Is Bond a Litterbug?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Is Bond a Litterbug?

Post by acid »

Is the cinematic Bond a litterbug?

A controversial question, yes, but let's think for a minute.
  • At the end of FRWL Bond casually unreels the film into the river.
  • In TMWTGG Bond peels off his fake nipple and disdainfully chucks it into a roadside bush. Still, maybe it was biodegradable! :lol:
  • In FYEO he nonchalantly throws the car keys on the ground after the Lotus blows up.
I think the last example gives a clue as to what is going on here. 007 routinely leaves a trail of destruction as he carries out some parts of his missions. It would be impractical to attempt the cleanup operation himself and would jeopardize the missions and likely blow his cover. He can't be expected to pick up all the little bits of exploded Lotus, so why bother with the keys? I think a lot of moral philosophers would say that argument doesn't work - he shouldn't knowingly add to the waste when he can avoid it.

Of course, the real reason for the cinematic Bond's behaviour is doubtless a desire to portray a carefree, laid back attitude.

I noticed the Bond of the books seems to care for the environment and is disgusted when the Robber uses a bird for target practise in LALD. This is echoed by Moore's "..unless you're a pheasant!" comment to Drax in MR.

Can anyone think of any other examples of Bond actively littering?
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Re: Is Bond a Litterbug?

Post by Barry Niven »

OK, I'll bite. After more rubbish than not flooding the discussion boards as of late, this actually has the potential to be FUN for a change. So yes, he is a litterbug.

In FRWL, there's the scene when Bond subdues Red Grant's contact after The Big Awesome Train Fight (the moustached lackey who forced the Orient Express to stop by "stalling" his pickup truck on the train tracks). After slamming down the truck's open front hood onto both of the man's hands and punching him in the face (OUCH!!), Bond removes the unconscious lackey's compact automatic handgun and just casually tosses it away without removing the magazine or sliding out the single round left in its chamber!

Now not only is that littering, but Our Hero James Bond has shown a blatant and callous disregard of Safe Gun-Disposal towards an unsuspecting civilian public in a foreign country! Suppose a couple of small children come playing around those train tracks the next day? One of them could easily pick up that fully loaded handgun and shoot the other one IN THE FACE. :!: :!: :!:

Of course, Danactive Craggy "Does The Right Thing" later on in QoS when he completely unloads the gun he uses to kill the two (eevil corrupt) cops who just beat-up and shot down his best bud Mathis BEFORE throwing it away, making a BIG show of repeatedly sliding the automatic's rounds out before tossing it (reducing HIM to just a mere litterer). So I guess that makes him morally *superior* than that heartless old dinosaur Connery. In fact, Craggy IS the Politically Correct, Overly Sensitive To the Public's Safety, "new and improved" Jaymz Bahnt-4-Realz, yo!

But actually, that FRWL moment only confirms once again that Sean Connery IS always the COOLesht James Bond ever because he really doesn't give a $#!+. And just to drive that point home once more, just before he pushes that same lackey off the stolen motorboat, Bond nonchalantly asks if he can swim. When the lackey doesn't reply, Bond just says "This isn't your day, is it?" and PUSHES HIM OVERBOARD ANYWAY WITHOUT HEARING HIS ANSWER! Fortunately, the man CAN swim, so now Bond doesn't have to feel guilty for drowning some lowly rent-a-goon (not that he would've cared anyway, since this is Shhhuuper Cool Connery-Bond). Good times... 8)
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Barry, I would like to add to your QOS example. While Craig throws the gun on the ground along with all those bullets he ejected, thus causing a more widespread mess, he did place the corpse of his friend Mathis in the proper receptacle! Ironically though Mathis was the most biodegradable item Craig handled on that street!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Is Bond a Litterbug?

