Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Atticus
Lieutenant

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by Atticus »

In one sense, this puff piece from the Guardian doesn't surprise me. They had some kind of endorsement deal for Spectre. In one of those scenes in M's office, there's a close-up shot of the newspaper featuring the Mexico fiasco in the opening sequence as the main headline. So they got some kind of deal going with Eon. They are in bad financial shape, and I've seen ads at the bottom of articles asking for contributions.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:This article repeats the myth that Craig is some great actor who the Bond series is lucky to have.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/a ... -103756753
Doing Bond committed Craig to a plethora of TV commercials, fashion shoots, and commercial campaigns; amply rewarded work that’s no doubt burdensome all the same. The series’ most auteurish directors – Mendes, Martin Campbell – have not stuck around for more than two films, so to expect a performer of Craig’s stature to endlessly return is perhaps a little unreasonable
I saw that article Captain. I looked for this moron Pulver's contact email to let him have it but it is not on the website. He must be a paid EON lackey to write such garbage :!:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Complete crap, he does miserable job at those side assignments while getting paid very well. The Heineken beer ad with the boat they showed in theaters last time he look awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Veronica wrote:Oh yes dear poor Craig!! Must be terrible to do all those things many would like to do and get payed an awful lot of money!! This last part makes it sound like Craig is the second coming of Cary Grant who just keeps doing C grade films. Hilarious. I hate it when they make Craig look like some demi-god to whom we should be grateful to because he even considered this job.
Well said. I didn't bother reading the article when it was posted the other day, but I decided to check it out now for the hell of it. This particular bit of the article sums up one of the biggest problems I have with the Craig era:

"Part of the “traditional” Bond ethos was to use workmanlike directors and unthreatening actors – they posed little challenge to the producers and, much as we loved Roger, Sean and Pierce in the role, there was no sense they were bigger than Bond."

Which is why the series is now a pretentious soap opera, since certain cast and crew members think they are too high and mighty for traditional Bond films. Unfortunately, there are too many people who go along with this crap and shower Craig with so much praise for every little contribution he makes towards the series. Roger Moore made seven Bond films during his time in the role, and was an ambassador for the series afterwards pretty much until the end of his life. While I wouldn't go as far as to think of Moore as some god-like figure for this, I do find it disappointing that so many people tend to dismiss his work altogether and label him as a terrible Bond.

While some have already been celebrating Craig becoming the longest serving Bond actor, the hype will most likely pick up further once the new film is officially announced. Craig fans will state that this is a fact, but as I mentioned the other day, I don't think this is something to make a big deal over. If anything, it shows just how incompetent EON has become. Spending more time producing these films hasn't exactly made the quality of the scripts any better either. To me, declaring this as an achievement is pointless. In a way, it also feels like a slap in the face to Moore and his fans, considering that Moore passed away a few months ago. If this was the other way around, I'm sure it would be a different story.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

While I'd say no actor is bigger than Bond,to say out of them all Craig is the one that made that particular accomplishment is just delusional plain and simple.
What else is he known for besides his obscure work as Bond? Nothing comes to mind really(except perhaps Layer Cake and that's an IF). He resurfaces every three or four years when he makes another Bond movie but when that passes nobody really talks about him as far as I know.

Also loudly proclaiming Craig the longest serving Bond barely three months after Moore passed away? Have some respect. What Moore did and what Craig did for this franchise shouldn't even be compared. Moore was a great Bond,a great gentleman,a great man and he'll always be a great legend.

That story about a man meeting him once as a boy and then many years later and Moore remembering it and making the same joke again is one of the best things I've ever read.
Craig is a completely other story...and let's not even begin with the alleged claims of him demanding a co-star that would willingly shack it up with him.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

A quick "rant" on the bright side of Craig's return.

First and foremost, assuming the next film after Bond 25 premieres in 2022 the 60th anniversary, it whittles down the list of poor choices to be cast. Idris Elba will be too old at 49, most likely Tom Hardy as well at 45 and the ridiculous notion that Gillian Anderson will step in to the role will be put to bed as she will be 54. Tom Hiddleston will be 40 and (at least personally I hope) he will have lost interest and have found something else to preoccupy himself. On the flip side Henry Cavill will be 39 and may have his schedule open up by then (judging by the reception of his Superman films). Most promising is the forum favorite Aidian Turner will be 38 same as Craig when he blundered in to the role and will have become more polished as an actor.

Another Craig Bond also gives Babz one last chance to get all the brooding soap opera antics out of her system, also when it flops she will hopefully learn that audiences don't care for it no matter how hard she forces it down their throats and that any success enjoyed thus far was due to the fluke of the 50th anniversary (I know wishful thinking). At least it will give the new actor a fresh start without the baggage of a "Craig style" script (I know again wishful thinking).
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Shatterhand will NOT top ECH-tre at the box office DB and as I said, it won't come close to Wonder Woman's USA total either. Broccoli will NOT be happy by the general public's reaction to 'Cr-egg 5' and she will be made to do a Ralph Kramden on it's box office decline: [video][/video]
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

My next rant for the front page, tell me what you think.

Rant: 43 Fans of Mediocrity Rejoice

Well its official Daniel Craig has slashed his wrists, at least metaphorically speaking. Craig claims he “changed his mind” concerning his return to Bond. Not true, everyone forgets the entire quote. Craig said, “Now? I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists… If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.” Craig never said he would not return to Bond, no he said he would come back for a huge payday, and who can blame him? Over the last two years he took a good look over the desolate landscape that is his career and saw Bond was his only hope at staying relevant, unless you count a possible return in a Logan Luck sequel.

So now not only are we going to get another depressing, psychobabble infused mess of a film, we have the added benefit of an uninspired Craig simply seeking one last payday before he is effectively retired by the lack of roles waiting for him.

EON missed an opportunity to revitalize the series here (and save some money while doing it) but instead kept the course, once again they missed the warning signs as they did when the Bro-feld subplot was leaked during pre-production on SPECTRE. Most people are ready for a change, forums were a flutter, critics were enthusiastically speculating and magazine pieces were written on how it was time for a fresh face, which would have been unheard of a few years ago, these pundits where giddily taking odds on who would replace Craig, the iron was hot yet Babz could not or would not strike. So everyone fasten your seat belts for yet another mediocre melodrama featuring that buffed old guy from those Nugenix commercials (testosterone vitamins), sleepwalking his way through the stilted dialogue and Freudian ideology.

Look, while I don’t find Craig to be the ideal Bond, my problem has never really been with him, it’s the sappy direction the films took under his tenure, and I don’t blame him for that, although he did take some writing and production credit on a few of them. I’m disappointed over his return because it confirms there will be more of the same “soul searching”, “introspective”, “emotional”, claptrap foisted upon the public. Now there was no guarantee a new actor would have spelled the end of this nonsense, but hope sprung eternal and now it’s certain the status quo will continue. Bro-feld will return and the next film writes itself, where, spoiler alert, we begin with Madeline Swann's murder during the pre-titles, a schmaltzy title sequence devoid of any feminine forms and a “deep”, “emotional” journey of vengeance against Bro-feld for killing the only woman he ever loved, besides the other one and the one before her, because this time it's personal, no really, this time for realsies it's personal like for real! Yawn.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

dirtybenny wrote: Well its official Daniel Craig has slashed his wrists, at least metaphorically speaking. Craig claims he “changed his mind” concerning his return to Bond. Not true, everyone forgets the entire quote. Craig said, “Now? I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists… If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.” Craig never said he would not return to Bond, no he said he would come back for a huge payday, and who can blame him?
The typical excuses will be:

"But Craig was asked if he would come back to play Bond shortly after filming Spectre, so of course he would respond a bit harshly after all that hard and stressful work! Besides, Craig has a rather dry sense of humour, and you shouldn't take everything he says so seriously. Get over it, and quit constantly bringing up the wrist slashing comment, because it's so old and tiresome!"

Funny, they don't feel the same way when it comes to making old and tiresome comments about Moore or Brosnan on a daily basis. Speaking of Brosnan, I recall Craig fans making a big deal about Brosnan having a poor attitude after he was let go, or how he was asking for too much money. Overpaid Craig can be as rude as he wants, flat out state that he's only coming back for the money, and this is somehow acceptable.

