POLL: Dalton closest to Fleming's Bond?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan

Was Timothy Dalton the closest to Fleming's Bond?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
I don't know
No votes

Total votes: 6

Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Re: POLL: Dalton closest to Fleming's Bond?

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

Yes. Fleming's Bond was what Dalton brought to the table.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

While I did not enjoy Timothy's Bond originally, having lived throu it, years on after reading the books and debating opinionated mates there is one inescapable answer. YES.
I do believe Timothy was capable of a better job as Bond, Hot Fuzz proved he had the necessary sense of humour. Was it a case of not being allowed to be comfortable with the role so his humour could show?

I could argue Ian helped craft Bond as the movies know him, therefore argue for Sean in many instances, still the more nuanced 007 as Ian Fleming wrote him Dalton is the man to recognize.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

If you have to ask a poll question like this you already know what the answer should be ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

YES, tim is so UNDERRATED. :007:
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

That Dalton's Bond smoked cigarettes was true to Fleming, but there is no scene where he relaxes with a drink the way Fleming's Bond often did, or is there? He only drinks the Martini Kara has prepared for him that contains cloral hydrate?

In Dr No on the other hand there is a scene like this which makes some aspects of that film even more like Fleming.

commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

Dalton in looks was close to Fleming's Bond; my main problem with him is that his Bond had little charisma, the bigger than life quality that Bond should have. In other films Dalton has displayed more. And the first Bond girl he meets, the one on the yacht, did not fit the spectacular vision of the other "Bond girls with one or two scenes" such as Jill Masterson; so even that sequence lowered my expectations of the new Bond. And btw, in retrospect, isn't it strange to see the Taliban as PC good guys...... :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

commander0077again wrote: And btw, in retrospect, isn't it strange to see the Taliban as PC good guys...... :cake:
Yes, Rambo III had the same problem. But hindsight is always 20/20.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

The "bigger than life quality" is something the cinematic Bond had more than Fleming's Bond, so that Dalton had less of this isn't a negative thing in this context.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

They had just come off moores ott bond (maybe not down to Moore himself). Maybe dalton and eon thought they needed to keep him lower key , he still was a great bond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Count_Lippe wrote:The "bigger than life quality" is something the cinematic Bond had more than Fleming's Bond, so that Dalton had less of this isn't a negative thing in this context.
Yes, Fleming's Bond was supposed to be someone who blended in, that's why Fleming gave him the name of an ornithologist rather than a "Fridge Largemeat" type action hero name.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

That's not quite true though, the name James Bond was to be rather anonymous according to Fleming, but Bonds looks etc was not entirely about blending in. As Tatiana says to Bond in the novel FRWL, "you look like a movie star".

Fleming's Bond certainly had good looks, the difference with the cinematic Bond is that Fleming's Bond didn't have this super human confidence and coolness about him that the cinematic Bond had.

And Dalton had less of this coolness in many scenes in his films, that's what sets him apart from Connery and Moore.

I'm surprised you didn't get this straight Kristatos.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

Most agreeable ("He disagreed with something that ate him"). In the books I imagine Bond 'blended in' by being a handsome, dashing fellow ... driving his Bentley helter skelter, passing beautiful girls with pink scarves, a hint of Guerlains, in a white Lancia Flaminia Zagato Spyder. He nearly blows his engine, "But by God, it had been fun!" Just in OHMSS, we see Bond blending in by being very obvious in, Hm, here's a few thousand francs to cover Mlle's over-extending herself! And blending in with his Morlands Specials with Three Gold Rings, plus his equally self effacing-ostentatious eating and drinking. Again, to remain with OHMSS, note how much food and drink 007 consumes in just his brief stint to Royale! God Almighty, he should be Fat James by the time he returned to Regents Park! If I recall, I believe Domino, at first glance, thought to herself: "Handsome Bas***d!" or something to that effect. There were a number of Bond girls who had this first impression. After the dark debut of CR, the next one and all others have a rather non-blending-in 'secret agent.' Note, when he arrives in America in LALD, Bond arrives in high style; and then Felix Leiter, another 'blender-inner' regales James through Harlem (both blending in suavely) and they drive down to Florida in Felix's incredible Studellac. Certainly, the American police said to themselves as they boomed past, "Handsome limey and hawk-faced fellow in a flashy car ... keep your noses up, gents.. these boys look like trouble....probably both spies..." :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Yes,I think Dalton is closest to Fleming's Bond out of them all. Becuase of lack of a better explanation let's just say I got the same feeling when I read the books and when I watched Dalton's movies.