An Early List of 2008 Oscar Contenders

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

An Early List of 2008 Oscar Contenders

Post by FormerBondFan »

By: Brad Brevet | Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Most years I wait until the end of December to begin taking a look at Oscar Contenders, but this year I am going to try and keep up with them as the year goes on as the RopeofSilicon Oscar Contenders section is will be getting a drastic overhaul in the coming weeks.

Instead of the simple structure you see now it will be customized based on picture and will continue to update as we get closer and closer to the big day. Hopefully this will not only keep the site (and myself) up to date on what films to keep an eye on, but I hope it also gives you another reason to look at films that aren't based on comic books and superheroes.

Of course I can't do this all on my own and I don't intend to. Being the scavenger I am I am going to keep a close eye on three award season specific sites that I continue to go back to year after year. Those three sites are InContention.com run by Kris Tapley, Awards Daily from Sasha Stone and her regular contributors and finally The Envelope from the "Los Angeles Times". Links to these three sites will be available once the new Contenders section is up and running, but if you have room in your RSS feeders get them in there and lets hope this award season is as good as it looks like it may be.

Below is a list of several films I have pegged for just about every category there is outside of the more effects driven categories. Animated titles are listed below, but the major focus will be the top-line categories as always, but I will also do my best to keep you in the loop on some of the more technical categories such as cinematography, costumes, etc.

Take a peek at the list (I apologize for not linking them) and stay tuned as there is more to come very soon.

* Australia
* Body of Lies
* Bolt
* Brothers
* The Brothers Bloom
* Burn After Reading
* Changeling
* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
* The Dark Knight
* Defiance
* Doubt
* The Duchess
* The Fall
* Frost/Nixon
* Frozen River
* Gran Torino
* Happy-Go-Lucky
* Horton Hears a Who!
* Igor
* I've Loved You So Long
* Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D
* Kung Fu Panda
* Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
* Mamma Mia!
* Milk
* Miracle at St. Anna
* Nothing But the Truth
* Rachel Getting Married
* Revolutionary Road
* The Road
* The Secret Life of Bees
* Seven Pounds
* The Soloist
* Star Wars: The Clone Wars
* Synecdoche, New York
* The Tale of Despereaux
* Tropic Thunder
* Valkyrie
* Vicky Cristina Barcelona
* The Visitor
* W.
* WALL•E
* Waltz with Bashir
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: An Early List of 2008 Oscar Contenders

Post by Dr. No »

Mamma Mia! will win something musicals always do
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: An Early List of 2008 Oscar Contenders

Post by FormerBondFan »

I'm glad QOS isn't in this list, and it's a pity Indy 4 is not in it.