I agree that It's certainly looking like Spectre will unfortunately be getting a sequel. If this truly is Craig's last Bond film, you can bet the soap opera drama will be cranked up to even more nauseating levels than before. Whenever I see fans suggesting various sappy ways to end the Craig era, I just think please don't give EON anymore ridiculous suggestions.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

d**n good!

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:d**n good!

Thanks Big O, for those interested the Rant has been posted with some minor grammatical changes and a title picture.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

A desolate landscape has to be the best way describe his career. As for all the people making up excuses for Craig I don't know why they even bother. We are not idiots he said what he said loud and clear,there is no other way around it.
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Veronica wrote:A desolate landscape has to be the best way describe his career. As for all the people making up excuses for Craig I don't know why they even bother. We are not idiots he said what he said loud and clear,there is no other way around it.
In his appearance on the Colbert show, he acknowledged as such. "I gave a stupid answer." Even if that was a P.R. talking point (which I don't know), it addressed the issue. But there are some fans that want to treat the franchise's leading man like a child. "He didn't mean it....It's just Dan's sense of humor," etc.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by Omega »

Good point. But it was not the first time he took a piss on the franchise, I bet every movie pr tour we could find at least one instance of it. The worst part and what he can not walk back is he is only doing for the money.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

It's been awhile so I thought I'd get out of the funk by just slapping a rant together out of a few ideas I had been working on but couldn't get traction on. As always please tell me what you think, what did I leave out and how can it be improved.

Rant: 44 #EtTu, Bond?

Recently the question has been asked how will Bond navigate the new #metoo era, the answer is the same way he navigated every other social change, by being a constant in an ever changing world of upheaval. When the hippies hit the scene in the late sixties did Connery’s Bond don a tie dyed dashiki, load his trusty gunmetal cigarette case with reefer and sing Kumbaya around a drum circle? Of course not, so why should Bond fundamentally change because the truth we all knew since the beginning of the film industry came to light, which is it’s full of creeps who force themselves on young naive aspiring actors?

In response to this movement a small yet very vocal minority has been building to a shrill crescendo recently, in which they demand, “It’s time for a female James Bond!” No, it seems it’s time to distract from the sexual abuse scandals in Hollywood and earn social justice points by pushing this ridiculous narrative. In much the same way the original movement was quickly sidetracked to “all abuse survivors” rather than its original specific target, the entertainment industry.

Short of going full “Jane Bond” many are saying Bond must give up his “womanizing ways” in order to meet the decree. Compared to the earlier eras if Bond had any less female contact at this point he’d be a Benedictine Monk! I don’t see how a debonair secret agent having consensual encounters with beautiful women is in any way comparable to a slovenly film producer pleasuring himself in to a potted plant while a horrified young starlet is forced to watch!

It’s quite obvious these folks don’t give a toss about Bond and are only trying to out “woke” each other, while blowing a smoke screen to divert attention from their friend’s crimes. I know this because their own words betray them. They call Bond sexist, misogynist, racist, xenophobic, etc. I can’t believe someone who feels Bond is so evil and deplorable watched any of the films more than once, let alone the entire series. So I must ask, how are these people qualified to be experts on Bond and what he “needs” to be?

The irony is if EON caved to every whim the warriors of social justice demanded, these folks still wouldn’t watch the films! Generally speaking people who hold these opinions don’t care for action adventure pictures.
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

I pretty much agree, dirtybenny. I think the core issue, that you identified in the past is that Bond is definitely not a misogynist. In the past the character has been very sexist, certainly but he's absolutely not a woman hater, quite the opposite and he never takes pleasure in hurting women; on the contrary more often than not he goes out of his way to help them. So what does this leave for his accusers? There's the fact that he flirts a lot - but as you noted it's between consenting adults and the flirting is always reciprocated. Perhaps in future he can only flirt if the woman makes the first move? The final possible fact against him is the fact that it appears that he sees to it that his encounters are short - something that may not have been mutually agreed. But that's a world away from abusive behavior. It's disrepectful, at worst. Hell, we never even see Bond breaking off an affair with a woman. Presumably he just keeps them waiting indefinitely, like Moneypenny. That's only an assumption though, as we never see it. They could leave him for all the viewer knows. There are plenty of women in the world that want superficial encounters too, so it's not necessarily a sexist trait of Bond's. It's just a bit superficial, but in some ways I think he's doing the women and himself a favor as the constant danger and traveling he undergoes means a longer relationship would almost certainly end in tears. It did with Tracy.

