Superman Reboot To Have Darker Tone

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
Harvey Wallbanger
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Superman Reboot To Have Darker Tone

Post by Harvey Wallbanger »

wasn't he talking about returns?>
Make them serious nudes!

I fear no evil because I walk with evil.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Harvey Wallbanger wrote:wasn't he talking about returns?>
Bleh, I read his post wrong. :oops:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

My understanding is that Smallville is sort of an alternative mythology for Superman, with completely different continuity from both the comics and the movies. Is that correct?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

The real problem Warner Bros. have is, the original Superman The Movie is just so perfect in the first place, that all subsequent films will fail in its shadow because of it (a bit like the new Star Wars films by Lucas). Batman was a lot easier to reboot because Tim Burton's original wasnt that great to start with.

Let's face it, there really only ever will be one Superman....

stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:My understanding is that Smallville is sort of an alternative mythology for Superman, with completely different continuity from both the comics and the movies. Is that correct?
Yes, but it wasn't ever something claimed by the producers of the show. They kept harping up the "Clark Kent will reach his destiny" and a lot of foreshadowing moments, but then there's so many things hampered. So will Lois Lane know Clark is Superman right from the get go? Okay, fine. But then there's stupid stuff, for example I caught last Thursday's episode and a bus in Metropolis has an explosion at the side right outside the Daily Planet. The first thing Clark Kent does is walk straight into it and rip open an hole for people to get out, all right in front of hundreds of people. He doesn't show any concern if people are watching and such, he just does it, all right in front of The Daily Planet for everyone to watch.

Now I will find it hard to believe that this guy will become Superman without everyone already knowing who he is. The only possible way for Clark Kent to become Superman but keep his identity a secret is either wearing a mask or worse have everyone's memory erased.

If the producers could step up and say "yes, we are making our own continuity, we are not following the comics" then that would be relieving, but for some reason they don't.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I assumed from the first show they had thrown the comic timeline out the door. Lex Luthor as childhood friend?

Clark has blown any chanse at keeping a secret identity . unless the mIB loan him the flashything.

It will not be hard for any reporter or goverment agent to track him down. Hell with satellites they can track him going home to moms adn then to the north poll.

I am curious how they will finally end the show.

Stocks you say you didn't see last season, do you mean the most recent just out on dvd or the previous one with CHloe dieing?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I only saw the first three episodes of season seven, but I recall Chloe coming back to life (I forget how) in a morgue and she escapes with her death certificate, later burning it.

Seeing season eight, I realize that Clark and Chloe are now the only original characters from season one to still be around.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:I only saw the first three episodes of season seven, but I recall Chloe coming back to life (I forget how) in a morgue and she escapes with her death certificate, later burning it.

Seeing season eight, I realize that Clark and Chloe are now the only original characters from season one to still be around.
:shock: :shock: Chloe coming back to life :shock: :shock:
Thank god!!

Las t show I saw was the season where she died.
DId you see the one with Linda Carter played her mother?

What abotu Clark's Mom is she off the show now? I read something about lex leaving, the producers hinted he may come back from time to time.

Whatever happened with the aquaman spin-off? they had one dumb looking jock play Aquaman for the show then cast the guy who was the green arrow on smallville as Aquaman for the spin off.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Michael Rosenbaum did leave the show since his contract expired, I can't blame him though because 7 seasons was probably enough for him. However, from what I've seen on a "previously on smallville" segment at the premiere, Lex and Clark are at the fortress of solitude, something happens and the entire fortress collapses, leaving Clark powerless. In the episode he's working in a Russian factory as a slave after being caught somewhere in the Artic almost dying. As for Lex, that story is left open. According to Clark, Lex already knows about his powers and such, no one knows if he's either dead or alive. It's obvious he's alive, it's just a matter of time before Rosenbaum makes a special appearance I guess.

As for Clark's Mom, since she's a senator, she moved to Washington. Lana, I dunno. The recap segment has her on a video saying "I'm leaving Clark, don't come back for me", but I dunno the whole story on that. I do know that Lex apparently killed Lionel! But I'm not sure of it, all I remember was seeing a pic of Lex standing next to a tombstone.

The Aquaman spin-off, has been dead since it's rejection. The guy is gonna keep playing Green Arrow, in fact he's now listed as a regular character.

Lemme have a few words on season eight... I LIKE IT. :shock: Might have something to do with the original producers no longer running things. There are still stupid moments and some things don't make sense, but the characterizations are an IMPROVEMENT. Lois is no longer some ditz, she's actually a smart person, she's acting like Lois for once! She no longer wear's skimpy clothing, she wears actual clothes. There's some great scene between her and Clark at The Daily Planet, for example it's his first day and he's complaining about a story and Lois tells him "be happy Clark, there was a time when I would have killed to write an obituary" :lol:

There's a new character on the show (Tess Mercer), who's taking Lex's place. Yeah, sounds like a bad idea. But, she's a good character. She comes off strong, determined and there's a certain menace with her presence. In her role she searches for Lex Luthor, tries to look for the clues that lead to his disappearance such as Clark, and is forming a suicide squad with meteor freaks.

Other than that, it's still early in the season, but so far, so good. Some things still don't make sense such as Lois and Clark easily getting jobs, Chloe quitting journalism (what, after 7 seasons you expect us to believe that?!), but despite these gripes, it's the characterizations that are finally moving forward. Clark is finally over Lana (finally!), he's no longer moping in the farm, ect. I already said Lois is acting like Lois. So yeah, not bad. It's too bad the producers didn't get the boot earlier, because Smallville needed this kind of kick way too long ago. Better late than never.

B+
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Writers talk Smallville end

Post by Goldeneye »

MovieHole.com
Is this the last season of "Smallville"? I'd say yes, but only the CW really knows. As far as the show's creative team are concerned, it ain't - they're already planning far ahead of this season.

When it was announced earlier this week that the show's executive producers Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders were now working on a Robin-prequel series called "The Grayson's", also for the CW, many assumed it was being tailored to replace "Smallville". Peterson and Souders tell Kryptonsite that that isn't the case.

Dear Smallville fans,

As news and rumors swirl around the development of The Graysons for the CW, we have every intention of letting you, our fans, be the first to know the reality. Never have we been so committed to the continuing success of Smallville as we are to seasons 8 and 9. While we are extremely excited to be working hand-in-hand with Wonderland, Warner Bros. and the CW to create the origin story of Dick Grayson, it has never been intended as a replacement for Smallville, as is speculated in some media. The cast, crew, writers and producers are all working full-steam ahead on a story-line for Clark that allows for seasons of further trials and adventures for our favorite hero. As always, we all have you to thank for achieving eight years of this amazing show that Al and Miles created, and we're looking far beyond!
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Wait I'm lost. how many season all together counting the current one?

I still haven't seen the most recent season to make it do DVD. This maybe why I'm confused. I need to get the numbers strait so I know what we are talking about.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote:Wait I'm lost. how many season all together counting the current one?

I still haven't seen the most recent season to make it do DVD. This maybe why I'm confused. I need to get the numbers strait so I know what we are talking about.
8 seasons, including the new one. :shock:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:
Dr. No wrote:Wait I'm lost. how many season all together counting the current one?

8 seasons, including the new one. :shock:
Got it. The last season I watched was 6, 7 is new on DVD, 8 is on the air now
Crap that is a lot of shows!
I may need to buy season 7 becasue I have been waiting forever for the DVDs from netflix :(

So season 8 seems to eb back on trakc? Great! :D
Hope they don't end it just as it is getting good again.

Oh, the auquaman spin off I only heard about becasue they were giving away dvds of the pilot last year, never heard of a supergirl series.
The Graysons does not sound interesting to me. never a big fan of robin
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

*sigh* Nope, Smallville is once again being consistent at sucking. First two episodes, good, progressive, finally. Last three? Nothing. :( I hope it doesn't keep up like this, it almost seemed like the show was getting back on its feet. And now Lana is apparently coming back for a few episodes (ARRRGHH!!!).
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:*sigh* Nope, Smallville is once again being consistent at sucking. First two episodes, good, progressive, finally. Last three? Nothing. :( I hope it doesn't keep up like this, it almost seemed like the show was getting back on its feet. And now Lana is apparently coming back for a few episodes (ARRRGHH!!!).
Well the season openers have always tended to be good, 3-4 shows later we'd get a lemon, another, another, then it gets good, then it get a little weaker, then it great up till the end. I think it is becasue they only have 8-12 really good shows that need to be made to tell teh seasons story, the other 10 are filler and some times we get pulp fiction instead of decent writing.