Post by Omega »

Littering I was thinking of TND bond boarding the iron clad USS CNN-FoxNews-New York Time he uses the henchmen as a bullet stop then discarded him into the ocean, actually kills and throws two bodies in the ocean maybe he didn't kill the first guy but we don't see him swim safely away, I assume he died he certainly didn't yell out to his buddies

acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

:lol: Great stuff guys. I forgot about the binning of Mathis! :lol:
I'll update this thread if I spot any more instances of littering!
Last edited by acid on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Does throwing the little Thai boy into the river in TMWTGG count?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
acid
Commander

Post by acid »

Kristatos wrote:Does throwing the little Thai boy into the river in TMWTGG count?
Probably not Kris, but dropping Sandor could do I think, as he becomes an inanimate object. What a helpful chap! :)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Another one from FYEO - the killing of Locque leaves a dead body *and* a flaming car.
acid
Commander

Post by acid »

Yeah! :) And since we're talking about FYEO, what about the ATAC? That was willfully thrown off the cliff to shatter into pieces where no-one could reach it and take it to the proper recycling centre!
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Don't forget the PTS in GF where Bond rips off his seagull snorkel apparatus and tosses it over his shoulder in to the bay! Also a little later after he blows up the heroine factory he takes off his wetsuit and presumably leaves it next to the wall!
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

And in TB, when after he narrowly avoids being grenade-bombed by Largo's men while snooping around beneath the Disco Volante at night, Bond resurfaces on a nearby beach and tosses away his flippers and bright orange-reddish scuba suit before he hitches a lift from that foxy red-haired Italian MILF Fiona Volpe.

This will no doubt burden some overworked, underpaid beach caretaker with the hassle of extra work so the Tourist Trade won't be turned off by such obvious rubbish littering their postcard-perfect image of the Bahamas. But as usual, Connery-Bond iSH too cool to care.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Your kidding that stuff is worth some money ! Some beach comber got lucky that day.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

I think TBD has the most egregious example of littering of the series, that would be the scene where Bond finds the hidden cache of gear belonging to Largo's men. Connery removes his homing beacon pill from a plastic bag and shallows it, then makes a great showing of crumbling up the bag and throwing it on the ground! That was an unapologetic no holds barred straight up example of litter, no excuses, no mitigating circumstances just wad it up and toss it on the ground!
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

TB: Scrambling on the tin roof at Palmyra, Bond loses his PPK. Of course, he can be forgiven this time, but what of the poor sharkeys where the weapon may have splashed down? :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Geez. Way to grind a fun thread to a halt by (NOT comically) Missing The Point: Which is about James Bond DELIBERATELY Being a Litterbug.

*Accidents* like dropping his PPK at Palmyra don't count, since he didn't DECIDE to do that like all of the others. And anyways, your "clever" idea about the weapon harming the poor sharkeys in the pool doesn't hold water because it's a FACT that the gun hit the ground and fired a stray shot by itself. Besides, that side of the roof didn't have the pool; the other side did, which was only filled with sharks after Largo got the (not) "better idea" to let them in through the tunnel hatch after Bond and random-goon both fell in and fought.

By that faulty logic, you might as well harp on the Action-Climax of TLD where Bond cuts the cargo net full of Opium-packed Red Cross bags during his mid-air fight with Necros, which was an act of desperation to get rid of his enemy in the rush to defuse the bomb still ticking-away on the plane. And NOT any deliberate "littering" of drugs all over the Afghanistan desert from hundreds of thousands of feet in the air.

Honestly, I just don't get where you're coming from or going with what you post about anything. All I know is that I don't find it "amusing"; I find it disturbing. And the total lack of other responses to your "clever" post should actually be sending you an important message, and it isn't *support* from a "Silent Majority". Think about that.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Geez, sounds like someone's taking this thread a little too seriously.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

I, for one, lie down corrected :cake:

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
commander0077again
Commander

The rain spattered obliquely, like an unseemly bad joke, on the nondescript building, sitting crab-like over Regents Park. Behind the green baize desk sat a man with grim, damnably clear eyes, smoking a rare black cheroot. He studied the man pacing back and forth, a man rather dreaded by operatives in the British Secret Service, Sir James Molony.

M turned away from the dripping perspex to look squarely at the other man. 'Yes, I'm afraid I agree with you Sir James. Operator Barry Niven seems to be going the route 007 ran awhile back. Some bees in his bonnet about Commander 0077. Says 0077 has lost his touch in the blandishments department, can you believe that.'

'Well, M, I would tend to agree with Niven. Double O Seventy Seven does seem to think rather highly of his double-endendres, his parmesan juvenile so-called quips, not to mention his over-use of the third person, or his expertise in sherries, guns and women.'

