollywood is running out of ideas these days.
I know, right!

Nothing will be as good as the original Alien(my older brother saw it when he was 16 and it scared.him.silly. 8) )
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Coming soon: Zac Efron in Bladerunners.

I know, I shouldn't even joke about something like that.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Kristatos wrote:Coming soon: Zac Efron in Bladerunners.

I know, I shouldn't even joke about something like that.

Too bad we don't have a puking smiley.It'd be perfect right about now ! :lol: As for the Alien remake..it's bad enough that they made Alien Vs. Predator and AVP: Requiem. Now we get a Alien reboot.Thanks, but I'll pass.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If you want to remake something, foreign films are the best bet but not always.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:If you want to remake something, foreign films are the best bet but not always.
I think the only films worth remaking are films that had some interesting ideas, but weren't as good as they should have been. Trouble is, people want to remake films that already have "brand recognition", and that means classics. Occasionally I will catch an obscure old B-movie on Turner Classic Movies and think "someone should remake this and do it properly", but why would anybody want to?
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

An origin story would be better as it would be a new Alien film. If they are planning to remake Alien, then I know where they can stick it!
Bring back Bond!
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Alien franchise should be left alone.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

In the last 2 weeks I've heard a lot about remakes. What they hell was teh writes strike about? These guys aren't writing spit, that is the only reaons to go back to old movies and remake them.

I don't think much of the movies in teh last 10 years, a few good ones but nothing to get excited about. Thank god I have my DVDs so now when they remake the hits of teh 1980s and 1990s I can stay home and watch the dvd and be seeing a superior story and a new release at the same time in my living room
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:
In the last 2 weeks I've heard a lot about remakes. What the hell was the writes strike about? These guys aren't writing spit, that is the only reason to go back to old movies and remake them.
Not necessarily. There may be a ton of great unsold original screenplays out there that can't get greenlit because nervous studio execs would rather spend their money on a film with a guaranteed built-in audience.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I see. I don't know how much of it is a built in audience for some of this. Seem to me like writers take teh quick adn easy way, but you are right teh studios are the ones looking for this. Seems they are scared to do anythign real any more. Bond could never have gotten started in Hollywood today
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Ridley Scott confirmed for 'Alien' prequel

Ridley Scott will direct 20th Century Fox's Alien prequel, says Variety.

The veteran filmmaker, who directed the 1979 sci-fi classic, is attached to steer the franchise's latest incarnation from a script by Jon Spaihts.

Commercials director Carl Rinsch had initially been lined up to make the film, but Fox allegedly refused to move forward with the project unless Scott returned to the helm.

Taking place before the events of the first movie, the new Alien will centre on a space vessel that intercepts a distress call, only to discover that the signal comes from an empty ship and is intended to warn them.

Screenwriter Spaihts came to Fox's attention after writing Passengers for Keanu Reeves. The project, which tells of a passenger on a spaceship who is prematurely awoken from a cryogenic sleep, bears similarities to the first Alien.
Website: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a168 ... equel.html

Some good news at last. There is still some hope for it.
katied

Post by katied »

With Ridley Scott involved,there is *some* hope for it.I am not crazy about remakes and/or prequels,but it might not be bad.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

It's a good thing it's not a remake.
katied

Post by katied »

a Alien origin film with Ridley Scott involved might make people forget about AVP: Requiem. :lol:
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Scott: 'Alien' prequel 'a new box of tricks'

Sir Ridley Scott has said that his Alienprequel will be set 30 years before the original.Speaking to Empire, the British filmmaker discussed the planned science fiction movie, which will see him return to the franchise's helm three decades after making the 1979 original."It's a brand new box of tricks," Scott said. "We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It's very difficult to put a year on Alien, but [for example] if Alienwas towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place 30 years prior."He continued: "I never thought I'd look forward to a sequel. But a prequel is kind of interesting. I'm looking forward to doing that."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news ... ricks.html
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

katied wrote:a Alien origin film with Ridley Scott involved might make people forget about AVP: Requiem. :lol:
All I can say is 'Thank God' for Ridley Scott! Hopefully this will mean that those abominations will be purged from existence. I hold deep contempt for the AVP films, how could they butcher something like the Alien franchise!?
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

Looking forward to the Alien prequel.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

katied wrote:a Alien origin film with Ridley Scott involved might make people forget about AVP: Requiem. :lol:
Requiem was a bad teen slasher movie done under the Alien flag. AVP I enjoyed it was unique even if it was wrong for the Alien universe. Then I like Reselection and that is one some fans do not like along with Alien 3.
............ :007: