The Last Movie You Watched

General Movie Discussions & Reviews
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Re: The Last Movie You Watched

Post by John P. Drake »

George Clooney's The American.

Not a bad movie, not that good either. But, it was alright.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

I see that the Arnold (governater)'s last three movies have bombed at the box office. He's not giving up, and has three more or so lined up. I suppose he has a lot of film funds. I suggest the following:
Have the Terminator 'cry in his soup' .... that should re-boot it.
Seriously, get some real good scripts. (Will have to watch the Pierce's latest to see if they gave him a good script). And use those funds to finance some good films, not just the usual Arnie-mussel beach stuff.
Get some acting lessons.

It comes down to the script and acting ability.
Plus charisma. The Pierce has enuff of the latter two traits. What he needs to hit gold is the first. So does Arnold, so does everyone else.

Haven't seen Captain America - the Winter Soldier but the preview looks fine; and the reviews by fans give it a big thumbs up: script, acting, direction. Yes, fine CG but that takes second seat.

I hear that Cap isn't doing a pity party, nor is he being re-booted. He remains Captain America. Plus he's #1 at the box office.
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I was just thinking about Sammo. First time I remember seeing him was martial law his US tv show.
I had also been reading about ip man,

Really want to see those movies now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
............ :007:
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

I think Ip Man was awarded Hong Kong's equivalent of Oscar for Best Picture. I also recall that Sammo started as a stunt man, and he said 'Bruce was the best.' Btw, when I was in Hong Kong in 2004 I became friends with one of the instructors at the accredited Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do school. He was also a documentary filmmaker. Among the gems he shared: he met a lot of the original Lee stuntmen, and they were amazed what he could do. What 'trick' he did was stand legs straight and he could bend all the way down with his fist on the ground with the thumb up and he could put his thumb in his mouth. The stuntmen said they never saw anyone who could do that. Sounds like a strange stunt. Another stunt (from another source) is during filming of Enter the Dragon Lee was put his hand on the cooks' butcher block and dare them to chop down with their cleavers.
Anyway, I'm waiting for Ip Man 2. Also, there are other productions that feature Ip Man with different star; one is called Grandmaster, so I'll have to check it out. :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Noah 6/10. Whilst you've gotta love the fact that $125 million of studio money was spent on such an uncompromisingly bonkers movie, I can hardly say that it was an unqualified success. I'm glad that the studio was willing to bankroll such a risky project, but I have to file it under "interesting failure".

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Noah 6/10. Whilst you've gotta love the fact that $125 million of studio money was spent on such an uncompromisingly bonkers movie, I can hardly say that it was an unqualified success. I'm glad that the studio was willing to bankroll such a risky project, but I have to file it under "interesting failure".

Really.? Was the story that bad? I was thinking it'd be a primitive 2012.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Noah 6/10. Whilst you've gotta love the fact that $125 million of studio money was spent on such an uncompromisingly bonkers movie, I can hardly say that it was an unqualified success. I'm glad that the studio was willing to bankroll such a risky project, but I have to file it under "interesting failure".

Really.? Was the story that bad? I was thinking it'd be a primitive 2012.
It's not that the story was bad (it had good source material, after all, even if it adapted it very loosely). I can't really put my finger on what was wrong with it - I knew going in that it was not a literal adaptation of the biblical story, so it wasn't that I objected to the amount of artistic licence that Darren Aronovsky took. I admired him for the creative risks he took, it's just that I felt a lot of them didn't pay off, and I'm having a hard time articulating why.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

White House Down on DVD. I haven't seen the similarly-themed Olympus Has Fallen, so I don't know how it compares. This was very much un film de Roland Emmerich: dumb as a rock and stiflingly formulaic, but never boring. 4½ out of 10.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

God's Not Dead: a truly terrible movie filled with two-dimensional characters and trite strawman arguments. It felt more like a sermon than a film, made by people who apparently believe that having a MESSAGE exempts them from even the most minimal standards of artistic quality. If I found it shallow and unconvincing, I can't imagine it appealing to anyone who wasn't already a believer.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:God's Not Dead: a truly terrible movie filled with two-dimensional characters and trite strawman arguments. It felt more like a sermon than a film, made by people who apparently believe that having a MESSAGE exempts them from even the most minimal standards of artistic quality. If I found it shallow and unconvincing, I can't imagine it appealing to anyone who wasn't already a believer.

isn't that the book by Hercules wife? I wouldn't expect much from it hope you didn't pay full price to see if.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:isn't that the book by Hercules wife? I wouldn't expect much from it hope you didn't pay full price to see if.
I don't think it's from a book, but Hercules (Kevin Sorbo) was in it. He's actually a better actor than I'd given him credit for, somehow managing to be better than the material he was given to work with.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:isn't that the book by Hercules wife? I wouldn't expect much from it hope you didn't pay full price to see if.
I don't think it's from a book, but Hercules (Kevin Sorbo) was in it. He's actually a better actor than I'd given him credit for, somehow managing to be better than the material he was given to work with.
I think his wife wrote it or a book like it.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Apparently it is from a book, but the author isn't Mrs Sorbo, as far as I can tell.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Apparently it is from a book, but the author isn't Mrs Sorbo, as far as I can tell.
you are probably right his wife wrote a similar themed book that probably what I'm confusing with this

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kevin Sorbet is a great actor.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Incidentally, if the new Godzilla movie gets a sequel, I would love it if they called it Godzilla's Not Dead.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Finally saw Solomon Kane, starring James Purefoy, on TV. Nice to see Purefoy getting to use his native West Country accent for once. The film was pretty good, but a little too unrelentingly grim for my tastes. I think it could have done with a bit more light and shade. Still, 7/10 nonetheless.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The Running Man. It's like an, Arnie parody film!
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I popped along to the cinema to watch the new X-Men film.
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Hobbit the desolation of Smaug on dvd. Enjoyed it over all. What is with Orlando Bloom's face? he looks completely different. Thought it was another actor at first. Is it because I'm not seeing it in 3D
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.