Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: Dirty Benny's Weekly Rant

Post by dirtybenny »

The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

New rant, as always I enjoy your thoughts:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... interview/
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:New rant, as always I enjoy your thoughts:

It's encouraging to see that wanting a return to entertaining Bond, and away from emotional arcs, seems to be the mainstream sentiment now. It's not just the fan sites, people like Edgar Wright, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are saying it too. I remain opposed to the idea of making the films period pieces, though. It's the sort of thing that plays well with the fans, but I think it would be a tough sell to Mr and Mrs Joe Q Multiplex. The box office returns for the Man From UNCLE remake (which I rather liked) would appear to bear this out.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

Kristatos wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:24 am
dirtybenny wrote:New rant, as always I enjoy your thoughts:

It's encouraging to see that wanting a return to entertaining Bond, and away from emotional arcs, seems to be the mainstream sentiment now. It's not just the fan sites, people like Edgar Wright, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are saying it too. I remain opposed to the idea of making the films period pieces, though. It's the sort of thing that plays well with the fans, but I think it would be a tough sell to Mr and Mrs Joe Q Multiplex. The box office returns for the Man From UNCLE remake (which I rather liked) would appear to bear this out.

I agree Kris. Cubby always updated Bond but in present day using the formula from Goldfinger.
Mark
New Recruit

Post by Mark »

dirtybenny wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:28 am New rant, as always I enjoy your thoughts:

Informative rant but depressing with those hard-to-stomach quotes. Imagine their pride at their utterances being given a world stage, and that the series is "all theirs," to wield like a toy, or weapon. Beyond hope of repair.

What they'll probably do, if not forthcoming, sometime in the future (almost inevitably): Remakes! But botched, of course.

Period piece: I thought that's the way to go. Sure, Kris is right that its generally not digestible enough for the masses. However, I maintain if the story is good enough, it would appeal. Look at the success of Mad Men. It's always all about the story.

As for Amazon, well, The Grand Tour is at a high level of quality. If that's any indication, they could possibly produce something of that caliber for the Bond movies, and could triumph. Instead, they'll likely to continue down the catastrophic path they've already established.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Well said Mark, although I'd say they've already started in on remakes, wasn't No, Time To Die just a remake of On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Kristatos wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:24 am It's encouraging to see that wanting a return to entertaining Bond, and away from emotional arcs, seems to be the mainstream sentiment now. It's not just the fan sites, people like Edgar Wright, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are saying it too. I remain opposed to the idea of making the films period pieces, though. It's the sort of thing that plays well with the fans, but I think it would be a tough sell to Mr and Mrs Joe Q Multiplex. The box office returns for the Man From UNCLE remake (which I rather liked) would appear to bear this out.
Yes Kris, it is encouraging, but we know all too well what EON thinks of fan opinion.

As to a "period piece" I'm agnostic, it'd be interesting to see, but I also enjoy a contemporary take on Bond, that is when they actually want to give us "Bond" and not whatever the hell we've been subjected to the past decade and a half.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:New article on DCINB:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... return-in/
I have no idea what Goldeneye's plans for the site are once the next Bond film is released. However, since most of us are likely to be dead and gone by the time that happens, it's probably not worth planning for. The most likely scenario is that only the cockroaches will be left by that time, and so the next film will star a cockroach as Bond, and be written, produced and directed by cockroaches for an audience of cockroaches.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

dirtybenny wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:45 pm New article on DCINB:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... return-in/
DB, we hope all straightens out in your life and remember, health=wealth. If you have that, you are perpetually blessed! We dedicate this song to you DB, the poet laureate of the forum that does battle with the evil green non-giant on a daily basis!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

ONE FILM IN THE LAST 8 YEARS by Broccoli with no beginning in sight for the next film! Broccoli turned 63 YESTERDAY. I am sure Cr-egg sent her a token of his appreciation for making him richer than he ever could have achieved without her lust for him. This website deserves internet landmark status lasting 18 years and counting. Image The face that sunk the franchise. She probably ate this to celebrate yesterday as I am sure her refrigerator has enough of these Cr-eggsicles in it to last a lifetime! Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:46 am ONE FILM IN THE LAST 8 YEARS by Broccoli with no beginning in sight for the next film!
At this rate, we'll get one more film, maybe two, before Bond enters the public domain in 2034. Although I imagine EON will have their lawyers at the ready to protect anything that originated in the movies, like Q, or Blofeld's white cat.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:Finally a new proper rant!

https://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/ ... or-cavill/
Hooray!

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

New rant about the reality game show that came out last year:

http://danielcraigisnotbond.com/index/b ... 7-road-to/