And yeah, the types that so badly want a female Bond, a black Bond, a dwarf Bond, a Martian Bond, must struggle through the existing movies and probably only enjoy them on a superficial level if they even watched any at all. I'm sure there are lots of reviewers of Bond movies that haven't seen many of them or read the books and the same probably even goes for some of the people involved in actually making the movies! Has Craig read all the books yet?
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Irony is Babs believe bond is evil and so does Craig, in Cr pr he said bond wasn’t yet the man we love to hate. But good luck googling that 12 years later

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

acid wrote:I pretty much agree, dirtybenny. I think the core issue, that you identified in the past is that Bond is definitely not a misogynist. In the past the character has been very sexist, certainly but he's absolutely not a woman hater, quite the opposite and he never takes pleasure in hurting women; on the contrary more often than not he goes out of his way to help them. So what does this leave for his accusers? There's the fact that he flirts a lot - but as you noted it's between consenting adults and the flirting is always reciprocated. Perhaps in future he can only flirt if the woman makes the first move? The final possible fact against him is the fact that it appears that he sees to it that his encounters are short - something that may not have been mutually agreed. But that's a world away from abusive behavior. It's disrepectful, at worst. Hell, we never even see Bond breaking off an affair with a woman. Presumably he just keeps them waiting indefinitely, like Moneypenny. That's only an assumption though, as we never see it. They could leave him for all the viewer knows. There are plenty of women in the world that want superficial encounters too, so it's not necessarily a sexist trait of Bond's. It's just a bit superficial, but in some ways I think he's doing the women and himself a favor as the constant danger and traveling he undergoes means a longer relationship would almost certainly end in tears. It did with Tracy.

And yeah, the types that so badly want a female Bond, a black Bond, a dwarf Bond, a Martian Bond, must struggle through the existing movies and probably only enjoy them on a superficial level if they even watched any at all. I'm sure there are lots of reviewers of Bond movies that haven't seen many of them or read the books and the same probably even goes for some of the people involved in actually making the movies! Has Craig read all the books yet?
good rant acid!

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:
acid wrote:I pretty much agree, dirtybenny. I think the core issue, that you identified in the past is that Bond is definitely not a misogynist. In the past the character has been very sexist, certainly but he's absolutely not a woman hater, quite the opposite and he never takes pleasure in hurting women; on the contrary more often than not he goes out of his way to help them. So what does this leave for his accusers? There's the fact that he flirts a lot - but as you noted it's between consenting adults and the flirting is always reciprocated. Perhaps in future he can only flirt if the woman makes the first move? The final possible fact against him is the fact that it appears that he sees to it that his encounters are short - something that may not have been mutually agreed. But that's a world away from abusive behavior. It's disrepectful, at worst. Hell, we never even see Bond breaking off an affair with a woman. Presumably he just keeps them waiting indefinitely, like Moneypenny. That's only an assumption though, as we never see it. They could leave him for all the viewer knows. There are plenty of women in the world that want superficial encounters too, so it's not necessarily a sexist trait of Bond's. It's just a bit superficial, but in some ways I think he's doing the women and himself a favor as the constant danger and traveling he undergoes means a longer relationship would almost certainly end in tears. It did with Tracy.

good rant acid!

Indeed good rant acid, I hope you don't mind if I steal a few words and phrases when I rewrite?
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

dirtybenny wrote:
Omega wrote:
acid wrote:good rant acid!

Indeed good rant acid, I hope you don't mind if I steal a few words and phrases when I rewrite?
Go right ahead :) Thanks both of you.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."