Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by acid »

Kristatos wrote:I've added another reply to Mr Stagg.
Amusingly there's still quite a heated discussion going on there with him. Looks like we also may have some new recruits, at least on the front page. :)
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I noticed that, though I can't really help but notice since as the author of the article I'm notified via email every time someone posts. I've been temped to reply a couple more times but I know the irony would be lost on him so I decided not to waste my time.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

acid wrote:
Amusingly there's still quite a heated discussion going on there with him. Looks like we also may have some new recruits, at least on the front page. :)
I have to say,your description of Skyfall as "stupid person's idea of a clever film" is completely on point.It might as well be the best description of that movie I've ever read.
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Veronica wrote:
acid wrote:
I have to say,your description of Skyfall as "stupid person's idea of a clever film" is completely on point.It might as well be the best description of that movie I've ever read.
Were you talking to me or Kristatos? He wrote it, but I like it too. :)
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

acid wrote:
Veronica wrote:
acid wrote:
Were you talking to me or Kristatos? He wrote it, but I like it too. :)
Gosh,I guess I replied to you by mistake. :lol:
I saw name "Kristatos" and immediately went to post the comment. :D
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

This Colin Stagg still uses the old "Go watch the Austin Powers films!" retort to address someone who wants the classic elements of Bond to return, even though Spectre's Brofeld plot twist has made that already lame comeback completely useless.
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I know Saint pretty sad, he has no real argument. His only points are to paraphrase Craig rules, Brosnan drools, some of the cast and production crew won Oscars for other projects years ago and you guys are losers. Of course the irony isn't lost on me that this clown spends an inordinate amount of time complaining on a site he can't stand, yet we are the losers! Also he demands we shut the site down, why? Are we striking a nerve? Did we expose a chink in he Craig armor? Of course the real answer is, this guys a loon.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Probably Craig himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:Probably Craig himself

Or his publicist!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

I couldn't help myself I replied to his latest insult, for those interested.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

dirtybenny wrote:I couldn't help myself I replied to his latest insult, for those interested.
The "sad virgins" insult is pathetic and ironic at the same time. Ironic because it comes from a man who likes Craig's Bond,a man who doesn't even seem to enjoy sex(IMO). His interpretation of the charecter comes off as almost sexless. The less said about Craig's stiff an awkward love scenes the better.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Right you are V, I always find it funny when a troll accuses others of being losers who are wasting their time, as if trolling isn't the greatest pastime of the loser set!

On a more positive note I don't know if Dalton fans such as Omega have seen THIS, just try to choke down the vomit where they insinuate "Craig shares more than a few similarities with Dalton" and the typical Moore bashing.

Also THIS makes for an interesting read, a rebuke of Craig by a Craig fan!
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by Omega »

What physical similarities ? Dalton is 6.2 handsome and a great actor, he was not a jacked up stunt man

Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

dirtybenny wrote:Right you are V, I always find it funny when a troll accuses others of being losers who are wasting their time, as if trolling isn't the greatest pastime of the loser set!

On a more positive note I don't know if Dalton fans such as Omega have seen THIS, just try to choke down the vomit where they insinuate "Craig shares more than a few similarities with Dalton" and the typical Moore bashing.

Also THIS makes for an interesting read, a rebuke of Craig by a Craig fan!
"A unique cocktail of machismo,raw intelligence and acting chops" that's a good joke,I have to admit.
Quantum of Solace underrated? If QOS is underrated DAD should have gotten 20 Oscars.
At least.
Brilliantly spitten "Do I look I give a d**n?" line?
Now that's just a tip of an iceberg.
As for that bashing of Brosnan era at the beginning it's all too familiar and dull.
Craig fan's need to make Craig look so much superior.
Carver and Graves were fun large hams unlike Waltz who is just a dull large ham in SP.

Comparison of Carver and Dr.Evil is completely useless ever since Mendes asked of us to take that brother thing completely seriously.

I didn't even bother to read the first article since I'm so sick of the "Craig rules Moore does not" schtick.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Very true V, the anti Brosnan, pro Craig tropes have gone beyond thread bear, but the point I'm making is the same man who gushed all that Craig love over CR and QOS also said this in the same article:

"...once esteemed luvvie and literary filmmaker Sam Mendes got his mitts on the franchise, this obsessing over the origin of Bond (chiming with the industrial trotting-out of superhero mythologies across the pond) was in full effect. Mendes and the franchise screenwriters misappropriated the spirit of the reboot and began to ogle too much on Bond’s core sense of trauma and status as “damaged goods” and churned out the most un-Bondian films yet in Skyfall and Spectre. Bond had been fatally reimagined as a bruised sentimentalist with a severe case of Freudian angst."

The author just hasn't caught on yet that this began with CR not in spite of it. There is a chink in the Craig armor and once he's pressed on (whenever that day comes) he will fall harder than any that came before him.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Funny to have skyfall & spectre be the beginning of the trouble when it began on a train when Crain met vesper, each Craig movie they thought was deeper than any bond before. Missing they got it wrong when the man ape blew up the foreign embassy after chasing a guy down with a bulldozer. Then loses his armor to a girl not even the level of a cheap date.
QOS how the hell does anybody defend that steaming pile? All the fan boys who complained about bond being too tough, ignore the free fall from a dc3 not even the a-team would steal.
Add in all the political crap about water and the us and U.K. Being the bad guys, just as bad or worse.
Cr was supposed to be in response to 9-11, aside from a throw away line about terrorists it's more to about a response to Jason Bourne and Batman begins

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I would say that it started in the second half of the Brosnan era. It seems to be very much a Purvis and Wade thing.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

I honestly think part of this fan's dislike for two of the Mendes's works comes from the fact that they mixed Freudian trumas with bits of what old school fans have been asking for. I fully agree(we all do) that this psychoanalizing in the last two films has nothing to do with Bond,either the cinematic or the one from Fleming's mind but calling any movie less Bondesque than QOS is a bit of a stretch. CR was also full of stupid analyzing of Craig's ID,ego and superego and I won't say anything about the absolute awfulness of the romance between Vesper and Craig. But according to this fan it's the greatest Bond movie ever. Never mind it said "f**k you,most famous drinking order in cinematic history". That just might be my pick for the worst moment of Craig era although all the sugary romance scenes, Brofeld and quasi-gay Bond are up there as well.
Last edited by Veronica on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:I would say that it started in the second half of the Brosnan era. It seems to be very much a Purvis and Wade thing.
I'm inclined to agree, TWINE was the beginning of the emotional baggage. Although as early as GE reference to Freud began to creep in.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Of course you're correct V, but I didn't post the article to rehash old arguments, but rather to illustrate this is the beginning to Craig's end.