Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
derekpayne
Lieutenant

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by derekpayne »

dirtybenny wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 pm Yeah Derek, I'm afraid it's only going to get worse before it gets better. Baz is not a trend setter, she's a good 4-5 years behind the times and that's with EON writing the movies as they film! You'd think, though a backward way to work, it would at least make the process nimble enough to ebb and flow. No, she had to copy Bourne though those films were a half decade old, then The Dark Knight 4 years too late and now Marvel after that train pulled into the station. So barring any miraculous epiphany at EON productions, we're doomed with more of the same for the near future.

Yes I agree, money Is king, and the safe money is following the trend as the safe bet, not the creative opportunities. If it were down to me, I'd go the opposite way. Bond is a naval intelligence officer ( the clue is in the word intelligence), not a body builder into parkour .

He also loves his job, being on mission, and living the high life. So let's see this guy. Hes a man in his 30s. Someone who comes alive with the thrill of the chase, who is clearly taking great pleasure at the world he is immersed in, and gets through it ultimately by relying on his wits and at times a health does of good luck.

I'd also pare back the action to make him human . One on.one fine, two against one and it's a real challenge. No cgi, no shaky cam, no john woo inspired action ( as much as I loved face off , Bourne et al ). Only 100% real stunts.

And finally very much like captain kirk, when the chips are down and all looks lost, he pulls it out of the bag with a slice of brilliant enginuity that reveals he really had a master plan all along.

D

I know I said finally, but one more. My view is a character Is a fixed point. James Bond is a white british male. 007 is James Bond.

So by all means, bring different genders /races in. But not as James Bond, and not 007. There are at least 8 other 00 numbers to choose from. Make a new character, with their own backstory and personalities.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

derekpayne wrote: I know I said finally, but one more. My view is a character Is a fixed point. James Bond is a white british male. 007 is James Bond.

So by all means, bring different genders /races in. But not as James Bond, and not 007. There are at least 8 other 00 numbers to choose from. Make a new character, with their own backstory and personalities.
I agree about James Bond, but not about 007. My old copy of The Bond Files, written when TND was the latest film in the series, lists three different 008s and no fewer than five 009s, along with multiple 00 numbers which have been used for two different people. Clearly, reusing numbers is commonplace in 00 section, though I think reusing 007 is something they could only really pull off once, unless they're going to keep having him supposedly come back from the dead.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
derekpayne
Lieutenant

Post by derekpayne »

Kristatos wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:39 am
derekpayne wrote: I know I said finally, but one more. My view is a character Is a fixed point. James Bond is a white british male. 007 is James Bond.

I agree about James Bond, but not about 007. My old copy of The Bond Files, written when TND was the latest film in the series, lists three different 008s and no fewer than five 009s, along with multiple 00 numbers which have been used for two different people. Clearly, reusing numbers is commonplace in 00 section, though I think reusing 007 is something they could only really pull off once, unless they're going to keep having him supposedly come back from the dead.

Oh yes , technically you are correct. Were Bond's MI6 real, when one 00 was retired , that number would become free, and available to be issued to a new Agent. By way of analogy, in the New Zealand golf club in Surrey in the Locker room the original wooden lockers have the names.of previous owners carved on them. When I get the chance I always go and have a look at the one that was once Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's .

But what I meant was to avoid the association with Bond , in the spirit of new and original and not being lazy, to leave 007 alone and pick a new number we have not seen. 009 for example. 008 for a lady ( sorry probably not allowed to say that).😉

And yes that way, Bond can always come back..
Irony-Man2
Lieutenant

Post by Irony-Man2 »

[

Yes I agree, money Is king, and the safe money is following the trend as the safe bet, not the creative opportunities. If it were down to me, I'd go the opposite way. Bond is a naval intelligence officer ( the clue is in the word intelligence), not a body builder into parkour .

He also loves his job, being on mission, and living the high life. So let's see this guy. Hes a man in his 30s. Someone who comes alive with the thrill of the chase, who is clearly taking great pleasure at the world he is immersed in, and gets through it ultimately by relying on his wits and at times a health does of good luck.

I'd also pare back the action to make him human . One on.one fine, two against one and it's a real challenge. No cgi, no shaky cam, no john woo inspired action ( as much as I loved face off , Bourne et al ). Only 100% real stunts.

And finally very much like captain kirk, when the chips are down and all looks lost, he pulls it out of the bag with a slice of brilliant enginuity that reveals he really had a master plan all along.

D

I know I said finally, but one more. My view is a character Is a fixed point. James Bond is a white british male. 007 is James Bond.

[/quote]

I always appreciated the way Brosnan's Bond always seem to be thinking when he was in a tight spot. Often it was just a flick of the eyes off to the side that seemed to indicate that he was processing and calculating the alternatives before committing. I don't know if Brosnan brought that to the character or if was the directors or editors who caught those moments and kept them in. He also let you see him sweat, putting paid to the overused proclamation that before Craig Bond was simply a superman.
Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

dirtybenny wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 am This is quite appropriate, I was mulling a rant in which I argue while he is quite popular and a long standing institution, Bond is not a billion dollar property, I guess Amazon agree. I'll have to do that one next after I finish NTTD.

DB, it looks like the folks at Amazon are prepping the battlefield to put Bond on TV by having the media create the narrative. I say Bezos plays Ernst Stavros Blofeld.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bond-pr ... ie-2021-10
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Jason wrote:
dirtybenny wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 am This is quite appropriate, I was mulling a rant in which I argue while he is quite popular and a long standing institution, Bond is not a billion dollar property, I guess Amazon agree. I'll have to do that one next after I finish NTTD.

DB, it looks like the folks at Amazon are prepping the battlefield to put Bond on TV by having the media create the narrative. I say Bezos plays Ernst Stavros Blofeld.

