Angels and Demons

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
katied

Angels and Demons

Post by katied »

Is anyone else seeing this?I'm kind of on the fence-I read The Da Vinci Code but haven't seen the movie. I know it's controversial since it exposes a side of the Catholic church they don't want us to see.However,I'm a very lapsed Catholic and don't care about my salvation, if I see the movie[/sarcasm]
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Angels and Demons

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote: I know it's controversial since it exposes a side of the Catholic church they don't want us to see.
They don't want us to see it because it's bollocks. I'm not a Catholic, and I'll defend any writer's right to make up stuff in a work of fiction, but the problem is idiots who believe that Dan Brown's novels (that's novels - you know, fiction) expose the REAL TRUTH about the Catholic Church ("yeah, dude, the Vatican totally has anti-matter and stuff"). I don't blame them for getting pissed off.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

I'm of the opinion that the Catholic church(and people who claim to speak for it, like Bill Donohue from the Catholic League who looks for anti-Catholicism where there isn't any)get offended far too easy. I myself don't buy into the "it's real" stuff. Like I said,I have a love hate affair with my faith. :wink:. The ads make Angels and Demons look cr*ap and rather convoluted.

Not only that, Stellan Skarsgard said that the book is a bit naff, but when he read the script he wanted to do it(I have a feeling they took *huge* liberties with the plot of the book if that's the case.)
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I read both Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code, and out of those two, I prefer Angels.
katied

Post by katied »

I read a review that said that the movie is fairly faithful to the book. I think I'll see Star Trek(again) before I see Angels and Demons,though.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Angels and Demons opens with an estimated $48Million which will probably drop in the actual. A substantial drop off compared to the first movie. This is another movie with free tickets flooding the market.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

This is another movie with free tickets flooding the market.
That's never a good sign. :oops:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

We are going to Angel and Demons next weekend and probably Star Terk. A late Mothers day outing for us. Grandparents will be entertaining the kids for the weekend :d
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
katied wrote: I know it's controversial since it exposes a side of the Catholic church they don't want us to see.
They don't want us to see it because it's bollocks. I'm not a Catholic, and I'll defend any writer's right to make up stuff in a work of fiction, but the problem is idiots who believe that Dan Brown's novels (that's novels - you know, fiction) expose the REAL TRUTH about the Catholic Church ("yeah, dude, the Vatican totally has anti-matter and stuff"). I don't blame them for getting pissed off.
All of Browns the historical facts are way, way wrong. I read The Code and though it was a fun read and a decent movie but the self serving claims of teh author are too much for some.
Nothing that he claims is a fact that he bases his stories on is in fact a fact. Good fiction but not historical facts.
Not any more than any other templar fueld adventure looking for the real grail.

I did think it was stupid for the Catholic church to ban the mvoei (the code) filming is certain areas.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:I did think it was stupid for the Catholic church to ban the mvoei (the code) filming is certain areas.
Yes, but they haven't really protested much about the finished movie. I think they finally figured out that yelling "down with this sort of thing" at The Da Vinci Code only served to give it a whole bunch of undeserved free publicity.
katied

Post by katied »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote:I did think it was stupid for the Catholic church to ban the mvoei (the code) filming is certain areas.
Yes, but they haven't really protested much about the finished movie. I think they finally figured out that yelling "down with this sort of thing" at The Da Vinci Code only served to give it a whole bunch of undeserved free publicity.
Same with the Golden Compass..they did something similar with that and it was only the religious that cared about the content.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
I thought it would have bene good to allow the filming just to get these marvelous buildings and art on teh big screen. Expose people to a part of history they surly don't know about. And there would have been a lot of visitors flooding in to see the real thing and the the church could have debunked of explained some things.

I don't think they could have been seen as endorsing the movie or the concepts by allowing filming.

As for them screaming about boycotting I don't think it works adn i gather they don't either. but i think it was more sensationalized by the pres to get a story than anything else.
katied

Post by katied »

Boycotting movies like Angels and Demons and Golden Compass doesn't hurt the movies,if anything it helps-makes people *want* to see the movie :P

(as an aside:My parents leave for a trip to Italy in a few days' time and one of the places they are visiting?The Vatican. 8) )
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

It looks better than The DaVinci Code, which I haven't seen it yet.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

A&D dropped to 46M for the weekend
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote: I thought it would have been good to allow the filming just to get these marvelous buildings and art on the big screen. Expose people to a part of history they surly don't know about. And there would have been a lot of visitors flooding in to see the real thing and the the church could have debunked of explained some things.
Apparently Ron Howard wasn't telling the whole truth. The Vatican doesn't allow filming around the ancient monuments for the same reason that FYEO wasn't allowed to film near the Acropolis - a film crew would severely disrupt an archaeologically sensitive site. A&D was far from the first film to be refused permission, but it's good publicity to portray yourself as "the film the Vatican tried to stop".
katied

Post by katied »

Mazer Rackham wrote:A&D dropped to 46M for the weekend
Terminator Salvation is going to be competiton for Star Trek and Angels and Demons.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote: I thought it would have been good to allow the filming just to get these marvelous buildings and art on the big screen. Expose people to a part of history they surly don't know about. And there would have been a lot of visitors flooding in to see the real thing and the the church could have debunked of explained some things.
Apparently Ron Howard wasn't telling the whole truth. The Vatican doesn't allow filming around the ancient monuments for the same reason that FYEO wasn't allowed to film near the Acropolis - a film crew would severely disrupt an archaeologically sensitive site. A&D was far from the first film to be refused permission, but it's good publicity to portray yourself as "the film the Vatican tried to stop".
Thats true. Bad enough when I film crew is at somebody's house. Its almost never left right. I can see wanting to protect those irreplaceable treasures.

I didn't know the Vatican took that same stance against them filming for Angels and Demons. All I knew about was their stance about the Da Vinci Code. It does sound like Opie is playing ti up.
katied

Post by katied »

So I saw Angels and Demons yesterday. Bad.That's my one-word movie review. :lol: