Superman Reboot To Have Darker Tone

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Re: Superman Reboot To Have Darker Tone

Post by stockslivevan »

And Lana is such a nice girl too. No matter how many times you save her ass from a bunch of freaks who were about to kill her, she still berates you for "secrets and lies" despite that she's hiding her own secrets and lies too. Meanwhile there's a cute girl name Chloe who absolutely digs you, never gives you crap, and remains like a true loyal friend even when things get ugly because that's what friends are for, right Clark? ...Clark?

Oh my bad. He just spied on Lana's window and saw her and the high school football star doing the deed. Better leave him be, I'll have Chloe for myself. :twisted:

Hey Chloe, how are those things- I mean how are things?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:Oh my bad. He just spied on Lana's window and saw her and the high school football star doing the deed. Better leave him be,
Wait a minute, why is he using a telescope when he has supervision, or whatever it's called?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:Oh my bad. He just spied on Lana's window and saw her and the high school football star doing the deed. Better leave him be,
Wait a minute, why is he using a telescope when he has supervision, or whatever it's called?
Telescope vision is another inconsistency in the show. When he uses his X-Ray vision viewers get to see from his perspective and sometimes you see a zoom in effect which strongly suggests he has telescope vision, yet not one time has the show ever acknowledged this.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:And Lana is such a nice girl too. No matter how many times you save her ass from a bunch of freaks who were about to kill her, she still berates you for "secrets and lies" despite that she's hiding her own secrets and lies too. Meanwhile there's a cute girl name Chloe who absolutely digs you, never gives you crap, and remains like a true loyal friend even when things get ugly because that's what friends are for, right Clark? ...Clark?

Oh my bad. He just spied on Lana's window and saw her and the high school football star doing the deed. Better leave him be, I'll have Chloe for myself. :twisted:

Hey Chloe, how are those things- I mean how are things?
God I love Chloe, um, because she, uh, reminds me of Mrs No :D whew! d**n that was close. ;)
No I like the actress and love the character. surprisingly she is actually quite good, I was just thinking of the roles where she plays Chloe possessed, there a little changes you notice if you are a fan. Like the Trip clone episode of Enterprise, if you noticed it he played the clone differently than he played Trip

I was upset to have her die saving Lois. I never could imagine why CLark didn't pay more attention to her, I rate Chloe higher than Lana. And I think Lana was batter off screen and further away form the going ons in Clark's life. She is supposed to be a one time girlfriend not an obsession for 17 years of clarks life.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

A lot of Superman fans remark on how the character Chloe is a lot more like a combination of Lana and Lois. That high school girl with a crush on Clark Kent and the professional reporter. She actually does act more close to Lana and Lois more than the actresses that played those characters while the one who plays Lana is more bitchy and hypocritical then the one who plays Lois is a ditzy college drop out. Most of the problems I find from this show comes from the writing and storylines. There are so many examples of bad writing and one of them is writing off Clark best friend Pete Ross because he "doesn't want to endanger Clark's secret" and that moving away could help. Moving him away to another town does not work in anyway for this show for one good reason: Clark can visit him via superspeed. There is no reason whatsoever that Clark can't visit Pete at his new town. The fact that the writers claimed they had no idea what to with the Pete character tells me that they have no imagination and that's something that is not good enough for writing Superman.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:A lot of Superman fans remark on how the character Chloe is a lot more like a combination of Lana and Lois. That high school girl with a crush on Clark Kent and the professional reporter. She actually does act more close to Lana and Lois more than the actresses that played those characters while the one who plays Lana is more bitchy and hypocritical then the one who plays Lois is a ditzy college drop out. Most of the problems I find from this show comes from the writing and storylines. There are so many examples of bad writing and one of them is writing off Clark best friend Pete Ross because he "doesn't want to endanger Clark's secret" and that moving away could help. Moving him away to another town does not work in anyway for this show for one good reason: Clark can visit him via superspeed. There is no reason whatsoever that Clark can't visit Pete at his new town. The fact that the writers claimed they had no idea what to with the Pete character tells me that they have no imagination and that's something that is not good enough for writing Superman.
Here is how I would have had the story unfold,
Lana is his childhood crush, they get together then move a part, she goes to school or they separate on summer break, dosnt' matter. She is done gone and out of reach, but perfect for a come back role. A touch of puppy love revisited.

Chloe would be a serious GF, the first earth human he loves, a prelude to lois in intelligence and tenacity (not to mention curvy goodness ;) ), the first woman to know his secret and understand him. But she would have to die tragically before he becomes superman. Something about her death would have to drive him, could be something sad, she could give him a purpose in this world, some kind of task she sets for him thus making him take up the mantel of hero.

I don't get lois as a ditsy college drop out. My impression of her was sshe was always hard working and probably a bit dull in college. Worked hard to graduate and then to prove herself as a ace reporter she is when clark first meets her.

I always thought Pete Ross was a token black friend for Clark. Link the token Latino immigrants clark ties to help then chews his mother out be cause he by definition is and illegal alien.