The quote with Babs was kind of interesting but could be out of context. Could be the first wave of Amazon’s attempting changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Jason wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:54 am

As I said elsewhere, Mr. Bezos did not buy MGM, just to let the Bond universe rot on the vine while Babz and Co. tan themselves in the Jamaican sun! For better or worse product must be made and not at EON's glacial pace.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Part 5:
http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... idnapping/

Part 6 will be a long one, so may take a little longer, we'll see how much free time I get this week.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

dirtybenny wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:02 pm Part 5:
http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... idnapping/

Part 6 will be a long one, so may take a little longer, we'll see how much free time I get this week.
I think you may end up having to spend few weeks in a sanitorium having to dissect these strange films!

The Where's Valdo joke reminds of bit in The Persuaders. A Russian woman says to Roger's Moore's character "vould you like some vine?". Roger says "vy not".
Bring back Bond!
Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

Question - Was Dalton considered for AVTAK? Some recent articles have suggested that and I'm not sure. Nothing was mentioned in Cubby's autobiography "When the Snow Melts". I know he was conidered after YOLT and for FYEO and OP.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by Omega »

I dunno. Apparently Dalton was a favorite of cubby, or at least highly thought of from a young age as being capable of being a good bond.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was quietly asked.

Supposedly before never say never again cubby sent every script to Connery first. Everyone assumes it was giving connery first dibs.
Strange stories come out about who was secretly contracted to be bond to have their contracts bought or contracted to be bond if something happens to the star.
Sam worthington was supposedly signed in 2005-06 and sent to boot camp to be come proficient with weapons before filming, Henry Cavill was Martin Campbell‘s favorite to be cast. Supposedly Martin Campbell thought he was having a say about who is cast and was pretty pissed about Craig who from the what we were told from people who claimed to have inside knowledge Craig actually had the troubles the tabloids published and
Campbell hated working with him and put him off to the second team to film.

So Dalton being asked or offered the role could be true. Kind of wish he’d be less a gentleman and talk about the time and what really happened. I think the only thing he’s ever said is that license to kill in trouble for the Director in the script, but he’s never talked about not coming back or what lead to him taking the role.

Part of it could be eon and Dalton sued a tabloid for publishing he wasn’t coming back to bond after LTK, might be hard to contradict what you said under oath

............ :007:
Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

Omega wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:40 am I dunno. Apparently Dalton was a favorite of cubby, or at least highly thought of from a young age as being capable of being a good bond.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was quietly asked.

Supposedly before never say never again cubby sent every script to Connery first. Everyone assumes it was giving connery first dibs.
Strange stories come out about who was secretly contracted to be bond to have their contracts bought or contracted to be bond if something happens to the star.
Sam worthington was supposedly signed in 2005-06 and sent to boot camp to be come proficient with weapons before filming, Henry Cavill was Martin Campbell‘s favorite to be cast. Supposedly Martin Campbell thought he was having a say about who is cast and was pretty pissed about Craig who from the what we were told from people who claimed to have inside knowledge Craig actually had the troubles the tabloids published and
Campbell hated working with him and put him off to the second team to film.

So Dalton being asked or offered the role could be true. Kind of wish he’d be less a gentleman and talk about the time and what really happened. I think the only thing he’s ever said is that license to kill in trouble for the Director in the script, but he’s never talked about not coming back or what lead to him taking the role.

Part of it could be eon and Dalton sued a tabloid for publishing he wasn’t coming back to bond after LTK, might be hard to contradict what you said under oath

Thanks for the info. Did not know that Cubby was going to Connery even while Moore was in the role. Of all the almost Bond stories my fav is that of Finlay Light. He was apparently signed for TLD or close to becoming Bond. Martin Campbell is right up there with Guy Hamilton, Terrence Young and John Glen for best Bond directors.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Sorry it took so long, here's part 6:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... h-mistake/
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

dirtybenny wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:57 pm Sorry it took so long, here's part 6:

Great, yet another risqué scene with Mr. Roper as Bond.

Thanks for the warning and another good rant, it's always worth the wait.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

LOL at "I'm Joe Message and I approve this Biden." Did you create this meme, or did you find it online?

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:49 pm LOL at "I'm Joe Message and I approve this Biden." Did you create this meme, or did you find it online?

I'm ashamed to admit Kris, I just pulled it off Google.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

The Saint 007 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:44 pm
dirtybenny wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:57 pm Sorry it took so long, here's part 6:

Great, yet another risqué scene with Mr. Roper as Bond.

Thanks for the warning and another good rant, it's always worth the wait.
Much obliged my friend, thankfully the underpants gnome was in the way, taking measurements for his skin suit, when I captured than screen shot!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:Next installment, hope you enjoy!

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... ue-crisis/
I fear even you have an uphill struggle trying to make this thing entertaining, but I did laugh at the "Felix countdown."

The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

dirtybenny wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:11 pm Next installment, hope you enjoy!

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... ue-crisis/
I pictured Woody Allen as Jimmy Bond voicing the countdown to Felix's death throughout the rant.

When you mentioned how Nomi left the key in the plane's ignition, it reminded me of a video I watched yesterday that pointed out other convenient moments in No Time To Die that make things too easy for Craig Bond and underwhelming for the audience.

Then there is the ridiculous Call Of Duty shoot-out scenes where everything is yet again too easy for Craig Bond. I recall the Craig fans calling Brosnan "Rambo" whenever he was gunning down the bad guys, but when Craig does it like he was in a shooter game on the lowest difficulty setting it's perfectly fine. This is unfortunately due to the stupid logic some people have that a serious tone somehow makes everything better. That same nonsense goes on in gaming as well.