What's Bond opinion on capitalism?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
nanolark
New Recruit

What's Bond opinion on capitalism?

Post by nanolark »

Clearly, he's a' consumer' of luxurious items but are there any quotes that would support this argument?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: What's Bond opinion on capitalism?

Post by Kristatos »

I remember in one of the novels, he expressed some sympathy for the Cuban revolution. But I don't think he was that politically sophisticated. It was probably just the natural tendency to side with the underdog, since he obviously had no great love for communism elsewhere. And as awful as Castro became, the regime he replaced wasn't very nice either.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Aside from the obvious conspicuous consumption I do no know what he opinion was from the books. I'm sure if one read carefully they would be able to define it. To my mind Ian's 007 was a savvy consumer picking the quality goods to placate his taste for the finer things. In the first few novel James drove a rare Bentley, not only that is was a rare Bentley he had modified (he was fast and furious). If 007 was not pro capitalism I'm not sure who we could turn to as a spokes man ;)
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

I think it depends what you mean by capitalism, that Bond liked quality goods and the finer things doesn't necessarily have that much to do with capitalism.

Anyway I don't remember Fleming expressing any thoughts about capitalism as such in his Bond novels.

Also today's capitalism is more about speculation and maximizing profit than ever before, more so than in the 1950s when Fleming wrote his books.