M gave a rare laugh. 'Sir James, do I detect a hint of non-objectivity in your assessment?' SIr James grunted. 'No matter. But I've been reading your report. Hm, Niven is requesting to be assigned to Tehran Section, to serve in the Humour Police they have over there, an adjunct to their Dept. ICU. Thinks he may learn a thing or two to put Commander 0077 in his place.'

'That's a thought, M. But remember when you sent 007 to Tanaka? Magic 44, the impossible mission? Maybe Tanaka can do the same wonders with Niven.'

M blew smoke rings which read '0077'. Sir James belched suavely. 'Neat, that!'

M laid his dry palms down on the green baize. The air filled with electricity. He ticked the intercom. 'Moneypenny. Where exactly is Barry Niven?'

Moneypenny's sweet voice rasped through the speaker. 'Niven, sir? As in David?'

'No, just Niven. We know his name, but not his number.'

Sir James hissed. 'Careful, M. You may be catching the 0077 flu, if you take my meaning.'

Moneypenny continued, 'He's in Paris, sir. Sitting on a bench on the Champs.' She signed. 'Oh, Paris ..... wait. 0077 is there, too. With Miss Goldenthigh! Why, the ____!'

'Fine, then, Miss Moneypenny. Relay a flash so Miss Goldenthigh can intercept Niven, soonest.'

Sitting on the bench, Barry Niven was counting bees corpses. 'd**n Commander 0077! Ruined a perfectly good thread. All his fault, as usual. I'll gamble that it was him that played that last nine that beat dear Craig's four, whatever that means! Just like everything else that comes out of his pointy head.' He glanced sourly at the crowd. 'd**n Paris! Why do they have so many French around here? You'd think it was Lafayette all over again, silly twits. Be glad when I get to Tehran, that's where I can really learn the ropes of proper witticisms, instead of the blankey blank Hollywood comedy clubbing of 0077! Likely watches too much Jay Leno, or spending too much time with Leno's classic car collection, the two daft twits! Always talking about magneto whine like it was the baronet's pudding! Whatever that means. Steady, you don't want to lose your train of thought, or you'll wind up like 0077....'

An exotic golden girl appeared, her presence freezing even the nonchalant Frenchmen in her wake. All eyes zeroed in as she sat with a dancer's grace beside the man counting bees corpses. She crossed her legs, golden thighs glittering in the sunlight. She was carrying a slim Hermes case, extracting a plain green folder with a red diagonal stripe at the corner. The man glared at her.

Niven thought. Hmph. Probably one of those low class girls who always fell for the likes of bas***ds like 007 and 0077. d**n handsome juvenile dumbkofs! Hello, I've seen this one around headquarters. Oops, yes, I remember. Tried to use some of my famous witticisms. But seems she only buys the non-literati humour of mopes like 0077. Alright. See if I care about you and your golden thighs, shining discreetly below your, hm, short skirt. He finally spoke, 'Well, what do you want, d**n it?'

'Oh, well excuse me,' Miss Goldenthigh said airly. 'Just posting a flash from M. Here's your orders.' She stared at him for a second, and then her eyes lit up. Suddenly, Niven's mood changed. He was about to tell her a funny story he heard on Serbian radio last night, when he noticed she wasn't looking at her. He turned. Blast! It was Commander 0077, getting out of some green snub-nosed car, was it a Morgan? Hah, probably couldn't afford a Bentley, d**n miser! He waved cheerfully at the golden girl, who got up and ran to him, kissing him like the tart she was.

Niven turned morosely to the folder and opened it. 'Japan? What the ....? All those Japanese! And not a sense of humour in the bunch. Well, I'll show them how to laugh!' He sniffed as the couple climbed into the snub-nosed motorcar and did a racing change, even before thrashing into third gear, definitely a low-class driver. Probably thinks he's Nuvolari, idiot.

He then remembered the Thread. Oh, yes, Octopushy. Bond tosses away his mustache to the sharkeys...... (No, no, you idiot! There were no sharkeys in Octopushy!) :cake:

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Something tells me I'm about to get an angry PM....