I don't think they coudl intelligently write for ROss, or for other people knowing clarks secret, Lionel Luthor knows but is/was controlled, everyone else finds out then forgets before teh sun rises.
They flirted with Chloe knowing for along time before finally committing to it. I liek the show where clark lost his powers and Chloe has to hlep him break in to a luthor facility, she asks him if whining is one of his super powers :lol:

true teh writers do seem to forget about what powers Clark has.with Superspeed he could visit anyone anywhere.

Best thing about Smallville (any season) is the car crashes. Trucks flipping, explosions, cars crunched to dust. Always look first rate.
I guess that is where the money goes that they would have spent on writing :roll: :lol:
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote: I like the show where clark lost his powers and Chloe has to hlep him break in to a luthor facility, she asks him if whining is one of his super powers :lol:
That was a good episode, I think it's also the first to have freaks with powers no powers, and they were kinda good. The albino twins were freaky. One has a nail jammed in his hand and takes it out while the other experiences the pain, and they finish eachother's sentences "that" "hurt!" I kinda wished they kept Clark without his powers for more than just two episodes, it was a neat concept with him having to rely on his powers.

Heh, I wonder if the title thread should change into the Smallville thread. :P I was intending to give season 8 opener a shot, despite not seeing 85% of last season, just to see if there was any sorta improvement with the former show runners no longer being a part of it. Instead I forgot of it all.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Why they didn't finish Smallville and then make a Superman film with Tom Welling? I liked Brandon Routh a lot though.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

James wrote:Why they didn't finish Smallville and then make a Superman film with Tom Welling? I liked Brandon Routh a lot though.
Welling doesn't want to be Superman. He turned down the role three times for Smallville before being told he didn't have to wear tights. However, there's a group of fanboys of Smallville that keep believing Welling will take the role to the point that they hope enough money by a studio will make him sell out, no matter what feelings he has for comics and Superman. :roll:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I wish Brandon played Superman in Smallville but no offense to Welling though.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:
James wrote:Why they didn't finish Smallville and then make a Superman film with Tom Welling? I liked Brandon Routh a lot though.
Welling doesn't want to be Superman. He turned down the role three times for Smallville before being told he didn't have to wear tights. However, there's a group of fanboys of Smallville that keep believing Welling will take the role to the point that they hope enough money by a studio will make him sell out, no matter what feelings he has for comics and Superman. :roll:
I was a littel surprised they kept the smallville series going while making superman returns. Looking back it was smart not to knocka good thing after SR tanked. If they ahd stoped the show because of SR it would have been a big mistake.

I like Welling as young Clark because he looks a little like Christopher reeve. I had similar hopes he would play superman on the big screen, but I think he has it right. He is a good a Clark, superman is costumed wearing hero that (on smallville) clark has a hard time imaging himself becoming or being comfortable with.
If one day when the show is done he might want chance to prove himself on the big screen. I think right now if he had to chose between the tv show or movie (or doing both) he has made the right one. because he is comfortable with Clark and who clark was before he became superman.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:I wish Brandon played Superman in Smallville but no offense to Welling though.
No offence to brandon, but tom welling is a better Clark.

Brando didn't bing much to SR, he looked rigth and acted right and with a better story would be very good. I don't think he showed us as much as Christopher Reeve did in superman the movie, Young Clark getting stronger and faster and leavingthe farm.

wait a minute.. You made 00! :mrgreen:
And I missed it, was there a party, cake maybe even? :up: :cheers:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:I wish Brandon played Superman in Smallville but no offense to Welling though.

Brando didn't bing much to SR, he looked rigth and acted right and with a better story would be very good. I don't think he showed us as much as Christopher Reeve did in superman the movie, Young Clark getting stronger and faster and leavingthe farm.
It would have been nice if Warner Bros. saved the 5th Superman movie (with Welling as Superman) until Smallville is finished.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Dr. No wrote:

It would have been nice if Warner Bros. saved the 5th Superman movie (with Welling as Superman) until Smallville is finished.
They could of but I think they saw the tiem as right for Sr when they made it. Too bad the director and story were nto up to it.

Thank god they didn't cancel smallville or end it early because of restarting teh Superman movie business
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If Superman is to be rebooted for second time, would prefer Welling to do the job?
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:If Superman is to be rebooted for second time, would prefer Welling to do the job?
depends how far back they are taking it. Clark just coming to the big city, or Clark as a young man releasing he is different.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I hope Warner Bros. do the reboot right the way did with Batman Begins.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:I hope Warner Bros. do the reboot right the way did with Batman Begins.
That could be interesting. That is why smallville is so interesting, we know who clark will become and know who will be is villains so it is fun to see them for the first time.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

When I read that Warner Bros. are going to make the 5th Superman movie, I thought they would do the same fashion as Batman Begins, but instead they make the movie to continue where Superman 2 left off.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

That would actually be a sixth movie. Superman Returns was the fifth.