Was literary Bond an upper-class hero?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
nanolark
New Recruit

Was literary Bond an upper-class hero?

Post by nanolark »

Considering his connection with Fleming I'd say upper-class but, if I remember correctly, there is no clear description suggesting his high status in the society, when it comes to his past. On the other hand, films first presented Connery who is said to reflect more of a working-class or even a classless hero. Was he an upper-class, working-class or a classless hero?
Count_Lippe
Agent

Re: Was literary Bond an upper-class hero?

Post by Count_Lippe »

Check out some of the later posts in Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant where we talk about this.

Personally I think Bond was sort of upper middle class rather than upper class.

The first Bond actor had a working class background as you say, but they taught him how to dress and carry himself and so on, but he still had some roughness.

They didn't want Bond to seem like a stereotypical upper class person.
surgcmdr
New Recruit

Post by surgcmdr »

Need and Asian bond chow Yun fat

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

I seem to recall this post, but here goes.... Fleming's Bond was a civil servant; his father was (I recall) an executive in the Vickers arms company, or something; don't know his mother's background, other than she was Swiss. He was probably middle-upper class, but still considered a 'commoner.' He certainly did not care too much about titles; he accepted the CMG with half a heart, it seems. He knew about food, wine, etc. He could eat at Blades or wherever ... to his mind, he didn't think of class. Note when he got married in OHMSS (novel) his bachelor party was with a cab driver where they both got stinking drunk. And the beat-the-dead horse reflection that Fleming was throwing lots of funny darts at the class system: Blofeld's Achilles (hairy) heel was snobbery. Just offer him the bait of a title, and he'll relax his guard! :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!