A new iconic Bond car?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Seles609
New Recruit

Re: A new iconic Bond car?

Post by Seles609 »

Count_Lippe wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote: In regards to the Aston Martin DB5, I've seen complaints from fans about how it's losing its iconic value due to it being constantly inserted in the recent films, and I also feel the same way. Moore's Bond never drove an Aston, and the Lotus Esprit became an iconic Bond car.
Roger Moore drove an Aston Martin DBS in "The Persuaders!" TV-series, same as the Aston in OHMSS you know. I actually think that car looks cooler than the Aston Martin DB5 from GF.

Also over the years Eon had co-operation with Ford Motor Company, there were product placement even in the early films and the Ford Mustang was featured in both GF and TB paris shuttle. This was a very popular car at the time and it became an iconic 60s car later on. It was also affordable to ordinary people, so the Bond movies didn't only have expensive luxury cars.

Bond himself drove a Ford Mustang Mach 1 in DAF.

In OHMSS Tracy drove a 1969 Mercury Cougar, the Mercury brand was part of Ford Motor Company.

Ford's luxury car, the Lincoln Continental was also in both GF and TB.

that's right, I also find that this car looks cooler than the over!
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Omega wrote: I'd say today's Bond ought to have something like a Bentley continental.
Ah that's what I was going to say! :cheers: Been meaning to reply to this thread for a while. The Bentley would be great because it would hark back to his car in the books and it's an iconic classy and sporty British marque. Another idea, if we wanted to go for something totally stripped down, high performance but less luxurious and also something British that the audience likely wouldn't have heard of, how about a Ginetta? I actually think that would make a fantastic Bond car for a fast, rough, back to basics chase. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginetta_Cars A smattering of minor gadgetry could work with it too though.

I must confess I'm a bit of a petrolhead myself and one of the things I loved about the classic Bond movies were the car stunts. I favour the Moore era particularly because it has some of the best car stunts and done for real. None of this pathetic CG garbage.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

The car chase in The Bourne Identity is great even though it's from a fairly recent film. And with an old Mini Cooper as well, sort of like the car chase with the Citroen 2CV in FYEO.

[video][/video]
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Here is 007 once when he drove a Mini Cooper and it wouldn't start.

[video][/video]
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

My mistake 007 drove an Austin not a Mini Cooper. :oops:

It's a fun scene nevertheless. :lol:
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Count_Lippe wrote:The car chase in The Bourne Identity is great even though it's from a fairly recent film. And with an old Mini Cooper as well, sort of like the car chase with the Citroen 2CV in FYEO.
Agreed. Also, the Mini Coopers in the (original :!: ) Italian Job.
acid
Commander

Post by acid »

Err Count, that's more "R" than 007 :)
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

acid wrote:I must confess I'm a bit of a petrolhead myself and one of the things I loved about the classic Bond movies were the car stunts. I favour the Moore era particularly because it has some of the best car stunts and done for real. None of this pathetic CG garbage.
I'm right there with you Acid, compare any of the Moore era car chases to the ridiculously anemic "Sunday drive" featured in SP, it's night and day!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Bentley launch their most luxurious car ever. But does it come in battleship grey?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

If this is true, it would certainly fit the bill, being futuristic, distinctively designed and British: http://www.greenalchemist.co.uk/blog/40 ... bile-world
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:If this is true, it would certainly fit the bill, being futuristic, distinctively designed and British: http://www.greenalchemist.co.uk/blog/40 ... bile-world
would bond drive it or a villain?
Electric motors are brilliant, been around since the first car only reason gas and Diesel took off is it was easy to refine and portable unlike electricity. Well without some super secrecy Nikolai Tesla free power source.

Interesting documentary called who killed the electric car? On Netflix . It's Interesting until you realize these people are crazy and the people who killed electric cars was the California government imposing a requirement on zero emission cars in such a short time frame. The auto makers had a major pucker factor over being effectively forced in to bankruptcy to make one off electric cars that might not sell in the numbers they would be required to build. Not that gm ford and Chrysler aren't scumbags.

Be cool if the battery barrier is finally broken, that might change the car world, then we'd have to upgrade the power system to cope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007: