Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by acid »

dirtybenny wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:47 pm New rant, always enjoy feed back!

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... ings-bond/
Interesting rant, DB. :up:

Only a couple of minor glitches I could see. In the paragraph about Craig just after the photo of Brozza, I think "Flemingesq" should probably have an "e" on the end, like "picturesque".

The other one which made me smile was "On Her Majesties Secret Service" should be "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", unless Bond's taken to serving multiple queens. :lol:

As for the idea of making Bond movies as much more rigid adaptations of Fleming's books, in theory, if it was done very carefully as period pieces complete with the blower Bentley etc., I'd actually find it very interesting. However I don't have much faith that anyone would or could do it carefully enough so we'd just end up with remakes that still aren't really like the books, or as you pointed out, in the case of ones like Dr No, the original was already pretty close to the book so it would be a pretty pointless exercise (read a cash-in) to do that all again.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Thank you Acid, I very much appreciate it and please feel free to correct me whenever you like, no matter how old the material. Strict interpretations could be interesting if done correctly, Amazon's ownership would provide an opportunity to do them in a format like they have been done on audio books or radio plays but in a televised serial form. Not "cannon" to the films but as side projects for those who might be interested.

However as you say if done they'd just be cheap reinvented "homages" with goofy back stories and "dramatic" character reveals that have no connection to the story they're telling, but are supposed to hit the audience because we know who they are (see Brofeld).
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Yes I very much agree that a serial TV show would be the way to go with any strict adaptation of the books. You just couldn't do it justice or get the pace right in a 2 hour movie.

By the way, I really hope you didn't think I was laughing at you, DB. :oops: I just found the idea of Bond serving lots of different queens a bit amusing. I often make mistakes like that myself where I'll type out a word that sounds the same as the one I meant.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Apologies if I've mentioned this before, but the BBC has done a series of full-cast radio adaptations of the Bond novels which are pretty faithful to the source. Not sure about their availability in the rest of the world, though.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
acid
Commander

Post by acid »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:38 pm Apologies if I've mentioned this before, but the BBC has done a series of full-cast radio adaptations of the Bond novels which are pretty faithful to the source. Not sure about their availability in the rest of the world, though.
I feel like you might have Kris but if you did I'd forgotten about them too so it was well worth mentioning, thanks.
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

acid wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:33 am By the way, I really hope you didn't think I was laughing at you, DB. :oops: I just found the idea of Bond serving lots of different queens a bit amusing. I often make mistakes like that myself where I'll type out a word that sounds the same as the one I meant.
No apologies needed Acid! It is rather humorous and in fact quite true now Babz, MGM, Amazon... And again please feel free to correct me any time, I don't need to give the Craigsters any free ammunition with bad punctuation.
Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

Hey DB, I finally joined. I thought you would enjoy this one from the telegraph. https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23469665 ... movie-star

Don't tell Babz.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Jason wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:12 pm Hey DB, I finally joined. I thought you would enjoy this one from the telegraph. https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23469665 ... movie-star

Don't tell Babz.
Glad you made it Jason, I look forward to many a conversation! Just don't forget to keep posting on the main site's articles as well please.

That article (at least what I could see from in front of the pay wall) was spot on, Dan is nothing without Babz' support, as evidenced by the fact he's supposedly worth 150 million bucks and you know that ain't Cowboys and Aliens money!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Jason wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:12 pm Hey DB, I finally joined. I thought you would enjoy this one from the telegraph. https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23469665 ... movie-star

Don't tell Babz.
Helllllllllo Jason :!: Glad to see you have joined the other 'Argonauts' against Cr-egg here :!: I cannot understand the money Hollywood pays this endangered acting species. It is incredible that this foul mouthed lout earns any money acting, let alone over $100 million. Enjoy it here Jason. Set sail with us as Cr-egg's time ends as Bond and a new actor is finally chosen. We can only hope that this time, Broccoli will NOT have the final say on that.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Fresh new rant, let me know your thoughts!

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... edefining/
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

You tell them DB :!: Race and feminism is NOT what people want in any Bond film and left-wing directors that cave to include such issues in a Bond film serve only their minions' needs. It is repulsive to ardent Bond fans. Well done :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

"I guess we’ll see come the end of the month." Only if someone spoilers it, I have no intention of paying money to see this thing. Anyone here willing to take one for the team? Thought not.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:33 pm "I guess we’ll see come the end of the month." Only if someone spoilers it, I have no intention of paying money to see this thing. Anyone here willing to take one for the team? Thought not.
Unfortunately that duty will have to fall upon me, as I'm sure many here and on DCiNB will be looking to me to break it down, which I will as I did for SPECTRE.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:
Kristatos wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:33 pm "I guess we’ll see come the end of the month." Only if someone spoilers it, I have no intention of paying money to see this thing. Anyone here willing to take one for the team? Thought not.
Unfortunately that duty will have to fall upon me, as I'm sure many here and on DCiNB will be looking to me to break it down, which I will as I did for SPECTRE.
I hope you'll at least buy a ticket for a different film at your local multiplex, so that EON don't get your money. Preferably a plucky little indie that could use the help.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

We do rely on you dB . But there is a limit, I’m will not bother with this last film for awhile. One I just don’t care and two I’m not giving them a dime I feel bad about buying the digital UHD collection of bond movie that included Craig’s films.

Which we last watched UHD bond when Connery died. Had to see a few of his movie in remembrance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
derekpayne
Lieutenant

Post by derekpayne »

Good article.

As Alan Partridge said, do Bond right. And if you cant , park it ( but dont kill it) Instead make a new character with their own back story . Maybe do a new film series with a team of lower level agents in the same MI6 bond world..Something new and different .
But Jane Bond is a terrible idea. As is editing the character to suit whatever the PC flavour of the moment is ( vegan, Pansexual, colour, etc).
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

derekpayne wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 pm Good article.

As Alan Partridge said, do Bond right. And if you cant , park it ( but dont kill it) Instead make a new character with their own back story . Maybe do a new film series with a team of lower level agents in the same MI6 bond world..Something new and different .
But Jane Bond is a terrible idea. As is editing the character to suit whatever the PC flavour of the moment is ( vegan, Pansexual, colour, etc).
Thank you my friend!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

One last rant before I an forced to sequester myself in the 3 hour hell that is NTTD.

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... therapist/
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

dirtybenny wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:48 am One last rant before I an forced to sequester myself in the 3 hour hell that is NTTD.

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... therapist/

I've always found it strange how Barbara often implies all Bond films made before 2006 were like Police Academy movies or something and yet doesn't have the self-awareness to deduce that she is essentially dissing her late father with this attitude. I also find it classless how Barbara and MGW constantly big up Daniel Craig as the first earnest type of Bond actor and by doing so completely airbrush Timothy Dalton out of the franchise.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:48 am One last rant before I an forced to sequester myself in the 3 hour hell that is NTTD.
Don't forget to bring a book :mrgreen: